Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
81 - 100 of 207 Posts

· Registered
655 Posts
True, but that's not entirely the case. The 10G is worst selling in part because of the Covid issues, supply chain challenges that none of the Accords had to face in the past. For whatever reasons, Honda's supply of cars have also seemingly been impacted significantly more than other manufacturers. It's also the changes in consumer demand of midsize sedans in recent years in general. The 10G has been an improvement over the previous gens. Trust me, I have had every single gen. Accord since the 7th gen. It's no perfect car, but it's up there with the best of them and an improvement in many ways. Sure, there's been a player that's more popular (Camry), but the Accord sales in the last three years, as bad as they were, were still right up there with the best (or should I say, most popular) of the bunch. They sold close to 300k in their first year too.

Another part is I think other than helping out Acura, this move was likely in the plan regardless of the 2.0t's sales. It could have sold 25% of all Accord sales combined, it still would have likely gotten axed. Why, because of the CAFE Standards.... they have to go with more fuel efficient cars and let go of the less efficient ones.... the 2.0t Accord just happens to exist in the wrong time. I fully expect the gen. following 11th will be all hybrid / electric, whether that's a good thing remains to be seen. The 1.5t will be next to get cut regardless. The fact that the 10G 1.5t sold way more than the HAH, yet is getting only 2 of the 6 spots in the 11th gen lineup tells you everything. It's all in the plan. I just hope that, whatever happens, there's a PHEV Accord, if not a full EV Accord, somewhere in the near future - one that does not disappoint either Accord crowd, the performance oriented and environmentally conscious alike, as we embrace the future of EV... 😭
You make good, reasonable points. And yes, it'll be interesting to see what the future holds.

· Registered
2004 Honda Accord LX 5 Speed
737 Posts
It's because of sales that they've made changes. Honda has just about always sold at least 300K Accords in the U.S. for the last few decades. That is, until the 10th gen. They got there the first year, and but that's it. The 10th gen has been Honda's worst selling Accord. So you wanted them to continue with the same offerings that no one was buying?
If I recall, the 10th generation was already controversial when it debuted because many people felt that it was a complete departure from what Honda had done with the 9th gen (which, in my opinion, was a great generation). All Honda did with the 11th gen is strip away even more of what many consumers want.

Reactions: 2005 6mt

· Administrator
2,017 Posts
In 4 pages of comments, no one mentioned that the hybrid batteries only last around 150k. It will cost about 3k to replace the battery so what money you save in gas mileage goes out the window.
Hang on a minute - let's put some math behind that. :)

A 2022 Accord 1.5T is rated at 33 MPG combined.
A 2022 Accord Hybrid is rated at 47 MPG combined.

At 15,000 miles per year and $3.00 per gallon,

The 1.5T will cost $1,364.
The Hybrid will cost $957.

Over 10 years, that's a savings of $4,070 so you're still $1,000 ahead with the Hybrid. The savings are even greater as the price of gasoline increases.

Other points to consider are that the hybrid is smoother, quieter, and more powerful than the non-hybrid and the batteries tend to gradually lose capacity over time instead of suddenly failing giving you plenty of time to strategize.

· 2020 CBP Touring
865 Posts
Hang on a minute - let's put some math behind that. :)

A 2022 Accord 1.5T is rated at 33 MPG combined.
A 2022 Accord Hybrid is rated at 47 MPG combined.

At 15,000 miles per year and $3.00 per gallon,

The 1.5T will cost $1,364.
The Hybrid will cost $957.

Over 10 years, that's a savings of $4,070 so you're still $1,000 ahead with the Hybrid. The savings are even greater as the price of gasoline increases.

Other points to consider are that the hybrid is smoother, quieter, and more powerful than the non-hybrid and the batteries tend to gradually lose capacity over time instead of suddenly failing giving you plenty of time to strategize.
[/Brainerd.
$100 a year isn't exactly a lot of money. I spent that on cigars yesterday.
NTM its very likely unexpected failures/issues will occur with this new, more complicated Hybrid drive system likely being the volume seller. Count another at least $1500-2000 for HondaCare. I got it for 7 years, 120k on my 2.0T for $1200 essentially bumper-to-bumper. Great investment on a newer powerplant at the time.

Reactions: outersquare

· Registered
200 Posts
Since owning my hybrid Accord, I cannot see going back to non-hybrid again. I'm not concerned about a possible (maybe) hybrid battery replacement at 150,000 miles, just as I'm not concerned about rebuilding a worn engine or transmission at that mileage. I'm at 56,000 miles and still on the original brake pads, so that's a cost offset, among others.

· Registered
28 Posts
Having put a deposit on a 2022 Honda Touring back on August 1st (I still don't have a build date yet), quite honestly I was a bit worried about the 2023 design making the 2022 models look outdated. Having seen the 2023 models I'm going to stick with the 2022 model. Yea, probably the interior design, electronics, and stereo sound quality have improved but I don't think that Honda did a very good job with exterior design for the 11th gen Honda.

· Registered
211 Posts
The lack of 10th gen sales is directly correlated to a consumer want of crossovers, suvs, and trucks. Fewer and fewer people are in the market for a sedan or coupe these days. Heck, Ford stopped selling all cars (Besides the Mustang, but that's a legacy icon for the brand) a few years back and their sales are still doing well with just crossovers, suvs, and trucks.

All manufacturers had a sales decline during Covid.

Even if the 11th gen didn't look like a red-headed stepchild, it still would have declining sales. That's just the current and future market.

· Registered
2004 Honda Accord LX 5 Speed
737 Posts
The lack of 10th gen sales is directly correlated to a consumer want of crossovers, suvs, and trucks. Fewer and fewer people are in the market for a sedan or coupe these days. Heck, Ford stopped selling all cars (Besides the Mustang, but that's a legacy icon for the brand) a few years back and their sales are still doing well with just crossovers, suvs, and trucks.

All manufacturers had a sales decline during Covid.

Even if the 11th gen didn't look like a red-headed stepchild, it still would have declining sales. That's just the current and future market.
I would like to know what about SUVs are so appealing. After renting one and riding in one, i just don’t see the appeal. They are slow, and don’t seem any more useful than a sedan. The only SUV I want is a 4 Runner.

· Registered
211 Posts
I would like to know what about SUVs are so appealing. After renting one and riding in one, i just don’t see the appeal. They are slow, and don’t seem any more useful than a sedan. The only SUV I want is a 4 Runner.
Not just suvs, but crossovers too. Crossovers handle and ride more like a car but you sit up higher. I'd say the majority of people like sitting up higher to see out. There's no hiding the fact it is easier for people to get into and out of something that sits a bit higher than a car as well.

With crossovers getting car-like fuel mileage, there's not a penalty for sitting up higher anymore. Plus suvs and trucks these days have all the luxury you could ever want. They rival a luxury car!

Most people don't care about how fast their vehicle is. They care about safety, tech features, and fuel mileage. We are in the minority man.

· Registered
3,177 Posts
Seating position, AWD, utility, and in many cases, no low profile tires. Don't have to worry about hitting the bottom of the bumper when parking. You give up very little in handling and acceleration and IMO a hybrid battery is better than a turbo for that extra oomph and response. There are plenty that are fast enough.

· Registered
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
70 Posts
With crossovers getting car-like fuel mileage, there's not a penalty for sitting up higher anymore. Plus suvs and trucks these days have all the luxury you could ever want. They rival a luxury car!

Most people don't care about how fast their vehicle is. They care about safety, tech features, and fuel mileage. We are in the minority man.
This is the reality. For many people, when you say "car", it has the emotional resonance of a toaster for them: It's strictly an appliance, and auto manufacturers are just following suit. 🤷🏽‍♂️

· Registered
70 Posts
This is what I'm wondering about with the 11th gen. Honda obviously wanted to keep the same design language as the other recently updated models. It's basically a smoothed out, slightly larger 10th gen. For what it's worth I think it lools fine, but a bit conservative.

Then I glance over at the TLX and say "Huh. Honda CAN design an exciting car. What gives with the Accord? " Sure, each car is for different market segments, but maybe families are OK with well-designed sedans?

· Registered
3 Posts
You know, I'm one of those folks who cares about the latter three attributes you mention, but I also appreciate handling and general road feel. Unless I'm going on a track, speed is what it is lol.

This is why I still appreciate Honda: the two I've had (2015 Accord Sport and 2018 Civic EX) were the total package with safety, tech, and fuel economy while being fun to drive.

· Registered
70 Posts
Don't look now, but Toyota just released images of the new Prius. It seems unfathomable, but it actually looks good. As in...if you're choosing between the new hybrid Accord or a new hybrid Prius, the Prius looks better. That in itself is an unbelievable statement. Toyota has more refined hybrid tech, AND one of the models has 220hp?! For a Prius??! Wow.

· 2020 CBP Touring
865 Posts
Don't look now, but Toyota just released images of the new Prius. It seems unfathomable, but it actually looks good. As in...if you're choosing between the new hybrid Accord or a new hybrid Prius, the Prius looks better. That in itself is an unbelievable statement. Toyota has more refined hybrid tech, AND one of the models has 220hp?! For a Prius??! Wow.

Pretty cool. It's so hard to tell what looks better in photos. My first impression is "Eww" but I have to see it IRL. The electric Grey Poupon color doesn't help it's case lol...
I remember I initially hated the styling of the 10th gen in all magazine and online pictures. Decided I was never buying one...
But then in person I actually liked it from most angles. Go figure...

Reactions: AccordPirate04

· Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to wait and see the new Prius in the flesh before making a final decision as to its looks. That picture does NOT send me. It just looks too space age for me. I like the older styling when cars didn't all look like jelly beans. I like a mix of curves and straight lines/edges.

81 - 100 of 207 Posts