Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

601 - 612 of 612 Posts

·
More cars, more problems
237 Posts
My mistake.
All good :D

To allude to what you said earlier, at least in Canada, the price that Accords are commanding are more than twice inflation. I guess I'm getting worried for other reasons.

·
Registered
771 Posts
All good :D

To allude to what you said earlier, at least in Canada, the price that Accords are commanding are more than twice inflation. I guess I'm getting worried for other reasons.

That's really unfortunate. The Accord is one of the only midsize sedans that I would buy that is available with a higher-output engine without spending a fortune... at least in the U.S. for now.

A Camry with the V6 is now really expensive here- not including the TRD. In the U.S., it's hard to find a V6 Camry without all the option packages- which push the MSRP to nearly $40 grand. I appreciate that Honda still offers the 2.0t Sport for just over $30 grand here... and if you play your cards right and buy at the right time- you usually can get one for less. I only had to pay $27 grand for my 2019 2.0t Sport. A pretty good deal in my opinion.

I can't imagine spending nearly $40k for a V6 Camry... or even $38k for an Accord Touring. That's Base TLX or even base ES350 money.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
With discounts an Avalon XLE can be in the low 30's. If that TRD Camry didn't have that stupid wing it would would be worth a look. Most V6's I see for sale are TRD's.

·
Registered
771 Posts
With discounts an Avalon XLE can be in the low 30's. If that TRD Camry didn't have that stupid wing it would would be worth a look. Most V6's I see for sale are TRD's.
I agree with your assessment about the TRD. If they would tone down the look a bit- it might be worth considering. If Toyota would actually produce V6 XLE or V6 XSE trims without the option packages- they would be affordable. Technically you can configure a V6 XLE for about $36,000 on their website- but good luck finding one in real life- especially right now. (At least in my neck of the woods).

Last year when I bought my 2.0t Sport- I crossed-shopped a V6 Camry but couldn't find a single example that didn't have an MSRP of $39K... even with negotiation you're still looking at $33-34k. Right now if you can find one in my area you'll likely have to pay within $1000 of MSRP- but last year you could get a decent discount- but it was still well over $30k. The Accord Sport 2.0t is a lot cheaper and still offers a decent amount of features.

As for the Avalon- yep you can get a base XLE for about $33,000 with some negotiation- (well, not now due to the shortages, but usually you can). The Avalon isn't my type of car though. It also drives a lot 'bigger' than a Camry does. I know that an Avalon is really only about 3" longer (and is about the same width) compared to a Camry... but I wasn't a fan of how 'big' the car felt as it drove down the road. I also really dislike how the car looks on the outside.

Plus- no amber rear turn signals in this generation... which is very unToyota like. It's a strange thing to care about- but it's one of my pet peeves when cars don't have amber rear signals.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid EX-L Modern Steel
9 Posts
I think the elimination of the 1.5 EX trim may push more people to the hybrids. If you want blind spot monitoring the EX hybrid is the cheapest way to get it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's really unfortunate. The Accord is one of the only midsize sedans that I would buy that is available with a higher-output engine without spending a fortune... at least in the U.S. for now.

A Camry with the V6 is now really expensive here- not including the TRD. In the U.S., it's hard to find a V6 Camry without all the option packages- which push the MSRP to nearly $40 grand. I appreciate that Honda still offers the 2.0t Sport for just over $30 grand here... and if you play your cards right and buy at the right time- you usually can get one for less. I only had to pay $27 grand for my 2019 2.0t Sport. A pretty good deal in my opinion.

I can't imagine spending nearly $40k for a V6 Camry... or even $38k for an Accord Touring. That's Base TLX or even base ES350 money.
Yes but the base TLX is comically bad compared to the Accord Touring. Just compare specs, it's insane.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes but the base TLX is comically bad compared to the Accord Touring. Just compare specs, it's insane.
C'mon... that Acura badge has to be worth at least $5,000 just by itself. :)

Reactions: overlord

·
Registered
79 Posts
C'mon... that Acura badge has to be worth at least $5,000 just by itself. :)
Acura as a brand is in this really bad spot where it's basically becoming a "boomer brand". There's not much value in what they offer for the price, it wasn't until the new RDX and TLX generations that they even bothered to give them distinct interiors from the Hondas but I think they are missing the mark with it. Instead of trying to make the Acuras more luxury, the new Acuras are still focused on "more sporty" which the new interiors reflect, but people are just buying cheaper Hondas which can already be sporty and tuning them further if need be.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Acura as a brand is in this really bad spot where it's basically becoming a "boomer brand". There's not much value in what they offer for the price, it wasn't until the new RDX and TLX generations that they even bothered to give them distinct interiors from the Hondas but I think they are missing the mark with it. Instead of trying to make the Acuras more luxury, the new Acuras are still focused on "more sporty" which the new interiors reflect, but people are just buying cheaper Hondas which can already be sporty and tuning them further if need be.
I don't know if I agree with you on these points. The TL of the 90s was significantly better than the Accord that was offered in the mid-90s. The late 90s-early 2000s TL and CL were a lot nicer on the inside than the 6th Gen Accord too. The interiors of the TL and CL were very different than the Accords of that time too. Much better materials and they were upscale looking, while the Accord, even in EX with leather versions- didn't seem to be nearly as luxurious. Plus, the price of those TLs were really reasonable- I think that the 1999ish TL has a starting MSRP of about $28,000 and came loaded other than navigation. A 1999 Accord EX V6 had a starting MSRP of about $24,500. For an extra $3500, you got a much better car.... too bad that both the Accord V6 and TLs of that era had significant issues... but they were really nice cars otherwise.

I think the problem lies in when generational changes occur with the two lines (Accord and TSX, for example). The previous generation TLX wasn't really a good car in many respects... but it completely lost any luster that it had when the 10th Generation Accord came out. The 10th Generation Accord- at least with the 2.0t engine- easily outshined it in almost every way. Now that the new TLX is out- it's a decent car and not too badly priced depending on how you spec it. The problem is that the 11th Generation Accord is due out in 2023- only a year and a half away. What's that new Accord going to do to TLX sales?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know if I agree with you on these points. The TL of the 90s was significantly better than the Accord that was offered in the mid-90s. The late 90s-early 2000s TL and CL were a lot nicer on the inside than the 6th Gen Accord too. The interiors of the TL and CL were very different than the Accords of that time too. Much better materials and they were upscale looking, while the Accord, even in EX with leather versions- didn't seem to be nearly as luxurious. Plus, the price of those TLs were really reasonable- I think that the 1999ish TL has a starting MSRP of about $28,000 and came loaded other than navigation. A 1999 Accord EX V6 had a starting MSRP of about $24,500. For an extra $3500, you got a much better car.... too bad that both the Accord V6 and TLs of that era had significant issues... but they were really nice cars otherwise.
My point had nothing to do with the older Acuras but where Acura has been standing the last few years which really impacts it future relevance to younger generations more than some car they made 20 years ago.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My point had nothing to do with the older Acuras but where Acura has been standing the last few years which really impacts it future relevance to younger generations more than some car they made 20 years ago.
Oh, I guess I read the sentence where you said that it wasn't until recently that Honda even made an effort to make their interiors different- and focused on that.

I do agree with much of what you are saying though.

601 - 612 of 612 Posts