Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am a new platinum white 2022 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring owner. This is my first Honda and hybrid vehicle bought 3 months ago. Since then, my vehicle battery is showing below 50% battery. Is this normal or it need attention. Appreciate response.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's perfectly normal. The car will try to maintain 30-40% state of charge (SOC) under normal driving while in Eco Mode and a little bit higher in Normal and Sport mode.

The SOC level is not really something you have to pay attention to. You generally want to avoid having SOC at 90-100% which is rare under normal driving.

Search the forum for more information on how the hybrid system operates.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi everyone. I am a new platinum white 2022 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring owner. This is my first Honda and hybrid vehicle bought 3 months ago. Since then, my vehicle battery is showing below 50% battery. Is this normal or it need attention. Appreciate response.
Our cars are known as Charge Sustaining Electric Vehicles. As opposed to Charge Depleting Electric Vehicles, like Teslas.

A Depleter's mode of operation is just like a conventional gas car's - you "fill' (or "charge") the gas tank (or battery) every once in a while. Then you drive until it is depleted to some level, and repeat the process.

The HAH is a "Gas Depleter" just like a conventional car, but it tries to "Sustain" the battery near some level. This level depends on whether you drive in ECON, NORMAL, or SPORT mode. The advantage is that the engine is about 30% to 33% efficient when it generates just enough power for cruising, about 20% to 30% efficient while accelerating, but 40% efficient in between.

So what it will do, in NORMAL mode, is over-produce while you cruise. Excess power will be used to charge the battery until it reaches about 5 bars (50%). Then it will turn the engine off, and use battery power only until charge drops to about 3 bars.The two benefits here are that this range is where the battery works best, and where battery wear is least. Of course periods of acceleration, or regenerative breaking, will interfere with this cycle. But they are about the only times you will see the state of charge outside of that range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our cars are known as Charge Sustaining Electric Vehicles. As opposed to Charge Depleting Electric Vehicles, like Teslas.

A Depleter's mode of operation is just like a conventional gas car's - you "fill' (or "charge") the gas tank (or battery) every once in a while. Then you drive until it is depleted to some level, and repeat the process.

The HAH is a "Gas Depleter" just like a conventional car, but it tries to "Sustain" the battery near some level. This level depends on whether you drive in ECON, NORMAL, or SPORT mode. The advantage is that the engine is about 30% to 33% efficient when it generates just enough power for cruising, about 20% to 30% efficient while accelerating, but 40% efficient in between.

So what it will do, in NORMAL mode, is over-produce while you cruise. Excess power will be used to charge the battery until it reaches about 5 bars (50%). Then it will turn the engine off, and use battery power only until charge drops to about 3 bars.The two benefits here are that this range is where the battery works best, and where battery wear is least. Of course periods of acceleration, or regenerative breaking, will interfere with this cycle. But they are about the only times you will see the state of charge outside of that range.
I mostly cruise on the highway with my accord, should I use ECON or Normal in this case? I almost always use the paddles to slow down and try to build up battery power on the off ramps to switch to ev mode for as long as possible on the streets.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I mostly cruise on the highway with my accord, should I use ECON or Normal in this case? I almost always use the paddles to slow down and try to build up battery power on the off ramps to switch to ev mode for as long as possible on the streets.
You should use whichever drive mode (ECON/NORMAL/SPORT) its your driving style. The biggest difference between them is how quickly the drive train reacts to changes in the gas pedal. I personally keep it in ECON, because adaptive cruise control is smoother; mpgs aren't affected that much. I shift to SPORT if I anticipate the need for speed; but it also alters some of the battery management more than just to change the limits I described before.

Your use of the paddles to slow down is a good idea, but only to train you about how to slow down efficiently. If you slow at the same rate with the brake pedal, you will recharge the same amount. But don't use the EV mode button. You will get the same benefit from the recharge you acquired no matter how it is used, and the car knows when it is better to let the engine help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
May I inject a question here?

(mine is a 2019 tourer)

I hear of Econ/Normal/Sport modes. What/where is "normal"? When I jump in, turn on, the car defaults to "Econ" mode. I have the sport button next to it (which I usually do NOT engage as the default is fine for me)

Since Econ is what happens when I turn things on, is THAT my "normal"? If not, what button is considered normal? My interpretation of what I see is that I have two modes, Econ/Sport and that's it.

hmmmmm just thought of something. I DO have the EV (if I recall it's name) that I used literally, once, to go to the mailbox. Is that one of the modes? I'd hope that's not the "normal" mode because:

1. You have to manually select it
2. My understanding is it's only good for a couple miles (if that far)

When I'm driving, Econ mode, my battery indicator on the left side of dash is usually hovering at 3-bars, sometimes maybe 2 bars. If I'm driving in Sport mode, then having never counted, "most" of the bars are lit up (I understand it might be running more often to keep them charged up)

Having only done EV mode to the mailbox and back, I don't really know what happens there.

Hopefully it's ok I threw this in here as I felt it related to the battery gauge reading "low" (though I've read that's more of what it SHOULD be doing than not so it doesn't bother me)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hear of Econ/Normal/Sport modes. What/where is "normal"?
When comparing drive modes, I need something to call the mode mode when neither ECON nor SPORT is selected. Since only one of the three can ever be on at a time, and it has no official name or indicator light, I call it NORMAL. And hope that it will be understood through implication, since you can switch between the other two by pressing the corresponding button, but then deselecting either of them re-enters NORMAL.

When I jump in, turn on, the car defaults to "Econ" mode.
Actually, it defaults to whichever of ECON or NORMAL that you used last. It won't default to SPORT, since Honda apparently feels that the driver should know that mode is enabled. So if you last used SPORT, it will default to NORMAL.

I DO have the EV (if I recall it's name) that I used literally, once, to go to the mailbox. Is that one of the modes?
It's a different concept, and a confusing one at that.

ECON/NORMAL/SPORT mostly alter how quickly the various systems react to changes. If you ever feel there is a bit of a lag before the car accelerates, when you stomp on the gas pedal while driving on the highway, try the same thing in SPORT. They also affect steering, how quickly the climate system reacts to temperature differences, and cruise control. Since you have the Touring, SPORT also uses the adaptive dampers to firm up the suspension.

EV Mode and EV Drive are different.
  • EV Drive means the car is running on battery power only. The green "EV" indicator comes on in the lower-left of the Power Meter (the left side of the driver's display). The car decides when to do this based on the battery and the power needs. What I described in other posts is how ECON/NORMAL/SPOPRT affects this decision.
  • EV Mode is when you press that button, and the green car symbol with "EV" inside of it (just like the button) comes on. It tells the car to choose EV Drive if at all possible, and stay on as long as possible. If it is not possible, or when it becomes no longer possible after driving a while, both EV Mode and EV Drive will turn off.
While it is tempting to think EV Mode saves gas, it usually doesn't. That charge came from burning gas at an earlier time. Pressing the button forces the car to cycle energy through the battery more than it otherwise would, and there are additional losses involved. But one example where kt does save is what you did; the car doesn't know you are just running to the mailbox, and will want to warm up the engine and battery, which takes energy also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually, it defaults to whichever of ECON or NORMAL that you used last. It won't default to SPORT, since Honda apparently feels that the driver should know that mode is enabled. So if you last used SPORT, it will default to NORMAL.
Ok, so I (think) I followed everything you said....but for this part, BUT, it got me thinking and wondering, so let me rephrase things, to see if you agree that "I get it, though maybe a bit confused"!! :)

If I'm in Sport mode, turn car off, get back in, it "defaults to Econ" mode.

EXCEPT, now you have me wondering. I have presumed it defaults to Econ mode because it is NOT in Sport Mode. This however, doesn't necessarily make that a fact.

So, question.... If I get in car, turn it on, touching nothing else, I am NOT at the moment in "Sport" mode. Is it fair to say that I am ALSO not at the moment in "Econ" mode because I have not pushed that button? That without pressing a button, I am in "Normal" mode UNLESS I choose Econ? Just like I am not in Sport mode, unless I press Sport.

If above is accurate, then how, if you are in Sport mode, do you CHOOSE to go back to Normal? The only two buttons I have are Econ/Sport so those are what I've used (unless EV at the base is what would do that BUT, I am thinking that is NOT the case)

Actually, I just recalled something. I default to whatever turns the car on. (may I call this 'normal'?) Sometimes, I see the green (don't recall what it's called) "EV" light come on the dash, is THAT when I'm automatically out of 'normal' and in Econ mode without having selected the Econ?

You know.... I Do find this a bit amusing. This is a silly car. I go from point A to B in it.... and I read (my own) along with other comments of confusion and lack of understanding on how it works..... it's a freaking car lol. Just get in the darn thing and drive! lol.

I am however, one of those "detail" people in life and like to know how things work. Add that to being naturally a very curious person really gets me diving in deep at times.

No need to respond to anything I ask about unless you want to. I don't want my incessant curiosity and detail mindedness to be as annoying as my wife (daily?) reminds me it can be.

The more I learn about this car, the more I vastly appreciate what and how it does what it does. It is an absolutely amazing difference from the (1984??) Accord I had for years. To say it's a black/white difference is a vast understatement and I know everyone here knows that.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Touring Hybrid
74 Posts
Ok, so I (think) I followed everything you said....but for this part, BUT, it got me thinking and wondering, so let me rephrase things, to see if you agree that "I get it, though maybe a bit confused"!! :)

If I'm in Sport mode, turn car off, get back in, it "defaults to Econ" mode.

EXCEPT, now you have me wondering. I have presumed it defaults to Econ mode because it is NOT in Sport Mode. This however, doesn't necessarily make that a fact.

So, question.... If I get in car, turn it on, touching nothing else, I am NOT at the moment in "Sport" mode. Is it fair to say that I am ALSO not at the moment in "Econ" mode because I have not pushed that button? That without pressing a button, I am in "Normal" mode UNLESS I choose Econ? Just like I am not in Sport mode, unless I press Sport.

If above is accurate, then how, if you are in Sport mode, do you CHOOSE to go back to Normal? The only two buttons I have are Econ/Sport so those are what I've used (unless EV at the base is what would do that BUT, I am thinking that is NOT the case)

Actually, I just recalled something. I default to whatever turns the car on. (may I call this 'normal'?) Sometimes, I see the green (don't recall what it's called) "EV" light come on the dash, is THAT when I'm automatically out of 'normal' and in Econ mode without having selected the Econ?

You know.... I Do find this a bit amusing. This is a silly car. I go from point A to B in it.... and I read (my own) along with other comments of confusion and lack of understanding on how it works..... it's a freaking car lol. Just get in the darn thing and drive! lol.

I am however, one of those "detail" people in life and like to know how things work. Add that to being naturally a very curious person really gets me diving in deep at times.

No need to respond to anything I ask about unless you want to. I don't want my incessant curiosity and detail mindedness to be as annoying as my wife (daily?) reminds me it can be.

The more I learn about this car, the more I vastly appreciate what and how it does what it does. It is an absolutely amazing difference from the (1984??) Accord I had for years. To say it's a black/white difference is a vast understatement and I know everyone here knows that.
Okay, you may be overthinking this. The Econ and Sport buttons are basically toggles. Press once to turn on, press again to turn off. Additionally activating either mode, will turn off the other, since you can't be in "econ-sport" mode. If you shut off the car with Econ mode off, it will start the next time with all modes off (normal mode). If you stop the car in econ, it will start in econ. It is easy to tell which mode you are in. In sport mode, the word sport appears in red in the center of the instrument panel. In econ mode the green leaf appears in the same place. If neither is there, then you are in normal mode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I tend to over-think things.... Works to my benefit at times, makes me look like a moron at times. lol.

Tonight, drove it to dealer for them to fix the AC. While doing so, I think I discovered something that hadn't put very plain before.

Two buttons, THREE modes.

Car defaults in (whatever the default may be) BUT, if you push the Econ button, then push it again, it will toggle between Econ ON and Econ OFF. Then you have the Sport button.

So I surmise when people talk about "normal", I'm guessing that is "Econ OFF". They hit Econ button to go to Econ mode or hit the sport mode for same.... but the Econ button hits two different modes.

If this is accurate, THIS is the tidbit that I was missing. If Sport button equals Sport, then Econ button equals Econ.....where is the "Normal" mode.... Now, I think I know.

I think I had unwittingly toggled back/forth (Econ on/off) without knowing what I was doing.

I appreciate everyone's patience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts