Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2022 accord sport 2.0
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 555 miles on my Accord and everytime that I get out of my car inside the garage I smell something burning. I don’t ever smell it inside the car. There isn’t any fluids on the garage floor, I don’t see any antifreeze dripping on the exhaust.
I think that it could just be the “ newness “ of maybe the exhaust. Has anyone else had anything similar?

· Registered
'02 s2000, '05 Civic, '22 Accord
13 Posts
may be new metal smell when it's hot?

May be it's the lube / oil from factory being burn off?
It is recommended that drive first 600 miles under 4000 rpm to burn off everything from factory.

Just turn the car on and do inspection. Probably nothing.

· V6 Supremacist 😎
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
2,197 Posts
Someone said it was the plastic engine cover.
Well, the easy way to test that would be to remove the cover and see if it persists.

Reactions: Donniet53

· Registered
210 Posts
I only have 555 miles on my Accord and everytime that I get out of my car inside the garage I smell something burning. I don’t ever smell it inside the car. There isn't any fluids on the garage floor, I don’t see any antifreeze dripping on the exhaust.
I think that it could just be the “ newness “ of maybe the exhaust. Has anyone else had anything similar?
99% chance it is because it is brand new. I can all but guarantee you that. New vehicles have a film (oil) from manufacturing on certain parts that burns off after a while. This includes not only the motor itself, but the exhaust system too. The best way for the smell to go away is to drive it. It can take a thousand miles or so before the smell dissipates.

You will usually smell it while walking around the engine bay whether the engine bay is open or not. You can also smell it by getting up under the vehicle.

· Registered
2022 accord sport 2.0
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
99% chance it is because it is brand new. I can all but guarantee you that. New vehicles have a film (oil) from manufacturing on certain parts that burns off after a while. This includes not only the motor itself, but the exhaust system too. The best way for the smell to go away is to drive it. It can take a thousand miles or so before the smell dissipates.

You will usually smell it while walking around the engine bay whether the engine bay is open or not. You can also smell it by getting up under the vehicle.
Thanks for the info, I agree with your assessment. 😎

· 2020 CBP Touring
865 Posts
Glad to hear it resolved OP. This happened to me also for the first few thousand miles. Especially in the heat.

If I was idling in the heat with a fully warmed up car, I'd occasionally even get a whiff through the vents if the a/c was on high and outside air.

Reactions: Donniet53
1 - 9 of 9 Posts