Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2004 Honda Accord LX 5 Speed
739 Posts
If these were the days of everybody driving a big V8 with a 302cc engine, then maybe the planet would be in big trouble. But in reality, most people drive cars with very small displacement engines with extremely high emissions standards. I don’t think my 2.4 litre engine will single handedly destroy the planet, especially if I only drive it a few times a week.
Back to the topic at hand, it seems like Honda is doing everything possible to squeeze the maximum MPG out of the new accord. Time will tell if that’s good for the consumer or not. As we know, the 1.5T engine is not known for being Honda’s best engine.

· Registered
739 Posts
Your comments is like taking medicinal advice from a pharmacist that is addicted to every narcotic in his pharmacy! The fossil fuel crisis is a reality based on science, facts, and evidence! Anything stating otherwise is nothing but the big money, rightwing-capitalist propaganda! 🤣
Well, even if there is a "crisis," I don't think most people are going to go out and completely change the way that they drive (and pay for their car) just to make a very slight difference in how fast resources are depleted. I've heard far too many people preaching the importance of going electric, when they have yet to take any action. I don't deny that resources are limited and that the planet IS in trouble, but Honda squeezing a few extra MPG with a questionable engine does not inspire me to run out and buy one.

And before anyone complains that I am part of the problem, I take public transit to work every single day.

Reactions: slimm1469

· Registered
739 Posts
"I won't be happy until every dead dinosaur has been pulled from the earth and deposited in the atmosphere so that I can go one second faster from 0-60."

I'd bet a paycheck the all-electric drive at lower speed of the redesigned Honda hybrid system will smoke the turbo-lagged 2.0 and it's old-timey transmission halfway to 60 anyway so people are really complaining about very little. A little top speed acceleration they probably don't use very often in exchange for paying a lot less for gas and maybe just maybe helping someone besides themselves live on this planet, like their kids perhaps, who will ridicule them for clinging to old dirty inefficient technology.

It doesn't matter much because ICE cars are going away. If you just don't like change go drive a real EV, you'll be encouraged for the future.
It’s been explained multiple times, but I will say it once more. Some of us have zero interest in much of the new technology that is being packed into cars. I am at a loss for trying to understand why some people cannot grasp that. For those of us who really appreciate the experience of owning and driving a car, a slight improvement in acceleration does nothing to entice us to convert to electric.
I’ll keep helping myself. Thanks. As for you driving a hybrid or electric car, great! We should still be able to choose.

· Registered
739 Posts
Precisely. I've mentioned before that I'm all for more passive safety features (blind spot warnings/cameras, backup cameras, parking sensors, etc.), but the second you start getting into active safety features that actually take control of the car (auto braking, active cruise control, lane keep assist, etc.), that's when I'm out.

And that's not even mentioning how every basic function has been turned into some complex electronic thing...looking at you button shifter.
Couldn’t agree more. Like I said, I have no problem with anybody getting some of these features on their car if they want them. Similarly, I have absolutely no problem with Honda offering a trim that has these features. With that being said, I do see it as a problem when you are basically stuck with all (or most of) these features whether you want them or not.
And of course, it seems like some people who don’t really enjoy the driving experience and want it to be as easy, safe, and efficient as possible. That’s fine of course, but that’s not the experience many of us want.

· Registered
739 Posts
Come on people... This is what has been wrong with our country for the past few years... This is a car freaking forum where we can ALL come together in the likes/dislikes of automobiles and yet we turn this into name calling and bashing one another....

It's true that most products are made with oil, but that's the entire point of REDUCING depency/reliability/extraction of oil and having more ALTERNATIVE energy sources like wind/solar/sea (waves energy) to be able to cut back on oil which is why Honda/Toyota/Ford/VW and pretty much all car manufacturers have or are in the process of stopping ICE research and development because they're shifting to ONE DAY being fully electric BUT like everything worth having IT TAKES TIME.

Most likely than not, those of us in this forum will be long gone before full electrification is realized. But guess what... The process has started and will continue.

America once believed having slaves was the right thing... Those people at the time believed it so passionately they gave up their lives fighting those who said all people are equal... This is an extreme example, but in today's political climate, I don't feel it's too far off... Is this how far we have come???

Unfortunately, there are people who still believe the earth is flat, the abamonal snow man exists, climate change is "fake news," Trump won the election, Five Guys is better than In N Out... No...

Everyone is entitled to have their beliefs, likes, opinions, wants and all that, but when one starts turning a blind eye because evidence/facts don't align with your beliefs/likes that's were we start going in the wrong direction.

America is reaching a temperature that I feel has the potential to get us into a new civil war... We have to start realizing the direction we're heading and really come to terms with the truth....

I like the 12 inch info system with Google, full digital cluster and the back of the car styling. Not so happy with the front.
Sorry, but I don’t see how slavery is an appropriate example at all in this scenario. I think many people are simply expressing their frustration that the market appears to be shifting away from tried and true technology to something that is more or less experimental. Personally, I don’t have a problem with anyone expressing that frustration because I’m right there with them.
I think it’s undeniable that we do need to explore alternatives to fuel (we can all agree on that, right?). However, can we also agree on the fact that attempting to hasten the switch to electric is a potential problem? I’m looking directly at Honda right now offering the “good”trim accords only with a hybrid engine.

· Registered
739 Posts
News FLASH, Toyota pulled out of the insanity. They WILL NOT commit to full EV's. Why??? Because they realize we are WAY far away from this green energy that is being PUSHED on us. If you want to drive Ev, DO IT!!! I will NEVER drive an EV, funny how they don't reveal how much it will cost as energy prices continue to rise. There are MANY who depend on fossil fuels in this country, but we are supposed to shut up and go along with their vision. WAKE UP Honda, you are going to lose many of the customer base that has supported you over the years.
Toyota realized that this technology just doesn’t work for people who live outside of metropolitan areas. Toyota knows what they are doing when it comes to their hybrid technology (I will give them that). I was ever required to buy a hybrid (which hopefully is never), I trust Toyota more than any other brand.

· Registered
739 Posts
Agreed 100%. If you want to drive and EV, go for it. But to think we are all going to drive them is a fantasy at most. The VTec has been an icon in the auto industry, some of us just want to continue to have choices. I guess I might have to go to Toyota, they already stated they are dropping the idea of all EV's.
It’s sort of like someone praising some of the “nanny” safety features that are offered on some new vehicles, saying that EVERYBODY should have them (thinking about speed governors, semi autonomous control, etc). If they want that on their car, I have no problem with it at all. But I sure don’t, and I really don’t want anybody telling me that it needs to be required. The same goes for EV and hybrid. If it helps the planet, then sure, some people can make the choice to switch. But please, do not tell everyone else that they have to switch, and do not be condescending when they express concerns.

· Registered
739 Posts
Again, I agree 100% with your statement. Why doesn't the US talk about the electric vehicles that are abandoned due to battery life being over and the car is not worth replacing??? IT DOESN'T fir the narrative for political gain, that's why. ALL of the manufacturers will realize this eventually. Where will you charge an EV when you live in a regular city and park along a normal street? It amazes me that Honda has gone this far with taking away the 2.0T platform, but Acura will continue to offer it along with V6 motors.
I agree with you 100%. I just got back from a long road trip to some communities that are far away from any metropolitan area. While I was out there, I saw many ICE vehicles making the drive just fine. Nobody had an EV, and the one EV I did see was being loaded onto a flatbed truck to be towed back to the city. I think that’s a pretty good summation of the situation we’re currently in.

· Registered
739 Posts
I’m not sure the move MUST be made. All of a sudden it’s life or death??? The previous administration did an awesome job of lower emissions and improved the air quality. Now we are being told the world will die if we don’t do SOMETHING. LOL, I think it’s a political move and that alone. Again, if you want an EV, GO FOR IT! For me, no thanks.
I’m right there with you. It seems crazy to me that all of a sudden EV is being pushed as something we absolutely must accept as the way of the future. Look, I think it’s great to have EV as a choice. Those who like it can buy one. If it works for them, great. The rest of us shouldn’t have to. And I will say it again, those of us driving 4 cylinder accords are not the problem. I am very much done of people telling me (in real life, not on DA) that I’m somehow responsible for killing the planet because I haven’t considered an EV. Yet they are the ones who most likely take trips on airlines every year (I haven’t been on a plane in years) and consume far more resources than I do.

· Registered
739 Posts
Some of the comments in this thread have touched on the political, but I think it's relevant in relation to a discussion for choice in driving an ICE or an EV. I personally like to hear other's views on this topic and like it or not, this hasty push to all EV is strictly coming from our government and I don't agree with their "reasoning". I'm not going to go into a long political diatribe here because this is not the place, but to write a general opinion on the political process behind these actions on this forum should be acceptable.
It’s too bad that electric cars have become a topic that becomes political. I personally do not feel that it should be that way. With that being said, I feel that it has become political because many people feel that we all need to be driving electric cars right now, and end our reliance on fossil fuels. I think we would all find done common ground and meet in the middle of this issue if electric cars could be a choice (and something we could experiment with as consumers). Sort of like the Toyota Prius. I know a few Tesla owners at work. Some are very full of themselves and think that anyone driving a gas powered car is an ass, and some are very reasonable people. One manager in my company told me that she thinks her Tesla is cool, but it’s never a car that she would drive anywhere other than between home, work, and the grocery store.

While Honda isn’t offering the new accord in an EV, it is frustrating to consumers when they are stuck with a powertrain that they don’t want. While I personally believe that hybrid technology is a better choice than electric, Honda isn’t well known for making the best hybrids in the market. For that reason, this feels like the wrong move.

· Registered
739 Posts
Don't forget the "Peak Oil" theory that was popular a decade ago. We had supposedly exhausted all meaningful reserves and would be running out right about now - except that it was wrong, even though it was parroted by academics as being "fact".

We continue to find new and innovative ways to extract resources that were previously not financially viable.

I think Honda's new corporate strategy is terrible. I worked for Honda for a few months (terrible job) and 90% of the vehicles that come through the dealership are NOT electrified. Honda consumers have had the ability to purchase a Hybrid Accord, Civic, or CR-V for many years and simply don't want them! Is Honda making cars for consumers or for the government?

What happens if/when Republicans come into office and remove or alter CAFE standards again? What happens if consumers decide they'd rather keep their 2.0T with more horsepower than "upgrade" to a less powerful and bland looking vehicle?

Moreover....if I were looking at a hybrid vehicle with an Atkinson cycle engine, I'd go with Toyota's hybrid synergy drive - it has decades of proven reliability (for a hybrid).
You’ve summed it up extremely well. Perhaps too well (now this thread might get closed down). But thank you for saying it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.