Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumper Automotive tire Trunk Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

I figured I would share with other forum members that it is in fact feasible to upgrade the existing 51R battery in the 2003 4 cylinder Accord to a 24F size. I bought a universal battery tray from Oreillys and two new, longer "J" bolts. I was able to reuse the existing top bracket by bending the metal tab in. There is no need to upgrade battery cables; the current draw is the same. There is simply more current available during high load/demand situations. I was having the typical slow crank with the battery light appearing on cold starts if the car sat outside for two plus days in the cold weather, without being driven. The alternator and starter were new. The old 51R battery, while only two years old and testing fine, was not cutting the mustard. My problem appears to have been fixed with the upgrade I will post an update as time goes on. For those who are interested, using a memory saver will not keep you from having to input the radio and navigation codes. I tried to avoid that since my upper LCD screen is burnt out, but to no avail. The memory saver kept the saved fuel trims and idle presets, but the radio appears to be on a different circuit than the three pins on the memory saver obdII connector.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
I bought the V5/35 battery box so it looks factory. The 35 battery is plenty for the 4cyl. Also, the V6 ground strap is a little more stout and not expensive, so I upgraded that as well.

Reactions: Accordable
1 - 4 of 4 Posts