Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I test drove a 2020 Acura TLX Aspec before I bought my Accord. The car was quick and I really liked it but the car itself didn’t justify the price. I figured if I was gonna spend that much on a car I might as well go with a Lexus since it’s a better car and is #1 in reliability, which I eventually ended up doing. My thing with Acuras has always been that to be a car that costs much more than an accord, they usually don’t look better then them. It’s only been recently that Acuras have started to catch my eye. The new Acura TLX looks good from the front and side but the rear needs some attention in my opinion. It has grown on me some, though. For what you get for the money, I would definitely go with the Touring. In my opinion the only major advantage the TLX has is it has an AWD option.
I 100% agree with your assessment of the TLX. It's a nice car... but the main issue is that you have to spend nearly $48k to get a car that has the same features as the Accord that's $39k. At that price point- you are absolutely correct when you say that the Lexus ES is the better buy. Toyota's 3.5L V6 is legendary- and I'm glad that we both got one before it goes the way of the dinosaur. Toyota just announced today that the Highlander's V6 is going to be replaced by a 2.4L turbo 4 cylinder. Who wants to bet that when the Camry and all of the other vehicles that offer the 3.5L are refreshed they will follow the same fate... including the ES350 and RX350 on the Lexus side of the company.

I'm glad I got my Highlander when I did... although I'd love to get one in the new dark green color that will be offered next year... but not if it has a turbo 4. I'll just have to be happy with my dark red one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I 100% agree with your assessment of the TLX. It's a nice car... but the main issue is that you have to spend nearly $48k to get a car that has the same features as the Accord that's $39k. At that price point- you are absolutely correct when you say that the Lexus ES is the better buy. Toyota's 3.5L V6 is legendary- and I'm glad that we both got one before it goes the way of the dinosaur. Toyota just announced today that the Highlander's V6 is going to be replaced by a 2.4L turbo 4 cylinder. Who wants to bet that when the Camry and all of the other vehicles that offer the 3.5L are refreshed they will follow the same fate... including the ES350 and RX350 on the Lexus side of the company.

I'm glad I got my Highlander when I did... although I'd love to get one in the new dark green color that will be offered next year... but not if it has a turbo 4. I'll just have to be happy with my dark red one.
Yeah, I’m glad we got the 3.5 V6 too before it disappears. It will be interesting to see if Lexus throws in a turbo 4 cylinder in the 2024 redesigned ES 350. They probably will because they are trying to condition people to accept hybrids and EVs. I thought about that too when I was considering getting a 2.0 Sport. I know the 2.0 May be a little faster than the ES 350 but I didn’t want another 4 cylinder. Especially one under so much pressure. I wanted to finally get a V6 like I always wanted.

The dark red paint on your Highlander May grow on you. That’s how it was with my ES. There was pretty much no new ES 350 F Sports on lots and I was too lazy to hunt down used ones to see the colors in person. I based my color choice on what I saw on YouTube videos. Dumb decision. I reserved a red one that was coming in. When I saw the car in person I thought the red paint was too dark and not bright like my Accord. They had a used 2021 white one on the lot and I fell in love with it. To Make matters worse, it was very overcast outside and I couldn’t get a good idea what the red paint would look like in the sun. I was told they weren’t sure when a white one was coming in and I was confident the paint would brighten up in direct sunlight so I pulled the trigger. After I brought the car home and saw the car in direct sunlight for the first time, it only brightened up a little and I started to regret my color choice. But now I absolutely love the color and am happy I chose it. You probably will too.

By the way, I really like your Highlander. I’ve never driven one before but a friend of mine bought a 2020 RAV4 with the 2.5 4 cyl engine and I drove it and really liked it. It had plenty of power for a 4 banger so I can imagine how yours drives. Are you on any Toyota forums?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The dark red paint on your Highlander May grow on you. That’s how it was with my ES. There was pretty much no new ES 350 F Sports on lots and I was too lazy to hunt down used ones to see the colors in person.
Don't get me wrong... I love the dark red color on my Highlander... I just love dark green a lot more and have always wanted a car in that color. Dark green was very popular in the 90s... but kinda faded from Toyota's lineup from the early 2000s until just recently.

As soon as I read the text in the 2023 Highlander press release mentioning that it was going to be available in Cypress Green... I instantly thought that it was going to be like a light/faded green like Toyota has used in cars over the past decade or two. I found a picture of a Sienna in that color and was happy to see that it was more of a forest green color.

By the way, I really like your Highlander. I’ve never driven one before but a friend of mine bought a 2020 RAV4 with the 2.5 4 cyl engine and I drove it and really liked it. It had plenty of power for a 4 banger so I can imagine how yours drives. Are you on any Toyota forums?
Thanks... I'm liking it more and more every day. It's hard to go from a car that's a bit more on the sporty side (at least by mainstream midsize sedan standards) to a mid-size SUV... but it makes up for it in utility and smoothness. The 3.5L V6 is very nice, but the Highlander's 4400 lb takes away some of its gusto. I'd imagine that's it's got a bit more pep in your ES350- which weighs 700 lb less.

Plus, I'm really liking how quiet the Highlander is. You can can have a conversation at normal volume on the highway without having trouble hearing others in the car... that's not something I could say about my two Accords.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I love the dark red color on my Highlander... I just love dark green a lot more and have always wanted a car in that color. Dark green was very popular in the 90s... but kinda faded from Toyota's lineup from the early 2000s until just recently.

As soon as I read the text in the 2023 Highlander press release mentioning that it was going to be available in Cypress Green... I instantly thought that it was going to be like a light/faded green like Toyota has used in cars over the past decade or two. I found a picture of a Sienna in that color and was happy to see that it was more of a forest green color.

Thanks... I'm liking it more and more every day. It's hard to go from a car that's a bit more on the sporty side (at least by mainstream midsize sedan standards) to a mid-size SUV... but it makes up for it in utility and smoothness. The 3.5L V6 is very nice, but the Highlander's 4400 lb takes away some of its gusto. I'd imagine that's it's got a bit more pep in your ES350- which weighs 700 lb less.

Plus, I'm really liking how quiet the Highlander is. You can can have a conversation at normal volume on the highway without having trouble hearing others in the car... that's not something I could say about my two Accords.
Yeah, I remember those green cars from the 90’s. I used to own a green 96 Camry. I only have about 300 miles on my car so I haven’t punched it. But I did test drive a 2021. It’s pretty fast but not as fast as I imagined it would be. Yeah, that’s one thing I didn’t like about my Accord. It was noisy! The Goodyear tires didn’t help either. All 4 of the accords I‘ve owned were noisy but I usually drive with music on so it didn’t really bother me. I would like to hear how the road noise is in a touring, though.

By the way, here’s a thread on a Lexus forum discussing whether or not Lexus will do away with the V6 and replace them with a turbo 4 cyl like you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yeah, I remember those green cars from the 90’s. I used to own a green 96 Camry. I only have about 300 miles on my car so I haven’t punched it. But I did test drive a 2021. It’s pretty fast but not as fast as I imagined it would be. Yeah, that’s one thing I didn’t like about my Accord. It was noisy! The Goodyear tires didn’t help either. All 4 of the accords I‘ve owned were noisy but I usually drive with music on so it didn’t really bother me. I would like to hear how the road noise is in a touring, though.

By the way, here’s a thread on a Lexus forum discussing whether or not Lexus will do away with the V6 and replace them with a turbo 4 cyl like you mentioned.

Oh- and yes, I'm active on ToyotaNation, but I have a different username... mainly because my account was created all the way back in 2004.

·
jayhawk1
123 Posts

I have a 2018 Touring 2.0 and it is noisy. I've gone to 18 inch tires that are supposed to be quieter than the factory Michelins, added multiple layers of soundproofing to the trunk, fenders, doors, rear cabin (haven't pulled the carpet and done under the front seats yet) and it hasnt had much of an effect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2018 Touring 2.0 and it is noisy. I've gone to 18 inch tires that are supposed to be quieter than the factory Michelins, added multiple layers of soundproofing to the trunk, fenders, doors, rear cabin (haven't pulled the carpet and done under the front seats yet) and it hasnt had much of an effect.
Using lightweight/cost cutting materials for the makeup of a car has consequences. Thinner sheet metal for floor pans for example.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you spend Touring money you shouldn‘t have to deal with a noisy car. Honda really needs to step it up.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L 2.0
27 Posts
The 17s on my '18 EX-L are quite adequate and the noise is better than Accords of years' past....if I were that concerned about road noise, I wouldn't have bought an Accord...having said that, I like the fact that I will not see maintenance costs that go with a luxury brand...and the slightly smaller wheels and tires will save me $ down the road....for what the Accord gives you, I can't imagine paying the price bump for the Acura.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
49 Posts
The main problem that I have with the Avalon is that it just sits too close to the ground- it's actually shorter in terms of height compared to the Accord. I test drove an Avalon Limited last week and hit my head on the top part of the door frame every time that I got in and out. I really loved everything else about the car (other than infotainment)- but no matter what I did- no matter how I positioned the seat- my head hit the top of the door frame getting in/out... which instantly made it a no-go in my book.

I didn't hit my head when I sat in a current gen ES350... which is strange because the Avalon and ES350 are pretty much carbon copies of each other- with the Lexus obviously getting a better interior... but it has the same issue as the Accord vs TLX comparison... you can get an Avalon Limited that comes with pretty much everything for $45k... including features that you can't seem to get on an ES at any price- heated rear seats, for example. To get a comparatively equipped ES350... you have to spend about $5,000 more.

How about a Highlander... Ha ha... just kidding.
I actually like the ES350 quite a bit. Strangely, I do use the fold down seats in the Accord not infrequently (mostly for solo ski trips during ski season) so, even though the ES350 is great, I couldn't justify trading in my Accord.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
49 Posts
The 17s on my '18 EX-L are quite adequate and the noise is better than Accords of years' past....if I were that concerned about road noise, I wouldn't have bought an Accord...having said that, I like the fact that I will not see maintenance costs that go with a luxury brand...and the slightly smaller wheels and tires will save me $ down the road....for what the Accord gives you, I can't imagine paying the price bump for the Acura.
This is really is the crux of "upgrading" to a TLX if you already own a 2018-2022 Accord with the 2.0T engine. The value proposition just doesn't seem to be there comparatively, but I'd definitely concede the TLX has superior styling.

·
2022 Hybrid Sport PWP
12 Posts
I was cross-shopping the TLX and Camry, and ended up with the Accord Hybrid. TLX was nice, but I just couldn't get myself to pay the premium over the Accord. Don't really care for all of the leather, soft-touch, ambient lighting, etc. I see the appeal of those things, but just not my style. I also convinced myself that the hybrid powertrain, with it's less complicated mechanical setup, would potentially be more trouble free. No DI, no transmission, and no turbo.

Contrary to most, I like a bit of noise and vibration coming into the cabin. If it is too quiet, and I cannot feel the car under me, I feel disconnected from the driving experience. That is one reason why the Camry was out after the first test drive. Too numb feeling, no feedback.

·
2018 HAH Touring
160 Posts
I enjoy reading this thread as I am a long time Acura V6er. After driving my 03 CLS 6-Speed for 18 years I made a side turn to my first sedan and to Honda...for the Accord Hybrid. For me, it was the most appealing Honda (or Acura), and yes the 2.0 Accord felt faster than my CLS... but didnt handle as well, and LSD helps.

I wanted to start easing myself into the electrified car era. I totally loved the 4 V6 Acura coupes I had but now I'm driving my first Honda sedan. I think the Accord hybrid powertrain is impressive in both design, and how it functions; provides very smooth electric power and almost seamless gas/electric transitions. The torque is fast enough for me.
(It will pass most all 10Gs Accords i.e. 1.5s on the road to 60mph.)

But I still remember first driving my 88 and 95 Legend Coupes and even the Prelude. Oh Acura, what happened to us.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if OP is even checking this thread but as someone who has a 2022 2.0T Sport, I concur with some other posters that mentioned the gas mileage. While mine has been great for what it is, if you're currently struggling to get mid-30s in a HAH, you'll likely be in the 20s with the 2.0T car.

I personally can average 31-33mpg per tank but my driving is mostly highway on the weekends, I don't need to commute to work. So its almost ideal driving conditions. If it was stop and go traffic and lots of traffic lights, the car wouldn't likely get near 30mpg.

Love the car and the powertrain is fantastic but given the mileage history with an HAH, I don't think you'd be happy with the 2.0T cars.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
249 Posts
If you spend Touring money you shouldn‘t have to deal with a noisy car. Honda really needs to step it up.
It’s the OP. 21 Touring myself and it’s fine. Expectations are set to high for price, performance and luxury. Want something more quiet you need to go Acura instead of Honda.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts