Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

201 - 220 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
"So while vacationing in Tuscany and Tokyo with my bride, I rented Accords with manual transmissions. Any write-ups on how to import and install that transmission?"
I was under the impression that the American/Canadian markets were the bigger buyers of full size sedans as we know them, that people prefer their cars a little smaller elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of drivers have never preferred manual transmissions, but that's all there was up until the 1940s. After that, manual transmissions were chosen because they offered better performance, better fuel economy, and were cheaper than automatic transmissions. As automatics improved, the fuel economy and performance disadvantages disappeared. With more people choosing automatics, the price gap narrowed due to the economies of scale. Now, there's little reason other than driving engagement to choose an automatic over a manual. Some of the latest safety and convenience features aren't available with manual transmissions. Ultimately; convenience, safety, and performance are putting the last nails in the manual transmission's coffin.
Ya know, funny thing. When the 2004 GTO was about to be introduced, Pontiac suggested to its dealers to order about 75% auto and 25% manual. When the three year run was over, they sold about 55% manuals and 45% autos. To this day the manuals are much more highly prized than the autos. Point being, manufacturers don't have as strong of a grip on their buyers as they might lead you to believe. Ask every manual Accord owner who has a manual Accord from 2013 to present and I'll bet at least 85% of them had a hard time finding a manual version of the car they wanted in the first place. Many more bought an auto because it was the only choice in the version of the car they really wanted.

The majority of the world still prefers, manufactures, and buys manuals. Who is to say the weekly 7th Gen sub-forum's question of "bro can i putz a manual trans in my Acrood v4 with atow cuz i jus blew the atow trans racing my moms jeep lol cuz i just saw wreked Ackord with manual for like $300 and i have a starter set of tools from kmart going outta biz sale last year lol."

...won't morph into the 11th Gen's "So while vacationing in Tuscany and Tokyo with my bride, I rented Accords with manual transmissions. Any write-ups on how to import and install that transmission?"

Would be an interesting niche aftermarket position to handle swaps- if possible. The KMiata company KMiata.com - Miata K Series Engine Conversions makes a good buck selling swap kits to put a Honda K24 into a BMW and a Miata. Who is to say they won't figure out a way to put a manual into an Accord?
I think it would be more likely that the vacationing person would be posting: "Hey! On vacay with the blushing bride here in foreign country and all they have to rent are cars with manuals! How do you drive a manual?"

·
2020 best year
4,181 Posts
Ya know, funny thing. When the 2004 GTO was about to be introduced, Pontiac suggested to its dealers to order about 75% auto and 25% manual. When the three year run was over, they sold about 55% manuals and 45% autos. To this day the manuals are much more highly prized than the autos. Point being, manufacturers don't have as strong of a grip on their buyers as they might lead you to believe. Ask every manual Accord owner who has a manual Accord from 2013 to present and I'll bet at least 85% of them had a hard time finding a manual version of the car they wanted in the first place. Many more bought an auto because it was the only choice in the version of the car they really wanted.

I think it would be more likely that the vacationing person would be posting: "Hey! On vacay with the blushing bride here in foreign country and all they have to rent are cars with manuals! How do you drive a manual?"
85% of, what, 5% or less is still a pretty small number. Unless it's an enthusiast car, it's hard for manufacturers to justify the continued existence of a manual.

Manual Accord sales are still a drop in the bucket for Accord sales. I don't think Honda will feel that bad about killing off the manual Accord.

Sent from GM1917, technology or something like that.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
85% of, what, 5% or less is still a pretty small number. Unless it's an enthusiast car, it's hard for manufacturers to justify the continued existence of a manual.

Manual Accord sales are still a drop in the bucket for Accord sales. I don't think Honda will feel that bad about killing off the manual Accord.

Sent from GM1917, technology or something like that.
This reminds me of what one of our employees says every time he gets a raise: "5% of a nickel ain't much!" :)

In 2004 which was the GTO's best year, 13,569 were sold in the US. That same year, 386,770 Accord were sold.

The GTO was an example of a vehicle whose manual transmission cost more than the automatic - $695 more.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
The manuals might have sold better if they had been more readily available. I wonder how many more manuals could have been sold to someone who wanted one but couldn't find one? No guarantee that those sales went to another Honda by the way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Which month does Honda typically release following year models? I'm waiting to see what the updates are for 2021, but wondering how delayed it might be due to work restrictions earlier in the year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Which month does Honda typically release following year models? I'm waiting to see what the updates are for 2021, but wondering how delayed it might be due to work restrictions earlier in the year.
Good question, with Toyota having already released their 2021 refresh information I would hope they would release information by August/September.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Historically, anywhere from March to December depending on the model and year - they don't announce everything at once.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The manuals might have sold better if they had been more readily available. I wonder how many more manuals could have been sold to someone who wanted one but couldn't find one? No guarantee that those sales went to another Honda by the way.
If this was true, the manual transmission wouldn't be dying at every manufacturer. Nobody is buying manual transmissions anymore.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
135 Posts
Manuals used to be $800 cheaper than the automatics, reflecting the lower cost of production. That gave some buyers an incentive to buy them. I know that was the case with Fit and Civic.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did they kill it off around the whole world or just in the US? I can’t believe they’d kill it Europe where a lot of people still drive manuals. What about Canada?

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nope. I am surprised there hasn't been a single leak. Does that mean there will be no change whatsoever? I would love to get an AWD Accord.
Maybe they have some changes they really want to surprise the auto press with. One can hope at least.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
No leaked photos of the refresh yet?
Nope. I am surprised there hasn't been a single leak. Does that mean there will be no change whatsoever?
Refreshes are typically limited to styling changes to plastic parts at the front and/or rear and sometimes a few option changes - not major changes to engines, transmissions, chassis, glass, sheet metal, etc., so there's not always a test mule for a refreshed model.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Refreshes are typically limited to styling changes to plastic parts at the front and/or rear and sometimes a few option changes - not major changes to engines, transmissions, chassis, glass, sheet metal, etc., so there's not always a test mule for a refreshed model.
I expecting updated alloy wheels as well. The just released refreshed Odyssey shows new alloy wheels.

201 - 220 of 271 Posts