Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
59F today, the last day to do this comfortably. I used these snow tires on steel '16s that I used on my 04 MDX. Tires were only used 1 season and still have the chalk stripe on them.

I have to go up an 1.5 mile long 8% grade to get home. If it snows, FWD simply won't make it up that hill before plows and salt.

Since these were laying in the storage shed, I slapped them on for the one day I don't drive either the '07 or '12 MDX and we get hit with a blizzard in the middle of the day while I'm at work.

First off, these bad boys are big. No touch fortunately. I am impressed at how light the stock wheel/tire is. I have no clue on the speedo error at this point.

The only advantage to our crude, basic TPMS is that the light does not come on since the it uses the rotational differences in the tires to determine if PSI is low. No true wheel sensor is used.

As long as the tires are the same size and have the same pressure, they will rotate at the same speed and will not trigger the TPMS.

I'll report back after the third snow (we have had two storms already).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jesus! Those tires make your steelies look like 13s.

Not that anyone cares in winter - but you weren't lying when you said they were big.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
wow, thats over 2" taller than stock. That really doesn't rub at all? I wonder if you might pack snow into that tiny wheel well space.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yea, and also just very wide for winter too but OP makes it sound like this is a last resort winter rider so meh...

·
Registered
293 Posts
That looks crazy! Lol Can you post a pic further back with a side shot of the whole car?

BTW...
At 60MPH on the speedo, you will really be doing 66MPH.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, thats over 2" taller than stock. That really doesn't rub at all? I wonder if you might pack snow into that tiny wheel well space.
Upside is higher ground clearance I guess.

Yea, and also just very wide for winter too but OP makes it sound like this is a last resort winter rider so meh...

Correct. This is a "just in case I get surprised tire". Last winter the Accord sat in the garage most of the winter and that is the plan this year but it still gets driven from time to time and I and many others have either been stuck or struggled mightily to get up that hill on all seasons tires. Fresh snow, no salt, no plowing yet and all seasons and FWD just doesn't cut it on steep hills (at least this one).

That looks crazy! Lol Can you post a pic further back with a side shot of the whole car?

BTW...
At 60MPH on the speedo, you will really be doing 66MPH.
Will do, I need to edit my address out of the pic.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll need to post with wheel covers on. If I didn't have these already, I would not buy them for this car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'll need to post with wheel covers on. If I didn't have these already, I would not buy them for this car.

So awesome. Get some wheel spacers on there too haha!

Oh winter. My car is as white as yours. And it's black...:(

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The other interesting thing is that all 4 maintained PSI at 33 since last winter sitting in the garage

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel very fortunate to live in Florida, can not imagine having to deal with this headache.

Wish you guys a safe winter.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I had General tires (not snows) on my Mazda and loved them. Great tread life and handling, and they lasted longer than I thought for the price. Definitely comparable to Michelin for half the price.

(sorry to bomb your post, this isn't related lol)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had General tires (not snows) on my Mazda and loved them. Great tread life and handling, and they lasted longer than I thought for the price. Definitely comparable to Michelin for half the price.

(sorry to bomb your post, this isn't related lol)
I just put a set of the General Artics (215/55R17) on my '13 sport and just went through my first snow. They are great in the snow, however.... In everything else they are not so great, especially at highway speed (and I loved these on a Miata I had them on). I expected the road noise, but the feel the sidewall flex is substantial and the way it makes the car "float". If you are in the market and going to be doing a lot of interstate driving, I would look into another tire.....

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

·
4,339 Posts
I just put a set of the General Artics (215/55R17) on my '13 sport and just went through my first snow. They are great in the snow, however.... In everything else they are not so great, especially at highway speed (and I loved these on a Miata I had them on). I expected the road noise, but the feel the sidewall flex is substantial and the way it makes the car "float". If you are in the market and going to be doing a lot of interstate driving, I would look into another tire.....
That is a bummer to hear. I was considering them but crossed it off the list because I do 70+mi a day and had heard similar about it.

Jay

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It's certainly true the General's aren't performance type tires. I found they improved greatly after 3 - 4,000 miles. I was also initially disappointed in their dry road performance. They felt to me like they were sort of "squirmy". But that squirmy feel went away once I put some miles on them. I agree the sidewalls seem soft, but at least you get a nice soft ride as a side effect. The Arctic's do grip well in the snow.

·
4,339 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts