Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently considering trading my HAH for the 2.0T Accord or Acura TLX. I'm wanting more power and driver enjoyment since the Hybrid is not giving me much better gas range vs more powerful options like these. I get 430 to 450 miles a tank at best. I'm wondering which would be the better option for the next few years. I love the TLX looks and interior but the Accord is nice too. So my question is which model makes the most sense. It's between an Aspec TLX or Touring Accord. This forum is usually quite helpful so any input is appreciated and helpful.

·
Rollin in FL
1,267 Posts
I'm currently considering trading my HAH for the 2.0T Accord or Acura TLX. I'm wanting more power and driver enjoyment since the Hybrid is not giving me much better gas range vs more powerful options like these. I get 430 to 450 miles a tank at best. I'm wondering which would be the better option for the next few years. I love the TLX looks and interior but the Accord is nice too. So my question is which model makes the most sense. It's between an Aspec TLX or Touring Accord. This forum is usually quite helpful so any input is appreciated and helpful.
How much are you willing to dump? Also, you shouldn’t just base your claims on range. Cuz my MDX with the J35Y5 can easily hit 640 miles range and she ain’t no hybrid at all.

If anything stay with the Accord since Honda went a step backwards in time with the TLX for this generation. This also applies for the RDX and MDX as well. If you don’t know what I mean, just look up at the last gen TL, 2nd gen MDX and 1st gen RDX to get an understanding.

Your HAH should be peppy enough, unless you want them spoolie boiis and that whistle. Either way, its your decision at the end and I’d suggest holding onto that HAH if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Well, there’s been a couple of threads on this very topic. Here’s one of them: Accord Vs TLX 2021

In your case, it’s a bit different since you’re going from an HAH. My question for you… how much do you care about mpg vs performance? Sound system? Do you need AWD?

When you say it’s not giving you much better mpg, what do you mean exactly? 40mpg combined? 35 mpg? Even at 35 MPG, that’s going to be much better combined mileage than either the Accord 2.0t or TLX unless you do strictly highway driving.

If you’ve already narrowed down to these two options, I’d consider these:
TLX
Pros
1) Better interior quality (as it should be)
2) Much better sound system
3) Better handling (Accord’s not bad either)
4) Optional AWD
5) Longer standard / basic warranty
Cons
1) Tiny backseat & smaller trunks
2) Worse gas mileage by a bit
3) much heavier weight - slightly slower acceleration, although if you’re looking at Touring they might be real close, like within .2 or so 0-60
4) Obviously higher MSRP

To me, the biggest differentiators between the two are TLX’s superior sound system and SH-AWD. If you don’t care much for either and can get both cars for MSRP, I’d get the Accord. But like it was mentioned, I’d probably hold on to the HAH especially given the current gas situation.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,408 Posts
I'm currently considering trading my HAH for the 2.0T Accord or Acura TLX. I'm wanting more power and driver enjoyment since the Hybrid is not giving me much better gas range vs more powerful options like these.
I thought the 2.0T didn't feel THAT much faster.

I thought you were loving the HAH and the 40+ MPG... that it felt plenty quick.

From Sonata N to HAH to... Accord 2.0T or TLX??? If you decide to make the trade, you better do a very thorough test drive to make sure it's what you want.

Just bought a MSM Touring Accord Hybrid. I only had it a few days and loving it so far. It seems a great deal quicker than I thought. I was torn between a Sport 2.0T, a 2.0T Touring that is a few months from coming and the Hybrid I got. This is my first Hybrid and when I drove to turbo it did not seem too much faster to me to lose the Touring features and the incoming (and only available for the foreseeable future) 2.0T Touring was not a color I wanted. I chose the Hybrid because it was the right combination of looks and features and felt plenty quick. Plus I like the idea of 40+ mpg. Traded in a Sonata N line that was fast but just did not feel like it was for me.

Was I mistaken when the Hybrid felt quick and the 2.0t, while faster, did not feel THAT much faster?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The main problem with the TLX vs the Accord is the bottom line price and the fact that the Accord just makes more sense to most people. The Accord is bigger in almost all dimensions and offers features that in some cases aren't even available on the TLX (wireless Apple CarPlay) or in other cases Acura charges extra for despite its much higher MSRP.

The TLX is a very beautiful car... but I really don't think that it's worth the price premium over an Accord... at least if you are comparing it to a higher trim level of Accord. Based on your avatar image, it looks like you have an Accord Touring Hybrid. You'd be paying about $10,000 more for the TLX A-Spec compared to the MSRP on an Accord Touring Hybrid. I honestly don't think that the TLX is worth it at that price.

With all of that said- the market in most parts of the country is such that trading in your practically new Accord will probably get you about what you paid for it- depending on if you were able to get it for MSRP when you bought it. If you really wanted to trade up... the market won't get any better... but that will all depend on if your local Acura dealer is charging a "market adjustment" for their cars. Most premium-brand dealers in my area are adding thousands to the price of their cars in the form of "market adjustment"... and if the Acura dealers near you are doing that- the TLX will be even more expensive... as it starts at $46/$48K depending if it is FWD or AWD. Heck- Even Genesis dealers in my area are adding huge "market adjustments" to their cars- from $3,000 for the G70 to more than $8,000 for their SUVs....

I'll tell you this- if you are looking to spend $48,000 on a near-luxury or luxury mid-size... my vote would be for an ES350. You'd get Toyota's awesome 3.5L V6... which is one of the best engines you can buy in any car today in terms of balancing power with reliability and durability. An ES350 isn't as sporty and won't handle as nicely as a TLX... but in my opinion it's a much better car in the $45-50K price range. $46k will buy you a nice ES350 with the premium package. $48,000 will buy an even nicer one with the premium and navigation packages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the 2.0T didn't feel THAT much faster.

I thought you were loving the HAH and the 40+ MPG... that it felt plenty quick.

From Sonata N to HAH to... Accord 2.0T or TLX??? If you decide to make the trade, you better do a very thorough test drive to make sure it's what you want.
That's the plan. To do a thorough test drive. The HAH made alot of sense when I got it based on how I love how much better the overall quality was over my Hyundai and I was expecting the mpgs to be at least 39 to 40 mpg and a range of at least 500 miles. I'm only getting 35mpg combined and that's mixing hwy and city driving in both hot and cold weather and barely over 430 range (and I don't normally floor it much). The HAH felt quick for the Limited test drive I took when doing the comparison and is still reasonable. It's just if I knew I would be getting this kind of mpg I probably would have waited for a 2.0 (Tourings seem super hard to get these days) since I do enough hwy driving for it to come relatively close(based on what I have read others have gotten with their 2.0T).

Well, there’s been a couple of threads on this very topic. Here’s one of them: Accord Vs TLX 2021

In your case, it’s a bit different since you’re going from an HAH. My question for you… how much do you care about mpg vs performance? Sound system? Do you need AWD?

When you say it’s not giving you much better mpg, what do you mean exactly? 40mpg combined? 35 mpg? Even at 35 MPG, that’s going to be much better combined mileage than either the Accord 2.0t or TLX unless you do strictly highway driving.

If you’ve already narrowed down to these two options, I’d consider these:
TLX
Pros
1) Better interior quality (as it should be)
2) Much better sound system
3) Better handling (Accord’s not bad either)
4) Optional AWD
5) Longer standard / basic warranty
Cons
1) Tiny backseat & smaller trunks
2) Worse gas mileage by a bit
3) much heavier weight - slightly slower acceleration, although if you’re looking at Touring they might be real close, like within .2 or so 0-60
4) Obviously higher MSRP

To me, the biggest differentiators between the two are TLX’s superior sound system and SH-AWD. If you don’t care much for either and can get both cars for MSRP, I’d get the Accord. But like it was mentioned, I’d probably hold on to the HAH especially given the current gas situation.
I have read a bunch of reviews on how great the sound system is in the TLX. The Accord sound system leaves alot to be desired but is not the worse in the world. MPG matters a little, but overall quality and driving range and driving enjoyment mean more. I really appreciate all the responses I've gotten so far and this is helping me alot. I plan to do a few test drives this week to rule some options out and it certainly would not be the end of the world if I had to stick with what I have since overall it is a great car. I just want what I am paying for to be satisfying the reason I got it in the first place.

The main problem with the TLX vs the Accord is the bottom line price and the fact that the Accord just makes more sense to most people. The Accord is bigger in almost all dimensions and offers features that in some cases aren't even available on the TLX (wireless Apple CarPlay) or in other cases Acura charges extra for despite its much higher MSRP.

The TLX is a very beautiful car... but I really don't think that it's worth the price premium over an Accord... at least if you are comparing it to a higher trim level of Accord. Based on your avatar image, it looks like you have an Accord Touring Hybrid. You'd be paying about $10,000 more for the TLX A-Spec compared to the MSRP on an Accord Touring Hybrid. I honestly don't think that the TLX is worth it at that price.

With all of that said- the market in most parts of the country is such that trading in your practically new Accord will probably get you about what you paid for it- depending on if you were able to get it for MSRP when you bought it. If you really wanted to trade up... the market won't get any better... but that will all depend on if your local Acura dealer is charging a "market adjustment" for their cars. Most premium-brand dealers in my area are adding thousands to the price of their cars in the form of "market adjustment"... and if the Acura dealers near you are doing that- the TLX will be even more expensive... as it starts at $46/$48K depending if it is FWD or AWD. Heck- Even Genesis dealers in my area are adding huge "market adjustments" to their cars- from $3,000 for the G70 to more than $8,000 for their SUVs....

I'll tell you this- if you are looking to spend $48,000 on a near-luxury or luxury mid-size... my vote would be for an ES350. You'd get Toyota's awesome 3.5L V6... which is one of the best engines you can buy in any car today in terms of balancing power with reliability and durability. An ES350 isn't as sporty and won't handle as nicely as a TLX... but in my opinion it's a much better car in the $45-50K price range. $46k will buy you a nice ES350 with the premium package. $48,000 will buy an even nicer one with the premium and navigation packages.
Funny you should say that. I was considering at Toyota Avalon based on most of the reasons you listed. I plan to keep whatever I choose for at least a few years so reliability is important and I can't lie, it would be nice to have something that I don't see 10 of on every street.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Base TLX is the same price as Touring Accord. Base TLX is terrible when it comes to features/luxuries, many things Touring has you don't get with TLX Tech, you have to get to Advance and by then it's $10K more. What kills me is when people buy FWD TLX for more money to have worse MPG, less features and be slower than top trim Accord Touring with the same powertrain, better MPG and way more features - for less money. Just so you can say you drive an Acura, not a Honda...

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now.
3,446 Posts
Base TLX is the same price as Touring Accord. Base TLX is terrible when it comes to features/luxuries, many things Touring has you don't get with TLX Tech, you have to get to Advance and by then it's $10K more. What kills me is when people buy FWD TLX for more money to have worse MPG, less features and be slower than top trim Accord Touring with the same powertrain, better MPG and way more features - for less money. Just so you can say you drive an Acura, not a Honda...
This is one reason why Acura is in trouble. There is little to justify the pricing.

Acura styling is currently much better than the equivalent Honda models, but there’s little else.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,640 Posts
I'd get the Accord and mod it. Mod the handling with a 22mm rear sway bar. Mod the sound system. I've tried to talk myself into a TLX since 2015, but their reliability was a disaster with that model year and the next. The subframe would howl at highway speeds, how do you fix that??! I test drove every trim all the way to A-Spec in 2015 and 2016. They're quiet, no roadnoise, all that good stuff. Reliability. Sign up here Acura TLX Forum and ask away. As members have mentioned, the cost difference is considerable and I sincerely don't think TLX is worth it.

Reactions: overlord

·
port & polish everything
1,735 Posts
Coming from a hybrid if one were at all sensitive to fuel cost, keep in mind the TLX recommends premium gas in addition to slightly worse economy for FWD TLX, then again a little worse for AWD TLX.
Aside from the cons already mentioned the TLX looks really nice on the road especially with any of the appearance packages, low and wide, no mistaking it for an Accord. I still probably wouldn't buy one either though.

·
CVtwo
‘21 Sport 2.0T
65 Posts
I debated the TLX as well before I purchased my 2.0, but I couldn’t justify the extra cost for the few small extra bells n whistles the TLX offers

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Funny you should say that. I was considering at Toyota Avalon based on most of the reasons you listed. I plan to keep whatever I choose for at least a few years so reliability is important and I can't lie, it would be nice to have something that I don't see 10 of on every street.
The main problem that I have with the Avalon is that it just sits too close to the ground- it's actually shorter in terms of height compared to the Accord. I test drove an Avalon Limited last week and hit my head on the top part of the door frame every time that I got in and out. I really loved everything else about the car (other than infotainment)- but no matter what I did- no matter how I positioned the seat- my head hit the top of the door frame getting in/out... which instantly made it a no-go in my book.

I didn't hit my head when I sat in a current gen ES350... which is strange because the Avalon and ES350 are pretty much carbon copies of each other- with the Lexus obviously getting a better interior... but it has the same issue as the Accord vs TLX comparison... you can get an Avalon Limited that comes with pretty much everything for $45k... including features that you can't seem to get on an ES at any price- heated rear seats, for example. To get a comparatively equipped ES350... you have to spend about $5,000 more.

How about a Highlander... Ha ha... just kidding.

·
2018 HAH Touring
160 Posts
Hmm, unless you really love the 10G Accord I would not buy a new one at this stage, because in a year or less it will probably be replaced by any 11G Accord if there is one. I read any 'new' Accord Hybrid is going to be a focus and maybe have considerable upgrades to the Hybrid system
I drove the wonderful long-gone Acura coupes; mostly manuals (Legend and CL-S). Acura sedans never interested me much. Chasing after speed with gas only powertrains seems soon to be old school. Electrification, be it hybrid, plugins, or BEV will hopefully replace gas only. Fine with me.
But good luck, the TLX seems fine but pricey for what you get imo.

·
Reverse Gear
1,021 Posts
We got our TLX last year because we are leasing and the Accord 2.0 Touring and Acura TLX SH-AWD with Technology lease prices were similar. It was a no brainer to take the TLX. SH-AWD is great. The interior of the TLX is luxurious beyond the Accord Touring. The TLX has wired car-play only (which can be corrected with an aftermarket device). While being very used to Accords, what I'm not crazy about is the lower driving position that the TLX has. I am only a part time driver of the TLX - because it is my wife's car, but I just can't get a sense of where the front end of the TLX ends. The front-end does extend only a few inches beyond the Accord's but the feeling is that it is much longer than it really is. You really have to drive both to see which suits you best. SH-AWD will use more gas, but the handling is (in my opinion) worth the penalty.

Things that I took for granted in an Accord (for instance: fog lights, which I believe are standard on all but the LX trim) require expensive option packages on the TLX.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd get the Accord and mod it. Mod the handling with a 22mm rear sway bar. Mod the sound system. I've tried to talk myself into a TLX since 2015, but their reliability was a disaster with that model year and the next. The subframe would howl at highway speeds, how do you fix that??! I test drove every trim all the way to A-Spec in 2015 and 2016. They're quiet, no roadnoise, all that good stuff. Reliability. Sign up here Acura TLX Forum and ask away. As members have mentioned, the cost difference is considerable and I sincerely don't think TLX is worth it.
Adding front sway bar makes a world of difference vs rear only. These cars have a little twitch at highway speeds and if you make a sudden lane change, there's a delay in when front goes and back starts to follow. If you do rear only, it will help but if you do front as well (which isn't cheap because you need to drop the subframe) - it will handle like it's on rails. I had a person who's driven S2000 for the past 10 years drive it and he said it impressed him in ways he never expected. There's ZERO lean.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We got our TLX last year because we are leasing and the Accord 2.0 Touring and Acura TLX SH-AWD with Technology lease prices were similar. It was a no brainer to take the TLX. SH-AWD is great. The interior of the TLX is luxurious beyond the Accord Touring. The TLX has wired car-play only (which can be corrected with an aftermarket device). While being very used to Accords, what I'm not crazy about is the lower driving position that the TLX has. I am only a part time driver of the TLX - because it is my wife's car, but I just can't get a sense of where the front end of the TLX ends. The front-end does extend only a few inches beyond the Accord's but the feeling is that it is much longer than it really is. You really have to drive both to see which suits you best. SH-AWD will use more gas, but the handling is (in my opinion) worth the penalty.

Things that I took for granted in an Accord (for instance: fog lights, which I believe are standard on all but the LX trim) require expensive option packages on the TLX.
I'm not talking about you, please keep that in mind but I've yet to meet a person who knows how the SH-AWD system really works (torque vectoring, 70% to the back, 100% left to right, etc.). I've talked until I'm numb in the face that Acura's AWD means NOTHING in snow/ice/rain/turns/corners unless you're applying gas. That when you start to feel like the rear is coming loose, you must accelerate, not hit the brake pedal. Braking disengages the SH-AWD. It's a magical system - if used correctly which 99% of people not only don't use but don't even know what it stands for. We (car community) are an anomaly compared to masses that buy these cars.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I test drove a 2020 Acura TLX Aspec before I bought my Accord. The car was quick and I really liked it but the car itself didn’t justify the price. I figured if I was gonna spend that much on a car I might as well go with a Lexus since it’s a better car and is #1 in reliability, which I eventually ended up doing. My thing with Acuras has always been that to be a car that costs much more than an accord, they usually don’t look better than them. It’s only been recently that Acuras have started to catch my eye. The new Acura TLX looks good from the front and side but the rear needs some attention in my opinion. It has grown on me some, though. For what you get for the money, I would definitely go with the Touring. In my opinion the only major advantage the TLX has is it has an AWD option.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts