Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night. It was minus ten as I was coming home from work, car was completely cold. Started alright sat for a couple minutes to warm up. While moving, tried to shift into second after coasting down from third because of a stoplight that changed to green. Had a nasty grind that startled me so bad I just put it back in third and let the clutch out slow. I know the cold is the culprit, but have I done any damage to anything? Would double clutching prevent this in the future? Look forward to hearing from those more experienced than me.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Ive ground a few gears already, you should be fine. :) We all do it, any one who says they havent or dont is lieing. I have found that sometimes my rubber mat over the top of my stock mat shifts (I too suffer from 'Top Gear') and does not let the clutch go all the way and this is when it usually happens.

I also ground 5th pretty hard a few weeks ago. Car seems to be fine. But does not like to go 2nd -> 5th apparently...

Jay

·
Registered
480 Posts
It should be fine. Most people will accidentally grind a gear once in awhile. Instead of double-clutching, it might have helped to blip the throttle slightly on your way down to 2nd gear since you were downshifting. Matching the rpm to where it will be in the gear you're shifting into will always make for the easiest, smoothest shift.

I had a 350Z that was very notchy when cold and I got in the habit of double-clutching that first shift from 1st to 2nd in the morning. I still do that in my Accord almost every morning just out of habit and it does seem to make that first shift less notchy on a cold morning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't worry - everything is fine and everything will be fine. I've driven manuals for the past 6 years and grinding happens to everyone. My clutch is stiff in these -15 deg. temps which doesn't help.

I had a pretty good grind on 3-2 downshift today when a truck started merging into my lane (and another semi was tailgating me) and I wanted to get the duck out of dodge.

Reactions: calgary_6_6

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
We all do it, any one who says they havent or dont is lieing.
Ha ha, so true! I got one friend who still insists that the reason why he stalled the Accord leaving the parking lot is because "the spark plugs are going bad".

Grinding is not helpful but you would have to grind gears for months to really mess it up. Your Honda can take it- just don't do all the time.

·
been around the block
823 Posts
Ive ground a few gears already, you should be fine. :) We all do it, any one who says they havent or dont is lieing. I have found that sometimes my rubber mat over the top of my stock mat shifts (I too suffer from 'Top Gear') and does not let the clutch go all the way and this is when it usually happens.
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

If by any means the issue persists, hit up that dealer and let'em know

_Uncle Luc

·
Registered
274 Posts
Last night. It was minus ten as I was coming home from work, car was completely cold. Started alright sat for a couple minutes to warm up. While moving, tried to shift into second after coasting down from third because of a stoplight that changed to green. Had a nasty grind that startled me so bad I just put it back in third and let the clutch out slow. I know the cold is the culprit, but have I done any damage to anything? Would double clutching prevent this in the future? Look forward to hearing from those more experienced than me.
Just curious, how many miles is on the car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I've had the issue going into 3rd a few times when I'm shifting near redline. Makes me cringe and then I tell myself I will be more careful next time to make sure I don't snag it. Then a month or two later I'll forget and do it again.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
On the older generations lots of owners switched to GM Syncromesh as their manual transmission fluid. Smoother shifts, better lubrication in extreme heat/cold, etc.

My Dodge Stealth would "notch" and I would grind gears in Chicago's cold. After Syncromesh, I did the grind maybe just once a month in winter....

There is nothing "wrong" with your existing fluid.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I used syncromesh on one of my old Preludes. Good stuff but I'll reserve that for when I think I have a real issue.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
As long as you’re not using heavy force to push the gear lever into gear as it grinds, a “light” grind hurts nothing. The car can handle it. Don’t worry. We all do it.

I’m pretty sure Honda uses 5W-20 motor oil as their MT “fluid.” Even 5W oil is like molasses at -5°F. It also takes longer for the transmission fluid to heat than the engine oil. (The engine must first heat and then that heat must conduct from the engine to the transmission.) While that fluid is still super thick, the synchros will not do their job as easily. As mentioned, use a little more rpm to make shifts easier. The faster the input shaft spins, the more “windows” open per second for the synchros to slip into their space.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just an update, double clutching fixed the issue.

now that it's back up above 0 it shouldn't be too big of a problem anyway

·
Registered
428 Posts
No worries, seems common with Hondas. I had a 2005 Civic that had a notchy 1st to 2nd gear shift from the day it rolled off the assembly line. Upon complaining about it, the service tech told me not to shift too quickly as it does take a moment for the synchro to spin up. I ground gears a few times over the 8 years I drove it with no transmission issues. When I traded it for the Accord, it just clicked over 170K miles....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sometime I can't go into 1st unless I shift to 2nd first..
This is normal. Sometimes the teeth on the dog gear doesn't line up just right when the car stops rolling, which is why you sometimes have a hard time shifting into 1st or reverse from a stop. Just shift it into another gear, then select 1st or reverse. In doing this, the dog gear is lined up properly and you can select the gear you want. Just don't force it into gear! This can damage the shift cables or shift fork inside the transmission!

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is normal. Sometimes the teeth on the dog gear doesn't line up just right when the car stops rolling, which is why you sometimes have a hard time shifting into 1st or reverse from a stop. Just shift it into another gear, then select 1st or reverse. In doing this, the dog gear is lined up properly and you can select the gear you want. Just don't force it into gear! This can damage the shift cables or shift fork inside the transmission!
Yeah, I've gotten pretty used to it. I just do it now without thinking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2014 V6 6 speed has this issue as well. Trans/engine warm. Attempt a high rpm (6800) 1-2 shift and I'll get the occasional crunch/grind in 2nd gear only. I think that this is a Honda "thing"
not that I'm happy about it.

My 09 Si was even worse. It seems to happen less with traction control off. I've sent my dealer an email. Hopefully they will replace my 2nd gear synchro under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Integras did the occasional grind like that. They aren't the strongest synchros. I actually found that using 10w40 motor oil was the best thing available for the trans.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I dropped it off at Honda last night. Totally expecting the "tested OK, no problems with gear" line but I'm humoring myself. I wrote specific instructions for the tech to attempt a fast
shift from 1-2 at 6800 rpm. I'd say it happens 1 out of every 10-20 times.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts