Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always changed oil and used synthetic with OEM filters. At 16 years old and 252K miles my K24 was slinging oil from the crank pulley. After I removed the crank pulley my suspicion as confirmed and the rubber on the balancer had expanded to the point where it had rubbed a wear mark in the timing cover.

So I changed the front crank seal with a Honda OEM replacement and the old one was hard and brittle. Strange for being so well maintained. I guess I get to go back in soon and replace the main crank pulley since the rubber is now compromised. Anyone else have leaks from the front of the motor? Or rear at this mileage?

·
Registered
384 Posts
you replaced the crankshaft gasket on the pulley side you mean? I’ve only had a rear main seal leak crankshaft seal that goes into the trans start leaking but then stopped all of the sudden believe it or not. Someone told me at the dealer that it must’ve expanded with heat and sealed or something

·
Super Moderator
6,697 Posts
Be glad that the front crank seal lasted 16 years, that's actually awesome considering the age of these cars. It's rubber, it does not last forever, especially through thousands of heat cycles.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be glad that the front crank seal lasted 16 years, that's actually awesome considering the age of these cars. It's rubber, it does not last forever, especially through thousands of heat cycles.
Yeah I thought using synthetic oil and keeping it changed would prevent that from ever happening. Guess I should look at different oil now or maybe high mileage at an earlier mileage.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it hard to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt?
Good question. I did use the honda crank bolt tool. For the actual bolt I used a 3/4" drive breaker bar/extensions/socket. The 3/4" did not flex at all even with a cheater bar, so it did not seem as tight. Had I used 1/2" drive I think I would have perceived the bolt a lot tighter.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes, that's pretty good service for what is probably a spring loaded lip seal running on the steel of the crankshaft.

Historically, those elastomers were formulated to be compatible with "normal" petroleum oils, and synthetic oils shrunk the seal's rubber and allowed leaks. Early synthetic oils were formulated with seal swell chemicals to counter this shrinkage.

I've been of the opinion that elastomers have improved to the point that synthetics pose no shrinkage problems, especially with the spring loaded lip that pulls the seal onto the shaft.

It's also surprising to me that sometime the steel shaft wears more than the rubber seal.

Your leak may just be the cards dealt.

I've had many vintage Japanese air cooled hot-running motorcycles through my hands, and it always stuns me that 50 year old rubber seals are still supple. But these parts, especially now with cars a commodity, are made to a price point and not necessarily to a quality point.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing shrank, the seal just got brittle. I think I might just go back to a good synthetic blend. Motorcraft FTW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts