Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to believe we have 50K on our 2016 Accord. This was my first time doing a transmission service on a CVT. No big issues here if you have done any Honda transmission fluid changes. I apologize for no photos. I'll take a couple this week and post the location of the drain, fill and fluid level bolts. Easily located if you watch any number of Honda CVT fluid changes on YouTube.

What you will need:
4 qts Honda HCF-2 transmission fluid
1 - drain plug crush washer
14mm wrench to remove fill level bolt
3/8 breaker bar or 3/8 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive socket wrench
rubber gloves
paper towels
long funnel
flat blade screwdriver - to remove splash shield
Total time 35min

I changed the engine oil at the same time so the rear splash shield was off the car. Make sure you have 4qts of Honda HCF-2 fluid before starting. The car needs to be warm as well. I just came home from brunch so it was nice and toasty. Also on hand were a new crush washer, a long funnel, paper towels and rubber gloves.

Start by loosening the drain plug with a 3/8 breaker bar or socket wrench. Remove the plug and then locate the little yellow tag on the front of the tranny and pull the fill plug out. This helps the transmission drain faster. Wipe down the drain plug. I had a bit of the normal black slurry on the magnet, no large metal chunks or other things that would make me suspect of an issue. Clean off the plug and replace the crush washer. I placed a clean paper towel over the fill port and while I let the tranny drain for around 10 minutes, I replaced my engine air filter. Replace the drain plug and torque down to spec.

Looking down at the tranny from up top, to the left you will see a small bolt (14mm). This is the fill level hole. Much like filling a rear differential, you add fluid till it runs out the hole. Remove this screw and set aside. Make sure the car is level for this next step. Add your CVT fluid using the long funnel in to the fill port on the tranny. When you start on your 4th quart, go slow. The fill calls for 3.7 quarts of fluid and depending on how much you got out, you may use less, just enough or a bit more. Slowly add the fluid till it starts to run out of the fill hole then stop. Once the fluid stops running out, replace the check bolt and torque to 5 lbft or just snug. Replace the fill plug and wipe down any drips. The fluid that drained out had that transmission odor to it. Slightly off colored but still clear to see through. The replacement fluid was a very light color.

With the car in park, start the engine and bring up to operating temp. Your temp gauge needs to come off C in to the normal range. With your foot on the brake, go through each gear, pausing 10-15 seconds on each gear. Return to park and shut off. Check to see that you have no leaks and replace the lower splash shield. Test drive the vehicle to verify normal operation.

Likes and dislikes:

Since this was my first time servicing a CVT, there are a few likes/dislikes. First off was the fill plug. It is a pressure fit. For this reason I am a bit leery of it. Nice that you don't have to break it free but how does it hold 5-7yrs down the road? I may purchase a replacement plug and swap it out at 100K. I do like the fluid check plug since it is easy to see when you have the proper amount in the transmission. I will also replace this bolt the next transmission service. No crush washer on it. I do not like that there is not a dip stick to check the level as part of a maintenance check.

Total time to complete this service was around 35 min, including a 10 min test drive. Difficulty would rank a 1 our of 5. I had the funnel, paper towel and gloves on hand so my total cost was $48.00 for 4 quarts of HCF2 fluid and a drain crush washer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Humm.. I just did the CVT fluid change on a 2016 last weekend.. I do a little different procedure..

I removed 3.8qt from the drain..

I removed the check bolt on attempted to add fluid and it just poured out the check Bolt. (I assume the fluid is passing over the check bolt hole to fill the reservoir)

I put the check bolt back on and proceeded to add 4 qt

took my car off the Rhino ramps onto a flat surface shifted into all the different modes about 5 times/30 seconds each

Squeeze under the car and took the check bolt off, a small amount came out (car completely level)

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture to locate the different bolts/plugs you will need access to:

Drain - Drain plug
Fill - has yellow label. Just pull to remove, insert funnel and refill
Level Check - remove with car on flat surface to verify correct amount in tranny

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Necropost... but I need to change my CVT. No jacks since I'm in an apartment. Anyone able to drain the CVT fluid without lifting the car up?

Just did the fluid change, took a little over an hour. Emptied out more than a gallon of old fluid. Put back in a bout 3.8qt. Check bolt was a very slow drip. Unfortunately the dealership did not sell me the correct crush washer for the check bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts