Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Tried searching around for answers to my two questions but didn't really get anywhere. Hopefully someone can help me out:

I live up in Northern British Columbia where we tend to get some heavy snowfall and this will be my first winter with the coupe.

My first question is: Is it ok to go to 205-65-r16's from the current 235-45-r18's? (I got the size from tirerack.com)

My second question is: I'm going to need TPMS and was wondering if these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2008-10-Honda-Accord-Tire-Sensors-Set-4-TPMS-CRV-/290486018482?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a250e1b2

would work fine? They seem to be generic but i'm on a budget and would love it if i could get these rather than spending $200 at the Honda service desk or at the shop that I will eventually get my tires from.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
873 Posts
are you going to be getting an extra set of rims?
Cause the tire size you put down is for 16's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes will be going to 16" steelies. do you see any problems with the sizing? Also, is there a difference between the size of the coupe and sedan brakes?

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
you should be fine with the tire sizes. for my winters, i go 1 width narrower and 1 profile higher without changing my rim diameter.

you can see the changes here:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

comment about TPMS:
if you don't get a TPMS reset tool ($150 ish), you would have to get it reset at the dealer/any shop for about $40 each time you switch your setups. Tho i should have done it (i didn't, but i did it with my DRL warning light), you could take out your instrument panel and tape a black electrical tape over the TPMS LED light. You're suppose to check your tires often anyways, TPMS lets you sleep easier knowing it's there.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
you could just use the LX line tire size 215/60/16 with OEM replacement steel rims . 205 is a little on skinny side IMO for 3400lb car .

·
Registered
40 Posts
lol i use 245/45/17s on my winters =D dont ask me why so wide, the reason why i used wide tires is because i have a 1inch drop but i drive a sedan so who cares =D

·
Registered
296 Posts
What decided me on the tire size for my winter tires (215/60-16)... is the price.

I quoted tires on the OEM size on my car (225/50-17) - Michelin xIce2 --> 285$C each. Can you say Ouch?

The I asked the price of the same in 215/60-16: 182$C. 16" steelies? 45$ each.

Conclusion: 280$ saved (with taxes). With a second set of wheels. Thanks a lot.

(BTW - Love the XIce2s)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts