Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
So can buyers from the US go to Canada to purchase a manual Accord and bring it back south of the border?
According to CarGurus, there are still 30 manual 2.0T Accords on Canadian lots - most have been sitting there for four months to a year.

It's possible to import a new Accord from Canada, but the Canadian warranty isn't valid here. You'll be stuck with some metric units (such as the climate control). Taxes and the import process may prove discouraging. It's occasionally talked about, but rarely done.

·
2020 best year
4,183 Posts
So can buyers from the US go to Canada to purchase a manual Accord and bring it back south of the border?
I chatted with a guy from the RX-8 scene once about this kind of stuff and he mentioned that he remembers a discussion with Mazda 6 owners(he has a 6 as his DD) and some of the guys in the US thought about importing a manual 6 from Canada. Long story short, after they looked into the specifics, mainly the importing work and charges, the idea was pretty quickly dropped since it's just not worth the hassle.

I think @zroger73 covered it pretty well.

To me, that also provides me with an opportunity to explore outside of your usual choices. When I couldn't find an 8th Gen 6-6 Coupe, I went with an RX-8 and it was a pretty neat experience. Don't get hung up on the Accord.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,486 Posts
Yes. At least 1 member here has done it

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the Accord even without AWD is a much better buy. Current gen TLX is riding on Accord's 9th gen platform and has been in production since Sept 2014. Car is obsolete and small. But the new TLX coming out for 2021 is looking promising and will come with the 2.0T 10AT on base trim. I think Acura hit a perfect balance between value and performance + luxury with the new TLX. My guess is the 2.0T 10AT Tech with SH-AWD will be their best selling trim.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I expecting updated alloy wheels as well. The just released refreshed Odyssey shows new alloy wheels.

Yikes! Honda increased the price of the Odyssey by more than $2000? The current LX starts at just under $31,000... the 2021 LX starts at just under $33,000. It seems like all models are getting a giant price increase. Other than the LED headlights, I'm not seeing a bunch of extra equipment added to justify that kind of increase.

Hopefully Honda doesn't do the same thing with the Accord... sales are down enough as it is.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yikes! Honda increased the price of the Odyssey by more than $2000? The current LX starts at just under $31,000... the 2021 LX starts at just under $33,000. It seems like all models are getting a giant price increase. Other than the LED headlights, I'm not seeing a bunch of extra equipment added to justify that kind of increase.

Hopefully Honda doesn't do the same thing with the Accord... sales are down enough as it is.
I've said it before, and I will say it again: it baffles me how much car manufacturers charge for their cars these days, even with inflation. I understand that the Odyssey is a premium vehicle, but 33,000 just to get your foot in the door is definitely not chump change. I feel like car manufacturers justify their prices with all of the new equipment and tech they pack into the vehicle, while much of this equipment is completely extraneous to the quality of the vehicle. Using my own car as an example, my 2006 LX accord differs markedly from the new LX accord when you compare standard equipment, but you will pay significantly more to get behind the wheel of a new LX than you would have back in 2006. Obviously, comparing prices in 2020 and 2006 is apples and oranges, but I do believe that technological advancements drive the price up.

It really is not surprising that there is such a demand for used cars. There are people out there who will buy the latest and greatest regardless of whether or not they have to finance at an astronomical interest rate, people who shop the used car market, and people (like myself) who will drive cheap cars until the doors fall off to get around having to finance.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

Not sure what you're basing that on, but according to Honda:

LX increased $1,000
EX increased $400
EX-increased L $400
Touring decreased $2,920
Elite increased $400

I'm not sure why the Touring trim price decreased so much. Perhaps it was de-contented for 2021?

The EX-L is by far the most popular trim for the Odyssey. The LX is the least popular trim.

Sources: 2020 Honda Odyssey Pricing, 2021 Honda Odyssey Pricing, CarGurus.com inventory listings

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure what you're basing that on, but according to Honda:

LX increased $1,000
EX increased $400
EX-increased L $400
Touring decreased $2,920
Elite increased $400

I'm not sure why the Touring trim price decreased so much. Perhaps it was de-contented for 2021?

The EX-L is by far the most popular trim for the Odyssey. The LX is the least popular trim.

Sources: 2020 Honda Odyssey Pricing, 2021 Honda Odyssey Pricing, CarGurus.com inventory listings
I used the MSRPs listed on Honda's build-it tool and compared it with the prices mentioned in the Car and Driver article. I assumed that the prices quoted by Car And Driver didn't include the destination charge- I guess it did.

I stand corrected.

·
2020 best year
4,183 Posts
I've said it before, and I will say it again: it baffles me how much car manufacturers charge for their cars these days, even with inflation. I understand that the Odyssey is a premium vehicle, but 33,000 just to get your foot in the door is definitely not chump change. I feel like car manufacturers justify their prices with all of the new equipment and tech they pack into the vehicle, while much of this equipment is completely extraneous to the quality of the vehicle. Using my own car as an example, my 2006 LX accord differs markedly from the new LX accord when you compare standard equipment, but you will pay significantly more to get behind the wheel of a new LX than you would have back in 2006. Obviously, comparing prices in 2020 and 2006 is apples and oranges, but I do believe that technological advancements drive the price up.

It really is not surprising that there is such a demand for used cars. There are people out there who will buy the latest and greatest regardless of whether or not they have to finance at an astronomical interest rate, people who shop the used car market, and people (like myself) who will drive cheap cars until the doors fall off to get around having to finance.
This is not true in most cases(for cars, at least). A lot of cars stayed relatively the same in terms of price when you consider inflation.

The MSRP for your 2006 Accord LX when brand new would be around $20,500, give or take. A dollar in 2006 is worth about $1.30 in 2020, so the 2006 Accord LX costs $26,800 in 2020 dollars when brand new. A 2020 Accord LX is $24,270, so it has actually become cheaper.

Used cars are always a better value but there is always a risk of getting a lemon. You know this first hand.

And here is another dilemma, because used cars are a better value and the myth of cars are getting more expensive, enthusiasts tend to lean towards used cars, but car manufacturers need new car sales. When people complain that manuals are dying, well, the new ones aren't moving off the lot because not a lot of enthusiasts are buying them. Kinda hard to ask for a new Supra/Corvette/Accord in manual when you won't be buying one anyway. You have to put your money where your mouth is.

This is going to sound harsh, but if you don't have the money to head out and bring a new Accord home, you really don't have any bearing on whatever happens to Accords, be it the death of Coupe earlier or the death of manual now.

Sent from GM1917, technology or something like that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is not true in most cases. A lot of cars stayed relatively the same in terms of price when you consider inflation.

The MSRP for your 2006 Accord LX when brand new would be around $20,500, give or take. A dollar in 2006 is worth about $1.30 in 2020, so the 2006 Accord LX costs $26,800 in 2020 dollars when brand new. A 2020 Accord LX is $24,270, so it has actually become cheaper.
100% agree. Most mainstream cars have gotten cheaper over the years when taking into account inflation, at least if you ignore the extremely high trim levels that keep getting more and more features. When you don't take the Touring, Elite, and other high-level trims of Honda products, most of their models are cheaper today compared to twenty years ago when you account for inflation.

As an added bonus, cars today, despite the fact that prices are lower when accounting for inflation, have much higher levels of standard features compared to ten for fifteen years ago. The safety technology and features alone would justify a higher MSRP if accounting for inflation- but most manufacturers have really worked to keep MSRPs competitive.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Today's Civic is the comparative product to Accords from over a dozen years ago so in many instances prices have come down. However, IMO it didn't take long for price levels to go from 40k to 50k for the top of the line models and for trucks some of the price levels (before discount) are insane. Furthermore, some base models are eliminated making entry into certain segment impossible for some. My dad purchased a VW Dasher in 1974 for $4600. If you use a CPI calculator, the equivalent car cost in 2020 would be in the $11,000's. This would be impossible today even with extra for safety features. That's the problem with data. You can get it to show what you want.

Here's another example. A Honda Odyssey in 2004 was around 25k sticker. Plug the values into the calclator and it shows prices have come down.

Here's another one that takes into account how much you have to work to have the same purchasing power in a base year.

The answer is it depends. But IMO the reality is not all roses that's why car loans are so ridiculously long now. I don't even want to check if they have one of these calculators for college tuition🙁

·
2020 best year
4,183 Posts
I have heard trucks are pretty bad nowadays and I admit I haven't paid much attention to their prices.

Either way, if you can't afford a new car, you don't get to tell manufacturers what to build. That's just the way it works...

·
HK Moderator
14,264 Posts
Either way, if you can't afford a new car, you don't get to tell manufacturers what to build.
Reminds me of the car Homer Simpson designed....

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is going to sound harsh, but if you don't have the money to head out and bring a new Accord home, you really don't have any bearing on whatever happens to Accords, be it the death of Coupe earlier or the death of manual now.

You are absolutely correct about that. While many of us like to sit around on this forum complaining about what Honda is doing (or what we believe they SHOULD be doing), we are not the people who are actually going to purchase new cars. The only thing that really drives the products that Honda puts out are what everyday buyers want when they get to the car lot.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
135 Posts
Either way, if you can't afford a new car, you don't get to tell manufacturers what to build. That's just the way it works...
OTOH, manufacturer's often refuse to listen as well - even to long time owners/customers. It's mid 2020 and there are Still quite a few brand new 2014/2015 Honda VFR800's sitting in showrooms across the US. Why? Because IMO, the people at Honda in charge of the VFR program(s) are HUA and have been for quite some time. It seems like the only people interested in new VFRs are previous owners of VFRs and many of them aren't buying new because there's not enough improvement/difference between the new ones and the ones the still have. Instead of offering a great V4 based sport bike from the MotoGP program for us regular folks (which they could EASILY do if they wanted to), they decide to flip the bird to us middle class people with the RC213V-S. Honda takes a once Great street bike like the 1986 VFR750 and slowly over the years adds weight, gets rid of gear driven cams, adds VTEC, stops producing any sort of performance/race versions (e.g. RC30, RC45, etc), adds a few more CC's but very very minimal improvement in horsepower/torque, don't pay any attention to feedback from VFR riders/owners/reviewers/etc, fail to respond to or keep up with improvements made by almost every other manufacturer to their motorcycles in the same class/category, and they have the stupidity to wonder why they're not selling??? SMFH!!!

You are absolutely correct about that. While many of us like to sit around on this forum complaining about what Honda is doing (or what we believe they SHOULD be doing), we are not the people who are actually going to purchase new cars. The only thing that really drives the products that Honda puts out are what everyday buyers want when they get to the car lot.
"we are not the people who are actually going to purchase new cars" Ummm what? So all the people here and on the other forum joining up, making introductory posts, and showing pics of their new rides and all the members who own multiple Hondas or are repeat Honda customers are Russian bots or figments of my imagination?

221 - 240 of 273 Posts