Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· 8th Gen Believer
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know oil and gas companies are brutally killing the planet but there has to be a better way of make a good Accord. The '23 looks like a older Hyundai Sonata. No way I'd buy a 1.5, a hybrid or anything with a CVT. Call me old school but I'm keeping my modded 8th gen V6 with twin wishbone front suspension until if falls apart.

· Registered
515 Posts
No, oil and gas companies are not killing the planet. You're buying into the bull crap of the leftists. I have worked in oil and gas since the 1980s and the industry has worked to and succeeded in producing much cleaner energy. Clean natural gas is one example. Fossil fuels will continue (thankfully) to be a major source of energy for the next several decades and we can all be thankful for that.

· Registered
2004 Honda Accord LX 5 Speed
699 Posts
If these were the days of everybody driving a big V8 with a 302cc engine, then maybe the planet would be in big trouble. But in reality, most people drive cars with very small displacement engines with extremely high emissions standards. I don’t think my 2.4 litre engine will single handedly destroy the planet, especially if I only drive it a few times a week.
Back to the topic at hand, it seems like Honda is doing everything possible to squeeze the maximum MPG out of the new accord. Time will tell if that’s good for the consumer or not. As we know, the 1.5T engine is not known for being Honda’s best engine.

· Registered
627 Posts
The fact is that the 10th gen was the lowest selling Accord. So obviously many car buyers weren't thrilled enough to purchase it. And the only cheerleaders for the car now are it's current owners. A change was needed and Honda has done it.

· cvt - NOT
1,491 Posts
No, oil and gas companies are not killing the planet. You're buying into the bull crap of the leftists. I have worked in oil and gas since the 1980s and the industry has worked to and succeeded in producing much cleaner energy. Clean natural gas is one example. Fossil fuels will continue (thankfully) to be a major source of energy for the next several decades and we can all be thankful for that.
Your comments is like taking medicinal advice from a pharmacist that is addicted to every narcotic in his pharmacy! The fossil fuel crisis is a reality based on science, facts, and evidence! Anything stating otherwise is nothing but the big money, rightwing-capitalist propaganda! 🤣

· Registered
627 Posts
Your comments is like taking medicinal advice from a pharmacist that is addicted to every narcotic in his pharmacy! The fossil fuel crisis is a reality based on science, facts, and evidence! Anything stating otherwise is nothing but the big money, rightwing-capitalist propaganda! 🤣
He must be one of those rolling coal enthusiasts. As if saying that there's plenty of oil for several decades means we shouldn't be bothered with alternatives now. Short-sighted people never see it until it's too late.

Automotive tire Car Grass Thigh Knee

· CORB52
44 Posts
COVID hurt the sales of the Accord (along with most) also. The hybrid battery replacement will be about 3k at what 125 to 150k? Knew someone who had to replace the Civic hybrid battery and that is what it cost him. You have to trade it off before then. No more running them into 2 or 3 hundred thousand. Guessing Honda wanted that. Why only use the 2.0 for 1 generation? I drove the 2.0 a few times and LOVED it, had hope to buy one in the 11th gen after my 9th gen 2.4 auto Sport wears out. The performance of this new Accord will be below the TLX and I'm sure that is something Honda wanted also. I am not buying a heavy, more expensive TLX when the 10th gen 2.0 smokes it.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am a leftist

· Registered
699 Posts
Well, even if there is a "crisis," I don't think most people are going to go out and completely change the way that they drive (and pay for their car) just to make a very slight difference in how fast resources are depleted. I've heard far too many people preaching the importance of going electric, when they have yet to take any action. I don't deny that resources are limited and that the planet IS in trouble, but Honda squeezing a few extra MPG with a questionable engine does not inspire me to run out and buy one.

And before anyone complains that I am part of the problem, I take public transit to work every single day.

Reactions: slimm1469

· Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,892 Posts
None of us are part of the problem when you look at the big picture. We are only a small fraction of global carbon emissions compared to other countries, ships, etc.

· port & polish everything
1,963 Posts
None of us are part of the problem when you look at the big picture. We are only a small fraction of global carbon emissions compared to other countries, ships, etc.
Yeah no one ever talks about going after shipping or the countries that make our junk but that would mean Amazon and Walmart would stop making money and everyone would have to consume less. So instead the government goes after cars. Oh btw good luck turning a container ship into an EV.

"15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars"

· Registered
34 Posts
COVID hurt the sales of the Accord (along with most) also. The hybrid battery replacement will be about 3k at what 125 to 150k? Knew someone who had to replace the Civic hybrid battery and that is what it cost him. You have to trade it off before then. No more running them into 2 or 3 hundred thousand. Guessing Honda wanted that. Why only use the 2.0 for 1 generation? I drove the 2.0 a few times and LOVED it, had hope to buy one in the 11th gen after my 9th gen 2.4 auto Sport wears out. The performance of this new Accord will be below the TLX and I'm sure that is something Honda wanted also. I am not buying a heavy, more expensive TLX when the 10th gen 2.0 smokes it.

I don't like that I'll be forced to buy the hybrid if I want a higher trim Accord but I do understand.

In a few years, cars must get 40 mpg. The only way to do that is to go hybrid/electric or drastically reduce the size of the car.

Honestly, I was expecting Honda to only offer the next Accord as a Hybrid.

Honda could have just gone all electric like other manufacturers. Fortunately they don't want to alienate all their customers that don't have a place to charge their car.

At least with a hybrid vehicle, the car owner doesn't have to worry about charging it.

· Registered
2019 Accord Hybrid Touring
127 Posts
Politics aside, I think it's a smart move to discontinue the 2.0T since there are MPG goals and here in California, a deadline for when all automobiles must not be ICE.

I feel most people who look at a hybrid as slow or totally the opposite of what a 2.0T would feel like haven't driven a hybrid (at least Honda's hybrid). There's a reason electric vehicles leave old-fashioned ICE engine vebicles in their rearview mirror. Now, if we're talking costs of ownership, yeah, that does suck as we still don't have many mechanics that are familiar with fixing hybrid and full ev's out there, but that will improve.

Getting to the performance of this new 11th gen, they upgraded the hybrid motor, not the 2.0 ice engine it brings, but that hybrid motor upgrade should make it faster than the 10th Gen we currently have and probably with same if not better MPG. As far as performance goes, we still haven't gotten figures, so not fair to pass judgment, but on looks, we do have pics and videos, so go at it, and at the end of the day, looks are subjective. I'm personally not a fan of how the front grills looks, but I do like the 12.3 info screen and full digital gage along with Google integration. Reminds me a lot of how "Hey Mercedes" and "hey BMW" work in the respective cars. Back reminds me of Avalon, which I liked.

We will see on the 15th figures, until then I'll hold off on passing judgment on performance.

· Registered
410 Posts
It's unfortunate that Accord in it's 47th year has come down to maximum horsepower output of 200hp and CVT transmission only across the portfolio. Gone are the days of torque converter automatics, powerful turbo engines, legendary J series, coupes, manuals, etc. This really is the end for those of us who love driving. They completely changed their target demographics.

· Honda Newb
288 Posts
"I won't be happy until every dead dinosaur has been pulled from the earth and deposited in the atmosphere so that I can go one second faster from 0-60."

I'd bet a paycheck the all-electric drive at lower speed of the redesigned Honda hybrid system will smoke the turbo-lagged 2.0 and it's old-timey transmission halfway to 60 anyway so people are really complaining about very little. A little top speed acceleration they probably don't use very often in exchange for paying a lot less for gas and maybe just maybe helping someone besides themselves live on this planet, like their kids perhaps, who will ridicule them for clinging to old dirty inefficient technology.

It doesn't matter much because ICE cars are going away. If you just don't like change go drive a real EV, you'll be encouraged for the future.

· Registered
249 Posts
"I won't be happy until every dead dinosaur has been pulled from the earth and deposited in the atmosphere so that I can go one second faster from 0-60."

I'd bet a paycheck the all-electric drive at lower speed of the redesigned Honda hybrid system will smoke the turbo-lagged 2.0 and it's old-timey transmission halfway to 60 anyway so people are really complaining about very little. A little top speed acceleration they probably don't use very often in exchange for paying a lot less for gas and maybe just maybe helping someone besides themselves live on this planet, like their kids perhaps, who will ridicule them for clinging to old dirty inefficient technology.

It doesn't matter much because ICE cars are going away. If you just don't like change go drive a real EV, you'll be encouraged for the future.
If the quickness is there great, but I will never own another CVT.

· Registered
699 Posts

It’s been explained multiple times, but I will say it once more. Some of us have zero interest in much of the new technology that is being packed into cars. I am at a loss for trying to understand why some people cannot grasp that. For those of us who really appreciate the experience of owning and driving a car, a slight improvement in acceleration does nothing to entice us to convert to electric.
I’ll keep helping myself. Thanks. As for you driving a hybrid or electric car, great! We should still be able to choose.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.