Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, so I just picked up a 2022 Honda Accord Hybrid Sport with only 2 miles. I've got about 200miles on it now. After some research found out I want to change the oil after 1500miles for the break-in period. What are your thoughts on engine oil recommendations? I was thinking about using the OEM fluids but then thought does OEM fluids have those additives that help that name brands have? I'm very picky at this point since its my first new car and plan on collecting this car, so I want to keep it in top shape even if I have to spend a few more.

SIDE NOTES: How often should I change the oil? I was planning every 4000miles to keep it strong. I was planning Mobil 1 Fuel Eco with Mobil 1 Filter or K&N Filter.
Also do you recommend an engine flush for the break-in period?

AT THIS POINT ON JUST RANTING ON... LOL sorry
Lets start with the first couple questions.. Much help would be appreciated

I'll try to post pics of car soon as I just spent about 2k on accessories mainly to hold the cars value over time.

Anyways till next time
BrandNewJDM OUT!

·
Cruising in Montana
4,534 Posts
The oil that's in the engine - keep it in there until the car's maintenance manager tells you to change it. Probably 8-9,000 miles.

Thereafter, change it whenever the maint. manager says to.

Use the grade of oil specified on the oil fill cap. Brand doesn't matter that much, just make sure it has the "API Starburst" symbol on it, which most do.

Flush only your toilet, not your engine, transmission or radiator.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
NAOT - Not Another Oil Thread - This topic is covered eleventy billion times. Peep the main 10th Gen Forum page or click HERE for the answers you seek.

In case you're not into searching about oil brand and changer intervals, and are convinced you should waste money and change the oil before the car's built-in Maintenance Minder tells you to, me telling you that you should just leave the factory fill oil alone until at least 15% on the Maintenance Minder probably won't be the answer you are looking for. Keep in mind that in the Hybrid, the ICE is doing A LOT less work than the gas-only models unless you are thrashing it everywhere you go. The general consensus on Hondas is that the factory assembly lube has a good bit of moly in in which assists with break-in, therefore it's better for the engine to leave it until an oil change is indicated. If dumping the oil early was really beneficial, don't you think the engineers would have programmed in the first indicated change at a shorter interval?

Welcome and happy reading!

Reactions: StevieD and RTexasF

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
558 Posts
Congrats on your new drive!

There is no need to change oil so soon / so often. You only need to follow the car’s maintenance minder, which adaptively reminds you maintenance items based on your driving habits.

As for oil, stay with any 0W20 so long as it’s full synthetic. The cheapest one should be either AmazonBasic, Costco Kirkland, or Walmart branded.

I use Honda filter and replace it every oil change for peace of mind.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

The concensus is that the factory oil is very good. I went 12,000 miles on the factory oil before I changed it and I sent a sample to Blackstone laboratories and the results came back that the oil was still good to go a bit more.

So, that is my experience with factory filled oil and Honda filter. So, up to you to decide when to dump it since it is your car. But know that the oil can easily last over 10,000 miles by the time and the car's MM starts telling you to change it.

As for the choice of engine oil recommendations, the manual says it all. Use any good brand of 0W20 with a good filter. Even if you go to Walmart and get the cheapest full synthetic 0W20 like SuperTech with a decent filter like Fram. All that will work very well in your car. It is your car, so feel feee to take advice from here or modify the advice according to what you want or feel is comfortable to you. It is your car and your money. Do as you please.

For some people like me, I use any oil I want to in my car. I have used and mixed 0W20, 0W30, 5W20 and 5W30 to use at the same time. I am currently using ONLY 0W16 (which is NOT recommended for my car) for a total of 6 oil changes. Then I will go back to using 0W20. I bought my 2020 HAH brand new and it now has 50,000 miles in only 16 months and car drives like the day I drove it off the showroom floor. So, 0W16 works great in my car!

Do not be fooled by the additive packages that all the oil brands claim they have. All oil brands have their own additives that is still good. Choose any decent brand (whether top brand name or walmart brand) and change your oil according to your MM and your car would last forever.

You mentioned you are very picky and you want your car to stay in top shape so it can last a very long time.

Well, keep your car's maintenence according to Honda's recommendation and your car should last forever. Or modify some things according to your comfort level or do whatever you want to do to keep your car in top shape since it is your car and if you do something wrong, you alone get to deal with the consequences.

I believe and assume that each person on the forum is probably taking very good care of their car. So, join us as we each share tips on how to take very good care of our cars. Each may be doing some things a bit differently, but I believe each of our cars should last to over 200,000 miles. There are some people who do not drive their cars often. For those, I am sure those cars can easily last over 20 years and still going ok.

So, treat your car well and it will treat you well also. Though along the way, we will see some people losing an engine or a transmission or a hybrid battery or other things with no fault of theirs but that it was meant to be because they were destined to fail since leaving the factory assembly line.

I do enjoy documenting how I take care of my car and everything I do to it. I had a brand new 2008 Nissan Maxima that lasted 12 years with me and died when it had 268,000 miles. I expect my Honda to beat my Maxima in mileage before it ever dies and needs to be replaced.

If you are bored and want to see some suggestions of what I have done to my car as maintenance so far, feel free to visit my maintenance thread and see. It may give you some ideas and you decide what to do to your car.

It is your car. You paid over $32,000 for it. Feel free to do ANYTHING you want to do to it. If anything goes wrong, only you will suffer a loss. Hence, do whatever you feel is right for you to do to it so that it can always be in top shape and last you forever. Enjoy that car very well. You worked hard for it.

PetitFrereAccord's 2020 HAH maintenance thread...

·
The Shadow II
2021 HAH Touring in MSM
474 Posts
Oil changes and maintenance things in general are big business for the car industry. If the evil, money grubbing engineers at Honda could dream up a reason to suggest/require you change your oil in the first 100 miles of ownership just to squeeze more money out of you don't you think they would have done so already? Instead they designed a system that doesn't require such aggressive maintenance cycles AND backs up their talk (and the owner's manual) with a real warranty.

Follow the maintenance minder, right now I am at 7200 miles and the % just dropped to 40%. Projecting to the 10% mark will be somewhere around the 11,000 mile mark. Which is quite remarkable considering my aggressive driving habits and more than a few miles above the Interstate speed limits.

BTW, driving behaviors are part of the Maintenance Minder calculations. Drive where it is hot or cold, under load with lots of passengers, stop and go traffic etc. will all play a role in the MM determination of the oil change point.

Another factor to remember, those engineers will never take things to the edge. There is a margin of safety or performance. If they were taking things to the edge (like oil life) the risk to the warranty would be too great. Just not happening.

Are there situations when/where the MM should be ignored? Yes, if you have very low mileage.... the owner's manual suggests changing the oil every 12 months regardless of the MM status.

Reactions: mtts60

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Important to note that for hybrid cars, the mileage of the car is not related to oil "wear and tear" as no wear happens when the engine is off. Depending how much time the engine runs and under what conditions - that is the real oil wear driver. And thus the oil MM minder is the very best reference while noting that Honda specify no more than 1 year between oil changes. Read the manual. Heed the manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oil changes and maintenance things in general are big business for the car industry. If the evil, money grubbing engineers at Honda could dream up a reason to suggest/require you change your oil in the first 100 miles of ownership just to squeeze more money out of you don't you think they would have done so already?
Kind of like how the dealer I bought my 2021 from in October started sending me emails by January that I was due for service. I won’t be going there for any service…..

·
Registered
2022 Accord Sport Hybrid, Sonic Grey Pearl
5 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, so I just picked up a 2022 Honda Accord Hybrid Sport with only 2 miles. I've got about 200miles on it now. After some research found out I want to change the oil after 1500miles for the break-in period. What are your thoughts on engine oil recommendations? I was thinking about using the OEM fluids but then thought does OEM fluids have those additives that help that name brands have? I'm very picky at this point since its my first new car and plan on collecting this car, so I want to keep it in top shape even if I have to spend a few more.

SIDE NOTES: How often should I change the oil? I was planning every 4000miles to keep it strong. I was planning Mobil 1 Fuel Eco with Mobil 1 Filter or K&N Filter.
Also do you recommend an engine flush for the break-in period?

AT THIS POINT ON JUST RANTING ON... LOL sorry
Lets start with the first couple questions.. Much help would be appreciated

I'll try to post pics of car soon as I just spent about 2k on accessories mainly to hold the cars value over time.

Anyways till next time
BrandNewJDM OUT!
Who told you to change oil at 1500 miles ? Must have been a oil change salesman.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Never heard of hybrid sport oil before

·
Registered
374 Posts
Modern engines get a quick break in as part of qc. They drain and fill the oil in that scenario. No reason for the new owner to do it again. Follow maintenance minder

·
Registered
105 Posts
The general consensus on Hondas is that the factory assembly lube has a good bit of moly in in which assists with break-in, therefore it's better for the engine to leave it until an oil change is indicated. If dumping the oil early was really beneficial, don't you think the engineers would have programmed in the first indicated change at a shorter interval?
I was wondering about this, too. Thanks for your response!

BTW, you and I have the same car!

My previous car was a 2018 Sport 2.0T 6MT. It went over 8000 miles before indicating it was at 15% oil life. Probably because even though it wasn't a hybrid, I did a lot of freeway driving, so it didn't get the same abuse that stop-and-go causes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts