Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

581 - 600 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dealer where I got my 2.0T 6M is notorious for adding junk to cars before they're even up for sale. I knew this by scouting them out beforehand so when the car got to the lot, I showed up unannounced that same day before they even put the fuse in. I went on a test drive with literally no miles and I told the guy that came on the drive with me that if I'm going to consider the car, they are to not touch it to install any of their junk. He said it's the dealership policy. I told him well it's my policy not to buy in that case. So we get back and he goes and tells the manager what I said. The manager comes over, obnoxious looking guy out of 90s with high pants and tight shirt tucked in with gold bracelet and pinky finger ring. He goes on a 15 minute rant why their package is so awesome. I waited and didn't interrupt. When he paused to breathe, I told him just a short "no, thanks". He left in frustration but he toed the line not to become unprofessional. We did the deal of course but it took more time to argue about the add-ons than anything else. I turned down everything, that package, paint protection, extra warranties for tires, wheels, powertrain, etc. You just have to keep reminding yourself that those few hours are a necessary evil in order to get the car you want. Never keep your guard down, go ALONE - never go with anyone because they'll tag team you and turn you on each other, manipulate couples and all that. Don't go hungry. Don't go tired. And always, always remember that the F&I office is not just "sign the paperwork" - it's even more aggressive high pressure sale tactics than the car itself. Say no to everything in that room and I mean EVERYTHING. Get Honda Care at 35,999 miles or 2 years, 364 days after you buy the car. Buy the HC online for 30% of what dealer would have charged.
EXACTLY. The F&I office will try and "forget" what APR and incentives you were offered too.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dealer where I got my 2.0T 6M is notorious for adding junk to cars before they're even up for sale. I knew this by scouting them out beforehand so when the car got to the lot, I showed up unannounced that same day before they even put the fuse in. I went on a test drive with literally no miles and I told the guy that came on the drive with me that if I'm going to consider the car, they are to not touch it to install any of their junk. He said it's the dealership policy. I told him well it's my policy not to buy in that case. So we get back and he goes and tells the manager what I said. The manager comes over, obnoxious looking guy out of 90s with high pants and tight shirt tucked in with gold bracelet and pinky finger ring. He goes on a 15 minute rant why their package is so awesome. I waited and didn't interrupt. When he paused to breathe, I told him just a short "no, thanks". He left in frustration but he toed the line not to become unprofessional. We did the deal of course but it took more time to argue about the add-ons than anything else. I turned down everything, that package, paint protection, extra warranties for tires, wheels, powertrain, etc. You just have to keep reminding yourself that those few hours are a necessary evil in order to get the car you want. Never keep your guard down, go ALONE - never go with anyone because they'll tag team you and turn you on each other, manipulate couples and all that. Don't go hungry. Don't go tired. And always, always remember that the F&I office is not just "sign the paperwork" - it's even more aggressive high pressure sale tactics than the car itself. Say no to everything in that room and I mean EVERYTHING. Get Honda Care at 35,999 miles or 2 years, 364 days after you buy the car. Buy the HC online for 30% of what dealer would have charged.
Where do I get Honda Care these days?

Power tilt and telescoping wheel...not a massively needed feature, but would be nice on the nearly $40K Touring trim.

The heated steering wheel has been available for a few years in certain markets...not the US.

If the Camry and other similar sedans can have pano roofs, the Accord should be able to.

Camry has a 360/birds eye view...so you would think honda would want to keep up to date with competitors...but who knows, maybe not :)
The 360 camera and heated wheel will almost certainly head to the US market on the 11th gen Accord.

Puzzled by why you think it won’t happen in Accord. Arch-rival Camry has it, and other brands too. Seems like it would be easy to do.
Gotta find space for the 4-6 cameras on the car. If the space doesn't exist..... gotta produce nee mirror housings and front/rest body panals.

·
Super Moderator
1,694 Posts
The 360 camera and heated wheel will almost certainly head to the US market on the 11th gen Accord.

Assuming there will be an 11th Accord. :)

Just over the past 5 years, Accord sales have fallen from over 30,000 per month to less than 20,000 per month. Will Honda sell fewer than 10,000 per month in another five years? Will the Civic be Honda's last sedan? If there is an 11th Accord, will it be built by GM?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Where do I get Honda Care these days?

Saccucci Honda - Saccucci Honda: Honda Dealership in Middletown, RI

Wife got a 2020 CRV EX-L this summer and their quote was $900 for 5y/100k (beyond bump-bump). Dealers want upward of $1600 for 4y/80k.

@zroger73 - Can you please change or delete first post in this thread? It's an eye sore and embarrassing to look at. This forum is the first one in Google search for anything Accord related and this thread is one of the most important/visited threads on the forum and new members that come here are met with obscenity and vulgarism.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Assuming there will be an 11th Accord. :)

Just over the past 5 years, Accord sales have fallen from over 30,000 per month to less than 20,000 per month. Will Honda sell fewer than 10,000 per month in another five years? Will the Civic be Honda's last sedan? If there is an 11th Accord, will it be built by GM?

View attachment 526609
Maybe, although it would be an EV.....

I think there will be an 11th, although it'll probably be hybrid ONLY

·
Registered
279 Posts
Maybe, although it would be an EV.....

I think there will be an 11th, although it'll probably be hybrid ONLY

Not to toot my own horn but since I predicted V6 being gone for 10th gen as well as coupe getting discontinued. Then I also predicated 6MT getting cut for MMC refresh (I called it over a year ago). There was a guy here who said he has a friend that works 2nd shift on Accord's assembly line in Ohio. He said back in December 2019 that they stopped production of MT. Car and Driver said in July this year after the announcement how they didn't know production ended back in Dec19, so even a magazine like that didn't know it. I wish I could find where that guy said it, search didn't yield any results but I vividly remember it. Anyway, based on Honda's CEO saying they are cutting 5 trims from Accord in next few years (back in 2018) it's on schedule so far (1.5T 6M, 2.0T 6M, EX-L 2.0T, Touring 1.5T and EX 1.5T). Also, Honda has already announced no IC engines by 2050 which isn't really that far away. I can totally see 2023 Accord offering just two IC trims, a base 1.5T LX and 2.0T Touring and the rest to be hybrids and likely an EVs).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gotta find space for the 4-6 cameras on the car. If the space doesn't exist..... gotta produce nee mirror housings and front/rest body panals.

I guess I just have to fall back on that if the Camry and several other Manufactures can do it, why couldn't Honda? I'd like to think that Honda Engineers can find a spot for a few extra small cameras.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Puzzled by why you think it won’t happen in Accord. Arch-rival Camry has it, and other brands too. Seems like it would be easy to do.
Not really - requires a number of cams to stitch the view together... not trivial - 10th Gen Accord is locked in after the mid-cycle refresh. R&D spending is nearing the end - bug fixes from now...

11th Gen - maybe, depends on where Honda is - keep in mind the GM agreement for SuperCruise and the platform rollout there...

·
Registered
87 Posts
When can we expect 11th Gen Honda Accord, 2022 or 2023? Any chance of AWD? seems like that's where Sedan are headed--Nissan/Toyota.

·
Registered
771 Posts
When can we expect 11th Gen Honda Accord, 2022 or 2023? Any chance of AWD? seems like that's where Sedan are headed--Nissan/Toyota.
If Honda follows its usual generational timelines- North America will get a new generation of Accord for the 2023. With that said- the pandemic has thrown a wrench into both production and supply- so who knows if Honda will bump a year.
Toyota has always stuck to a five year life cycle for the Camry- but they sold the 7th Generation of the Camry (2012-2017) for six years after opting for a heavy mid-cycle update in 2015 and rebuilding the car from the ground up for the 2018 model year.

As for trying to predict the features or changes for the 11th Generation- unless you have a time machine or a crystal ball- we'll have to wait a while longer before we learn anything. Honda is generally pretty tight-lipped about that stuff. I was amazed that they released images and details about the new Civic so soon- months before it goes on sale.

As for AWD, I'm not sure how much demand there is for it. Sure, some competitors offer it- but I'm not necessarily convinced that actual sales data for those competitors paint a realistic picture of actual consumer demand. For the Camry, for instance, Toyota seems to be pushing a lot of them out on dealer lots- at least in SE Wisconsin. I don't think they are selling because people want them- but rather because there just isn't a lot of selection regarding Camrys in SE Wisconsin right now. People are buying what's available- which isn't much.

My local Toyota dealer- which is the largest one in the state in terms of sales- only has nine new Camrys on the lot right now. Before the pandemic, they consistently had nearly 100 on the lot. Of the nine, four are AWD. This was true a few months ago when the selection was a bit better- they had about 40 Camrys on the lot last fall- and roughly half of them were AWD.

I also noticed that that Toyota dealer is offering higher advertised discounts for AWD Camrys compared to FWD Camrys. As a result, AWD Camrys are only about $1000 more expensive than their FWD counterparts. Some trim levels- like the popular SE trim- are only available in AWD right now at the dealership.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If Honda follows its usual generational timelines- North America will get a new generation of Accord for the 2023. With that said- the pandemic has thrown a wrench into both production and supply- so who knows if Honda will bump a year.
Toyota has always stuck to a five year life cycle for the Camry- but they sold the 7th Generation of the Camry (2012-2017) for six years after opting for a heavy mid-cycle update in 2015 and rebuilding the car from the ground up for the 2018 model year.

As for trying to predict the features or changes for the 11th Generation- unless you have a time machine or a crystal ball- we'll have to wait a while longer before we learn anything. Honda is generally pretty tight-lipped about that stuff. I was amazed that they released images and details about the new Civic so soon- months before it goes on sale.

As for AWD, I'm not sure how much demand there is for it. Sure, some competitors offer it- but I'm not necessarily convinced that actual sales data for those competitors paint a realistic picture of actual consumer demand. For the Camry, for instance, Toyota seems to be pushing a lot of them out on dealer lots- at least in SE Wisconsin. I don't think they are selling because people want them- but rather because there just isn't a lot of selection regarding Camrys in SE Wisconsin right now. People are buying what's available- which isn't much.

My local Toyota dealer- which is the largest one in the state in terms of sales- only has nine new Camrys on the lot right now. Before the pandemic, they consistently had nearly 100 on the lot. Of the nine, four are AWD. This was true a few months ago when the selection was a bit better- they had about 40 Camrys on the lot last fall- and roughly half of them were AWD.

I also noticed that that Toyota dealer is offering higher advertised discounts for AWD Camrys compared to FWD Camrys. As a result, AWD Camrys are only about $1000 more expensive than their FWD counterparts. Some trim levels- like the popular SE trim- are only available in AWD right now at the dealership.
I looking for a RAV4 for the bride very little Toyota anything around here. I don't understand how the RAV4 can be the top selling car when there are so few available. Yesterday, I read that they shut the plant due to Covid. My local Honda dealer has like 100 CRV's available but never liked the looks and I have zero confidence in the 1.5. My 2014 Accord is coming to an end (HondaCare expires a week from today) so that's my signal to start looking. I would like to get a Camry V6 but talk about impossible. The sedan would be just for fun (I have a Passport that would get most of the use during the winter) so as much as I frown on the 2.0t for its ugliness and 4 banger I may have no choice as I suppose the Accord aces the fun factor. 2.0t Sports seem doable enough around here maybe not in the desired color but for me any color is ok except for black. After 7 years I've never gotten tired of my 2014 and it's been an awesome highway car. Great MPG's, perfect brake pedal, eats hills, closes gaps (I hate to be passed before an exit ramp). The trans is slow and it's jerkiness is only exposed when it's floored which for me is rarely. So unless a V6 Camry shows up locally a 2.0t Sport lease or purchase may be the answer or I can just use the Passport. It's a nice ride but more of a tool and has zip fun factor.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I looking for a RAV4 for the bride very little Toyota anything around here. I don't understand how the RAV4 can be the top selling car when there are so few available. Yesterday, I read that they shut the plant due to Covid. My local Honda dealer has like 100 CRV's available but never liked the looks and I have zero confidence in the 1.5. My 2014 Accord is coming to an end (HondaCare expires a week from today) so that's my signal to start looking. I would like to get a Camry V6 but talk about impossible. The sedan would be just for fun (I have a Passport that would get most of the use during the winter) so as much as I frown on the 2.0t for its ugliness and 4 banger I may have no choice as I suppose the Accord aces the fun factor. 2.0t Sports seem doable enough around here maybe not in the desired color but for me any color is ok except for black. After 7 years I've never gotten tired of my 2014 and it's been an awesome highway car. Great MPG's, perfect brake pedal, eats hills, closes gaps (I hate to be passed before an exit ramp). The trans is slow and it's jerkiness is only exposed when it's floored which for me is rarely. So unless a V6 Camry shows up locally a 2.0t Sport lease or purchase may be the answer or I can just use the Passport. It's a nice ride but more of a tool and has zip fun factor.
In the case of my local Toyota dealer, the shortage of Rav4s is really awful right now- but rewind a month or two and there was a decent supply- not the normal supply they usually have but 40ish on the lot.

Either Honda had more in the pipeline or the supply shortages haven't hit my local dealers yet. My local Honda dealer still has 132 CR-Vs in stock. I'm on the fence regarding the CR-V. My wife and I have been window shopping for a vehicle to possibly replace her 2007 Camry- but we really aren't in a hurry. We've largely narrowed it down to a Rav4, CR-V, or a Subaru Outback. I too have reservations about the 1.5t motor in the CR-V. I know that Honda had issues early in the current CR-V's life cycle- but Honda says that they've solved that issue. I'm not 100% convinced of that fact- but we are keeping it on our shopping list just because other than my concerns with the 1.5t, the CR-V offers a really nice overall package. She likes the Rav4, but we'd have to spend more on it compared to the CR-V to get the options that we'd want. We like the Outback too- but the start-stop system in those is annoying and not smooth. You can turn it off- but that's just an annoying thing to have to do each time you start the car. Subaru, like Toyota, forces you to buy an upper trim level in order to get some of the options that we want.

We aren't really happy with any of the three to the point of paying money for them- so she continues to drive her 2007 Camry- which is reliable and doesn't show any signs of trouble. Plus- I'd never buy a new car right now unless I absolutely had to. Prices are ridiculously high right now due to the shortages and high demand.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think predictions are sketchier than ever due to Covid and chip shortages.
Most automakers having dropped sedans makes it really a guess what's in store for Accord. Just following old practices is not gonna cut it, especially with electrified vehicles seemingly taking over.

A Plug in Hybrid Accord could be appealing with a 50 mile battery like the Clarity but most buyers want SUVs and Accord buyers didn't buy the Hybrid. The new Civic will eat into Accord sales and an all-wheel drive Accord would eat into Acura sales. If there is another Accord I'd like it to be smaller but then it's closer to the Civic.

Wouldn't be totally shocked if there were no more Accords but with less sedan competition out there that is at least one incentive to keep it.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,921 Posts
A Plug in Hybrid Accord could be appealing with a 50 mile battery like the Clarity but most buyers want SUVs and Accord buyers didn't buy the Hybrid
Honda sold 199,458 Accords in 2020 of which 18,229 were hybrids. That's 9.14% of all Accords sold that year.

Sales Highlights

Honda wrapped a globally-challenging year on a positive note with a 4.2% December gain for trucks, plus a new record for electrified vehicles and a double record for Passport.
  • Led by strong sales of the CR-V Hybrid (24,406) and Accord Hybrid (18,229), Honda posted record sales of electrified vehicles for the third straight year, totaling 62,982 in 2020.

That's a higher take rate than the Accord coupe. At its peak, the coupe represented 9% of total Accord sales and 5% when Honda decided to discontinue it.

The Accord coupe's sales are either good or bad depending upon how you look at it. We reached out to Honda for some insight and our contact Jessica Pawl was kind enough to do some digging. She told us that the modern Accord coupe sold at its peak in the neighborhood of 9% of total Accord sales in 2013. However, that percentage dropped steadily to under 6% in 2016. As a percentage of the Accord's sales, the coupe was just a small contributor. But if one steps back and multiplies the percentage sold by the total, it is an impressive number. 5% of about 300K cars per year is 15,000 cars!

Meanwhile, Accord hybrid sales are increasing every year and represent a larger and larger percentage of overall Accord sales.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wouldn't be totally shocked if there were no more Accords but with less sedan competition out there that is at least one incentive to keep it.
Honda sold 199,458 Accords in 2020 of which 18,229 were hybrids. That's 9.14% of all Accords sold that year.
I think 2020 was a lousy year for car sales in general. The Accord had its worst year in a while- but I don't think that it was due to it being unpopular. I think it sold in low numbers in 2020 (like most vehicles) due to all of the stuff with Covid.

Accord sales show signs of life lately. It's hard to make comparisons due to the shutdowns last year- but apparently Honda moved 6,100 more Accords in March of this year compared to last year. (That could very well be due to the shutdowns that started in mid-March of last year). Total sales as of April 1st are about the same- but with the increase in demand lately- I'd be curious to see how April 2021 Accord sales end up. Thanks to the stimmy payments, many Americans have a fair amount of cash on hand and seem to be flocking to dealerships. The only downside is that in many areas- supply is low due to supply shortages. Supply seems to be different depending on where you are in the country and the manufacturer though. Toyotas in my area are in extremely short supply while Hondas seem to be widely available. Other areas of the country might be different thought.

I do agree that Honda is moving more Hybrid Accords than ever before... probably because they are producing more of them than ever before- AND because the current Accord Hybrid is just a really appealing package.

Given the new, very ambitious goals in states like California and Washington- I see Honda and other manufacturers significantly investing in electric and hybrid vehicles going forward. I don't see the 11th Generation Accord offering an electric power option (like the Rav4 Prime)... but I see them going in that direction for the generation after that... which would be right around when states like California and Washington are planning to ban cars with internal combustion engines.

Honda likely spent a fortune on developing the current setup for the Accord Hybrid. I don't see them using it for a few years and then throwing it out for something brand new. That's generally not the way that Honda operates. I see them continuing to offer the three existing powertrains with the 11th Generation- maybe with small changes. Even four years in- all three are still very competitive in the segment.

·
More cars, more problems
237 Posts
Holy crap is the Accord ever getting expensive.

The invoice price for my 2019 Sport 2.0T: $33,390.

Current MSRP price on honda.ca for a 2021 Sport 2.0T: $37,070.

In two years, that's a 9% increase. What the heck?

·
Registered
771 Posts
In US:

2019 Sport 2.0t MSRP, including delivery: $31,640
2021 Sport 2.0t MSRP, including delivery: $33,105

That's an increase of about 4.5%. Between 2019 and 2021, inflation has been roughly 3.6%, so Honda really has only increased the price of the Accord between 2019 and 2021 by about 0.9%. Given that they added a few features with the 2021 refresh, it seems fair. You'll need to add $399 for some colors that Honda started charging extra for in 2021 (listed below)

It seems like you have some annoying fees in Canada- some by Honda- some by your government- that's increasing the price. I'm not sure if those fees are new or have increased since 2019.

According to Honda Canada's website- the base MSRP of a 2021 Accord 2.0t Sport is $33,870. Honda apparently charges you an extra $300 in Canada regardless of which color you want. In the U.S., only some colors have extra fees starting with the 2021 model year (Still Night Pearl, Sonic Gray, Platinum White, Radiant Red Metallic). Honda also charges $1700 for delivery fees in Canada (compared to $995 in US). There's also a $100 "Air Conditioner Fee", a $20 "tire duty", $10 for something called OMVIC, and a $1 "Environmental fee".

With all of that- Honda Canada's website lists the total cost of a 2021 Accord Sport 2.0t as $36,001.

·
More cars, more problems
237 Posts
It seems like you have some annoying fees in Canada
I didn't include any fees, what I put in for what I paid is line #1 of my itemized bill of sale, same with the website, I am quoting MSRP.

Edit: Here's the invoice with the VIN:

2021 Accord Sport 2.0t as $36,001
$36,001 is the MSRP of an Accord Sport (without the 2.0T).

This is the MSRP for Sport 2.0T: $37,070

·
Registered
771 Posts
This is the MSRP for Sport 2.0T: $37,070
I stand corrected. I forgot to select the 2.0t option. The building tool in Canada works a bit differently than the one for the United States. In the U.S., to get the Sport 2.0t trim, you select the Sport trim and then opt for the 2.0t engine on the next page. In Canada it's listed as a completely separate trim. My mistake.

581 - 600 of 612 Posts