Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Going to take a bold assumption and say you are asking if you need a new alternator for a 2500W amp? And an even bolder assumption that your amp is not 2500W RMS? Then no.

·
08Coupe
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one 500 RMS amp two channel a A 500 W RMS four channel amp and another 500 W RMS two channel amp
So really that’s about 6000 watts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have one 500 RMS amp two channel a A 500 W RMS four channel amp and another 500 W RMS two channel amp
So really that’s about 6000 watts
That's 1500w total RMS, unless you mean 500RMS per channel? I can't imagine pushing 500 watts continuous through a single door speaker.

6000W RMS total for a car is insane unless you're doing competitions. If you're doing rocket launch impersonations from your car then yes, you probably need multiple new batteries and alternators.

·
Need some LSD...
100 Posts
1500Wrms/14V = 107A draw on your electrical system.

You need to find out what the stock alternator puts out, if it's say a 150A I think you will be ok..try it out see how it works...But really make sure you have adequate gauge wire that is crimped or terminated correctly, along with good grounds. Google "big 3 car audio"

·
Registered
241 Posts
1500Wrms/14V = 107A draw on your electrical system.

You need to find out what the stock alternator puts out, if it's say a 150A I think you will be ok..try it out see how it works...But really make sure you have adequate gauge wire that is crimped or terminated correctly, along with good grounds. Google "big 3 car audio"
1500Wrms is allegedly the output of his system, therefore the input would need to be between 2500-3000w for a typical 50-60% efficient class A/B amp.

·
08Coupe
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's 1500w total RMS, unless you mean 500RMS per channel? I can't imagine pushing 500 watts continuous through a single door speaker.

6000W RMS total for a car is insane unless you're doing competitions. If you're doing rocket launch impersonations from your car then yes, you probably need multiple new batteries and alternators.
ok found out it’s a total of 4000 w rms

I am getting an extra battery in the trunk just to be safe

·
Registered
241 Posts

I am getting an extra battery in the trunk just to be safe
4000WRMS from a class D amp would need, at most, 5130W maintained (78% minimum efficiency at high outputs). For a class A/B amp, that number would jump to 8000w maintained. That means , assuming your setup can maintain 13.7V, you are running 375 - 584 amps total.

If you have a mix of class A/B and D amps, then use the equations: Pin = Pout / Eff and I = P/V
Pin: input power (watts)
Pout: output power (watts)
Eff = % efficiency
I : current (amps)
P: power (watts)
V: potential (volts)

Worse case scenario (584A draw just for your sound system), you will need to up your alternator setup to match that, in addition to what your car already uses. You will most likely need 2 or 3 additional alternators, depending on what their output ratings are. They make extremely high outputs ones for big trucks, but I am not sure if or how those fit. I can only give you electrical advice on this stuff. The additional battery will help, but you cannot replace the need for alternators with batteries efficiently. If you need to run this system when the car is not running then you will need several batteries in your trunk. Batteries have amp hour ratings which, just as it sounds, tell you how long a battery can provide a certain current draw from a full a charge. 584 Ah worth of batteries will run your system at full blast for an hour, or 292 Ah of batteries for 30 minutes.

Here is an example from MTX where someone put a 4000WRMS system in their truck. They used 3 alternators and 2 batteries:

Don't forget about cabling!

Don't expect to run one power cable from your new alternator setup to your batteries, 1/0 awg might be the maximum you can go to get around all the bends from your engine bay to your trunk. Remember that when using the proper power distribution blocks, two cables can be used to handle one load. For example if you need 300 amps over 22 feet of cable, you could use one 2/0, two 1/0, 4 4-awg, and so on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts