Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking around at some mods and i am not sure what to get i already have a cold air intake. i would like to step it up some more and ive looked at some exhausts and turbos and other things but i just would like to know what other options i may be missing or over looked i would just like to get some other opinions on this :smile.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
:lurk:

·
8th Gen Believer
3,684 Posts
Do the scheduled maintenance b4 looking at mods. Especially the tranny.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i was looking around at some mods and i am not sure what to get i already have a cold air intake. i would like to step it up some more and ive looked at some exhausts and turbos and other things but i just would like to know what other options i may be missing or over looked i would just like to get some other opinions on this :smile.
The highest bang for the dollar: Index your spark plugs.
:wink

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Somewhere on this site, was a member with a 6-6 coupe that was really well done.

IIRC for 'power mods" he had an MDX intake manifold and TB, intake manifold spacer, 4" intake tubing, RV6 pipes, high flow cats, and a very large cat back exhaust. He may have also been running TL-S cams and bigger fuel injectors too ... he had to get it custom tuned obviously ... I don't remember if the dyno sheet was posted after his tune.

·
Registered
53 Posts
04 7th Gen coupe 6-6

If you want to mod it cheap with decent gains here are my mods. The whole purpose behind these mods was to help me learn mechanics and my way around this car in specific. With replacement Engine's running about 400 bucks and equipment to swap if ever necessary, kind of a hard car to ever get rid of!

Mods
-DNA motoring "front pipe/jpipe" (comes WITH pre-cat deletes!)-179 amazon. This one is worth EVERY penny, while you're at it just as well delete that third cat (this pipe bolts right onto the 3rd cat so I cut mine off and welded in a delete instead. You WILL need o2 sensor defoulers otherwise you will get engine lights and vtec will not work :( Careful which ones you get as some may not fit on the front delete as the motor mount is about 3inches away from the o2 sensor hole opening (I used a 90 degree elbow)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Intake manifold/throttle body

Somewhere on this site, was a member with a 6-6 coupe that was really well done.

IIRC for 'power mods" he had an MDX intake manifold and TB, intake manifold spacer, 4" intake tubing, RV6 pipes, high flow cats, and a very large cat back exhaust. He may have also been running TL-S cams and bigger fuel injectors too ... he had to get it custom tuned obviously ... I don't remember if the dyno sheet was posted after his tune.
3.5 MDX manifold bolts on, however the best bolt-on manifold for our car is going to be the j37 3.7 manifold, paired with the 80mm inlet 70mm outlet throttle body. Have also heard talk about a DTB (dual throttle body) custom manifold someone was selling for like 1000bucks that would make more power.

Attachments

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
There’s also the engine swap option. One of the nice things about J series is the low cost of these motors. For less than you would pay for a full exhaust system, you can buy a J32A3. This will give you a solid increase of 18HP and 21ft-lb of torque. And you don’t need to worry about the transmission. Pick and pull junkyards are littered with these motors. If you can find one in good condition, this is probably the most cost effective performance upgrade possible for a 7G V6. Engine importers also sell them pretty cheap, and with low miles.

Of course, a J35A8 will bring things close to 300HP. But the motor is more expensive. And you either have to change the bellhousing section of your transmission or just get the J35A8 transmission. But the cost of even this swap can still make it competitive considering what you could potentially spend trying to get more performance from your J30A4.

·
Registered
73 Posts
is that 18/21 at the crank or wheels?
At the crank. But it’s actually better than that. I was comparing the SAE ratings (258/233) of the 2006+ J32A3 with the non-SAE ratings of the 2005 J30A4 (240/212). It would be more fair to compare the J30A4 with the non-SAE ratings of the 2004-2005 (270/238). This would suggest a 30HP/26ft-lb increase at the crank.

·
ziptie princess
1,160 Posts
At the crank. But it’s actually better than that. I was comparing the SAE ratings (258/233) of the 2006+ J32A3 with the non-SAE ratings of the 2005 J30A4 (240/212). It would be more fair to compare the J30A4 with the non-SAE ratings of the 2004-2005 (270/238). This would suggest a 30HP/26ft-lb increase at the crank.
this seems like a lot of effort to still only make like 230 ground squirrels or whatever but what do i know

1 - 20 of 45 Posts