Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up in Northern NY last week for a funeral (I generally don't go up there this time of year by choice) and one night it was -24F. I waited until about 11am to start my accord, when it was up to 7F. Hardest I've ever heard it start, glad I live in TN now where it never gets below zero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dejA4Sp4okQ&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
A daily struggle here in ND. I don't anticipate my battery making it more than a year.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
A daily struggle here in ND. I don't anticipate my battery making it more than a year.
@CM6: Cold actually lengthens your battery's life. True, it does make its power output (Cranking amps) weak during the cold, but can make your battery live another year or two.

Heat, on the other hand, allows the battery to crank out more power but shortens its life.

"Batteries self-discharge faster at higher temperatures. Lifespan can also be seriously reduced at higher temperatures - most manufacturers state this as a 50% loss in life for every 15 degrees F over a 77 degree cell temperature. Lifespan is increased at the same rate if below 77 degrees, but capacity is reduced. This tends to even out in most systems - they will spend part of their life at higher temperatures, and part at lower. Typical self discharge rates for flooded are 5% to 15% per month."

Source: http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html#Cycles vs Life

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Windchill nd it was -35 well unleas the news lies idk thn
Windchill does not affect your car. Only living organisms can feel, or be affected by, windchill. Drama queen weather reporters like to scare people, but really, who walks around without a shirt in this weather?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I love L.A

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Windchill does not affect your car. Only living organisms can feel, or be affected by, windchill. Drama queen weather reporters like to scare people, but really, who walks around without a shirt in this weather?
I don't have any scientific proof to back up my claim, but a month ago it went to about -20C here and I ended up having to park in an empty parking lot near the water where it was extremely windy and cold. When I got to my car the next day, the battery was dead. I'm wondering if I had kept my car in it's usual covered parking spot outside, although still cold but no wind to make it colder if the battery would have started in the morning.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
I don't have any scientific proof to back up my claim, but a month ago it went to about -20C here and I ended up having to park in an empty parking lot near the water where it was extremely windy and cold. When I got to my car the next day, the battery was dead. I'm wondering if I had kept my car in it's usual covered parking spot outside, although still cold but no wind to make it colder if the battery would have started in the morning.
Any meteorologist will tell you:

"The speed of cooling has different effects on inanimate objects and biological organisms. For inanimate objects, the effect of wind chill is to reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity. For most biological organisms, the physiological response is to maintain surface temperature in an acceptable range so as to avoid adverse effects. Thus, the attempt to maintain a given surface temperature in an environment of faster heat loss results in both the perception of lower temperatures and an actual greater heat loss increasing the risk of adverse effects."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill

·
Sunny California Living
84 Posts
When I was stationed in Alaska, we would regularly go through -20F in the winter. It can get a lot colder though, some days it would be -60F... If I recall correctly, the car wouldn't even read anything lower than -40F, someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Also plugging our cars in was a regular occurrence in the winter to keep the engine, battery, and oil from freezing. No more of that since I'm stationed in Turkey now!

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
My brother is stationed in Ankara right now....USAF. When he started out he was in Minot, ND and man, that was cold.

·
Sunny California Living
84 Posts
My brother is stationed in Ankara right now....USAF. When he started out he was in Minot, ND and man, that was cold.
Yeah I talked to a lot of people that were stationed in Minot AFB. I would hate to go there. Anyhow I'm in the Air Force too. I'm here at Incirlik AB. It's in Adana. Does he have a follow on?

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
He's a Colonel, C-130 J pilot, assigned at the embassy.

Back in the day he flew the B-52, and the stories and photos of them during those Minot winters were amazing. Excellent "lift" though- they told me they only needed half the runway length compared to the runway at Diego Garcia.

Thank you for your service, BTW. Were you able to bring the Accord to Turkey?

·
Sunny California Living
84 Posts
He's a Colonel, C-130 J pilot, assigned at the embassy.

Back in the day he flew the B-52, and the stories and photos of them during those Minot winters were amazing. Excellent "lift" though- they told me they only needed half the runway length compared to the runway at Diego Garcia.

Thank you for your service, BTW. Were you able to bring the Accord to Turkey?
No need to thank me, I appreciate it though. Wow a O-6, I know his pay is good. I'm just a little (S)Sgt Select lol. Yeah I shipped my car here, after the registrations fees, and all the paperwork, I'm driving it now. Driving is crazy here, but the Turkish people know how to drive. I call it organized chaos!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts