Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

501 - 520 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Honda announced that all manual variants of the Civic with exception of Type R are discontinued for 2021 and onward. That includes Sport Sedan 2.0NA, Sport Hatch 1.5T, Sport Touring Hatch 1.5T and all coupe variants (both AT and MT). So, the CTR is the ONLY Honda left in USA that offers manual. Might as well be none because that car has very limited customer base and it's still $10K over MSRP. Bald move by Honda to kill all manuals.
The 2021 Civic Hatchback Sport and Sport Touring still come with a manual transmission.

Ah ok, I have seen that too; the Hybrid seems to have more power than the 1.5 but I am looking for the overall driving experience. I prioritize handling and engaging responses than pure power, though more power is fine too :). The thing is, I drive a lot and the Hybrid's MPG seem appealing. Then again, there are many vehicles nowadays that get great mileage without having to go the Hybrid route. I don't want to have to replace the battery or other components when the mileage is 150,000+ . If the 1.5T had the standard auto transmission, I might have looked at that model more closely.

I am confused when looking at my potential next car. I'm looking at various models. Fun to drive is one of the key factors. Good gas mileage is a bonus. Wondering if the Hybrid takes away any of that from the Accord. Thanks.
Only one way to find out... Go for some test drives! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Only one way to find out... Go for some test drives! :)
True that! When I'm more serious I will do it and by then the newer 2021s will be out. Just wondering about the long term ownership of the Hybrid Accord vs the 2.0T as well as long daily drives. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
According to autoevolution.com, CTR is the only MT left.
Honda's consumer and media websites both say there's a 6-speed manual on the 2021 Civic Hatchback Sport and Sport Touring. I'm inclined to believe the people who make the vehicles over a news outlet. And, that must be true because there are 70 of them currently listed for sale at dealerships across the nation according to CarGurus.com. :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Honda announced that all manual variants of the Civic with exception of Type R are discontinued for 2021 and onward. That includes Sport Sedan 2.0NA, Sport Hatch 1.5T, Sport Touring Hatch 1.5T and all coupe variants (both AT and MT). So, the CTR is the ONLY Honda left in USA that offers manual. Might as well be none because that car has very limited customer base and it's still $10K
over MSRP. Bald move by Honda to kill all manuals.
Let’s face it. For all practical purposes, manual transmissions are dead. Just like everything in this crazy mixed-up modern world in which we live.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honda announced that all manual variants of the Civic with exception of Type R are discontinued for 2021 and onward. That includes Sport Sedan 2.0NA, Sport Hatch 1.5T, Sport Touring Hatch 1.5T and all coupe variants (both AT and MT). So, the CTR is the ONLY Honda left in USA that offers manual. Might as well be none because that car has very limited customer base and it's still $10K over MSRP. Bald move by Honda to kill all manuals.
I believe Honda only dropped the manual for the Civic sedan. Everything I've read said you will still be able to get a manual with the 2021 Sport hatchback, Sport Touring hatchback, and the Type R. A lot of outlets are reporting that the manual is likely to return to the Civic sedan with the entirely new generation coming in 2022.

Autoblog - 2021 Honda Civic Drops Manual Transmission

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Isn’t an economy car like the Civic and Corolla suppose to at least offer a manual as an option?
When I think of "economy car", I think of an inexpensive car that also gets good fuel economy. Considering automatics and CVTs often offer better fuel economy (and performance) than manuals these days, I can understand why they're disappearing from economy cars (and performance cars - the Corvette no longer offers an automatic). :)

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
156 Posts
When I compare the 2021 EX-L hybrid with my 2020 EX-L hybrid, I'm a bit sad. The 2021 has these features which I've long been asking for:
  • parking sensors;
  • wireless Carplay;
  • wireless charging.

However, for 2021 model, if I choose modern metallic steel exterior color, only black interior is available; my 2020 model comes with ivory interior which is my favorite.

Some comments on the Touring hybrid 19" wheel is interesting. Personally I'd be willing to suffer this mpg loss for better look/handling, though 19"+40 series does sound too harsh. I'm currently running on 18" aftermarket wheels and 235/45/R18 tires. Continental PureContact LS.

They barely achieve 40 mpg in my recent several tanks. On highway >75mph I am getting used to 35mpg lol. However, given the excellent handling and wet traction improvement, this is still a good deal.

The Michelin Energy Saver A/S now looks like a cheating choice for manufacturers to claim high fuel economy as far as I'm concerned...but at big compromise of handling and wet traction. Consumers should at least have a choice to get rid of this tire if they want to.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I think of "economy car", I think of an inexpensive car that also gets good fuel economy. Considering automatics and CVTs often offer better fuel economy (and performance) than manuals these days, I can understand why they're disappearing from economy cars (and performance cars - the Corvette no longer offers an automatic). :)
I guess I’m just old school in my thinking that an economy car and a sports car like the Corvette should always offer a manual option. Why I wouldn’t even consider a Corvette without a manual transmission. They are just more sporting that way and who buys a Vette for economy? That’s not it’s purpose in life.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Michelin Energy Saver A/S now looks like a cheating choice for manufacturers to claim high fuel economy as far as I'm concerned...but at big compromise of handling and wet traction. Consumers should at least have a choice to get rid of this tire if they want to.
Sadly, most consumers probably don't even bother looking at the brand or type of tire that's on the car... that is until they either are faced with the replacement cost when they wear out- or even worse- when they are in the ditch when they suddenly realize that their car is equipped with summer performance tires rather than all-season tires. That happened to one of my coworkers- he wasn't driving a sports car either- it was a midsize sedan- I don't remember which one- but I remember him complaining that he had no idea that the car (that he purchased new in Wisconsin) came from the factory with 'summer' tires.

I know that I never looked at the type of tires that were on the first new car that I bought. They didn't last long and I was surprised to find out the cost of decent replacement tires. Lesson learned. Now I specifically look at the brand, size, and investigate the replacement cost of the tires on every car I buy before I buy it. Sometimes manufacturers equip cars with tires from different companies- and I'm not against demanding that they swap them before I'll sign for the purchase. My 2007 Camry Hybrid, for example, came equipped from the factory with either cheap Bridgestones (that were actually quite expensive to replace) or top-shelf Michelins that rode nicer, lasted much longer, and handled much better in the snow.

I guess I’m just old school in my thinking that an economy car and a sports car like the Corvette should always offer a manual option. Why I wouldn’t even consider a Corvette without a manual transmission. They are just more sporting that way and who buys a Vette for economy? That’s not it’s purpose in life.
Manufacturers respond to consumer demand. The demand for manuals continues to decline- other than for very specific / narrow market segments. If people want to 'save the manuals', they better be prepared to buy them and encourage others to do so as well. While there is certainly a small fan group for manual-equipped Accords- the end result is that not many people actually bought them. Heck, the last manual-equipped 2.0t Accord rolled off the line in December of 2019... and I don't think I saw anyone complain about the loss of the Accord until around May or June of 2020. Many didn't even realize that Honda stopped making them until they actually announced it.

People were equally saddened by the loss of the Accord Coupe (I know I was). As soon as Honda announced that it was discontinuing the coupe, I said to myself that I was going to keep my 2016 for a very long time- and really pamper it. There were actually two Accord Coupes in my family- my 2016 and a 2009 top-shelf V6 that my mother-in-law owned. Continued ownership just wasn't in the cards- because my coupe was totaled by a guy who ran a red light this past May and the 2009 V6 required an engine rebuild or replacement in June (Granted, that Accord had almost 300,000 miles on the odometer). I think I remember reading somewhere that only about 5% of Accord sales were the coupe in the final year... It's hard to justify the continued expense of keeping a car around if so few people are buying it. Even after Honda announced that they were discontinuing the coupe- my local Honda dealer still had new Accord Coupes for sale well into the first few months of 2018.

I would have loved to walk back into my local Honda dealer and plunk down the healthy settlement check from my accident on a really nice Accord Coupe with all the bells and whistles... but nope. I settled for a Sport 2.0t instead. I suppose it was the next-best thing. My mother-in-law refuses to own a car with an automatic, so she shocked us all when she replaced her still-practical Accord with a not-so-practical manual Mazda MX-5 Miata.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought this was just true for the civic SEDAN. Doesn't the hatch 1.5t still offer manual on Sport and Sport Touring models?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I consider myself a manual enthusiast, and yes, it is becoming harder to find new vehicles that are equipped with manual transmission. While I would prefer a manual car to an automatic, this is not the only criteria I have when selecting a new car. I've been casually looking around at cars for a little while now, and have had absolutely no interest in the new Honda Accord. While I appreciate that the earlier models came with a manual transmission, the looks of the car turned me away. I feel like the Civic is a better looking car (at least right now), and for that reason, I may end up with one eventually. It's just a bonus for me that I can get one with a manual transmission. On the other hand, if the looks of the Accord improve, I would certainly consider one even with the automatic transmission. People who know my posts know that I was a big fan of the Accord Coupe, but I still think that older models of the Accord had better looking sedan models.

·
Registered
2018 Accord LX, 2013 Accord Sport manual (sold), 2012 Accord LX manual (sold)
2 Posts
I'm sure it's probably too late, but does anyone know of a brand new manual accord still out there?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have been driving since 1981 and in all that time I only had one manual transmission car. That was a 1988 Prelude Si 2.0 with 5-speed. I bought it in 1995 from the original owner and I owned it as a second car for two years. I loved the way that car drove. I had to teach myself how to drive a stick and loved it. However it was my weekend car and not the one I drove through traffic on daily commute.

·
More cars, more problems
70 Posts
I'm pushing 40, and I've never bought an automatic in my life. I only considered (and bought) an Accord since it was available with a manual - Otherwise, I probably would've went BMW/Audi (or in an alternate universe where Saab is still alive, another Saab since I'm a special kind of masochist).

I know I'm going to have to give up with that mandate eventually since my next DD will more than likely be an EV. I'll probably always own a manual or two as long as they (and internal combustion cars) remain relatively economical to operate.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm sure it's probably too late, but does anyone know of a brand new manual accord still out there?
I looked on cars.com and did a nationwide search for a new 2020 Accord with a manual transmission and it listed one result- a blue 1.5 Sport in California. It's listed as 'new' (both on cars.com and on the dealer's website), but the dealer's website says that it has 25k miles on it... so I'm not sure if it is a demo or if it's just that some fool at the dealership clicked the wrong button when they added it to their inventory and listed it as 'new' when it should have been listed as 'used'.

I did, however, find a sweet 2020 2.0t Sport with a manual transmission with only 3,600 miles on it in Elgin, Illinois. It's listed for $31,000... and if someone wants it, they should move fast. At first I wondered why someone would buy a new car like that, tint the windows, and then get rid of it... maybe it has an irritating issue or something that's not covered under warranty... but the more I thought about it- it might just be someone who lost their job due to Covid-19 or something like that.

Regardless, if someone wants it- they should contact the dealer tomorrow morning as soon as they open.

Reactions: ATrn

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's a good chance my next car will be a 10G Accord hybrid. Tho I think it is way overstyled and will not age well but a good deal with all it offers. But it will be a shock coming from my 6MT, 6 cylinder 03 Acura CL Type S. Love the coupes, had Preludes, Legend coupes and 2 CL-Ss.

The market has left us coupe shifters way behind, esp Acura. My 03 CLs was the last manual coupe from Acura except the wasted NSX. Every Honda Acura I've owned has been dropped.
Oh well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder when we'll starting seeing 2021 Accord listing on Cargurus and Autotrader? I've been using nationwide searches on those sites and there still aren't any 2021 Accords listed as of this morning. I'd just like to see some real photos from the dealerships instead of the same old PR shots from Honda.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I wonder when we'll starting seeing 2021 Accord listing on Cargurus and Autotrader? I've been using nationwide searches on those sites and there still aren't any 2021 Accords listed as of this morning. I'd just like to see some real photos from the dealerships instead of the same old PR shots from Honda.
The highest volume Honda dealer in the world is in Cerritos, CA. Honda's inventory tool shows dozens of 2021 Accords to be in transit to that dealer, but none on the lot. The closest Honda dealer to where Accords are made in Marysville shows several 2021 Accords on the lot, but there are no photos yet. I suspect they've only began arriving in the last few days and it may be several more days to a few weeks before listings with photos begin to appear.

501 - 520 of 533 Posts