Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install a TurboCharger on a 3.5L V6 MT but having trouble finding turbos and other components that fit my car. Anyone know any Turbos, kits, companies, or setups that would work for a 2014 accord coupe. J35Y - vcm motor. 278HP(Crank) / 252 torque. Looking for something that’ll get me to 375-420 wheel HP & 330+ torque. Any information helps, thanks.

·
Turbo lag
1,513 Posts
Anyone know any Turbos, kits, companies, or setups that would work for a 2014 accord coupe. J35Y - vcm motor. 278HP(Crank) / 252 torque. Looking for something that’ll get me to 375-420 wheel HP & 330+ torque. Any information helps, thanks.
If you can't do the work yourself, you'd better off with a mustang or camero. Because it'll be cheaper with even more power potential. I'm almost right at that power figure and it is very difficult to put all that power down. Especially in a close ratio 6MT.

Reactions: FireKing3756

·
Registered
2014 EX-L accord coupe CVT (k24w1)
18 Posts
If you can't do the work yourself, you'd better off with a mustang or camero. Because it'll be cheaper with even more power potential. I'm almost right at that power figure and it is very difficult to put all that power down. Especially in a close ratio 6MT.

off topic but i see you have a turbocharged k24z mated to the 5at how is the automatic holding up? ive always heard the autos are nightmares

·
Turbo lag
1,513 Posts
off topic but i see you have a turbocharged k24z mated to the 5at how is the automatic holding up? ive always heard the autos are nightmares
It's doing pretty well. I have a dedicated cooler for the trans and I've been running one drain and fill for every 8-10k miles. The only thing is that the trans in D up shifts too early (like 5K even in heavy throttle). It's fine for day to day driving, but for more aggressive driving, I tend to use D3,2,1 to control the trans manually since the turbo doesn't fully spool until like 4K and the car makes power up until 7400rpm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's doing pretty well. I have a dedicated cooler for the trans and I've been running one drain and fill for every 8-10k miles. The only thing is that the trans in D up shifts too early (like 5K even in heavy throttle). It's fine for day to day driving, but for more aggressive driving, I tend to use D3,2,1 to control the trans manually since the turbo doesn't fully spool until like 4K and the car makes power up until 7400rpm.
interesting. good to hear tho. i feel like the shift issue could be due to tuning. id look into it. if you have any clips im definitely interested in seeing them

·
Turbo lag
1,513 Posts
interesting. good to hear tho. i feel like the shift issue could be due to tuning. id look into it. if you have any clips im definitely interested in seeing them
It is, people has been trying to tune the 5AT for years, but there's just no way around it. The car drives and shifts smoothly, so I really can't complain too much.
Ironically, for how proud I'm of this project, I don't actually have too many video. I'll try to remember to record some video this upcoming autocross season and put it on my build thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is, people has been trying to tune the 5AT for years, but there's just no way around it. The car drives and shifts smoothly, so I really can't complain too much.
Ironically, for how proud I'm of this project, I don't actually have too many video. I'll try to remember to record some video this upcoming autocross season and put it on my build thread.
good luck man, sick build hope the trans issues gets resolved

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do turn the wrenches myself with a buddy of mine that works for a shop. My cars pretty much prepped to be turbocharged. Fully straight piped minus a tune and some injectors. The tunes inevitable with the turbo but I may get one just to maximize the car’s potential with full bolt ons but I’m loooing to turbo it so I’m holding off a bit. So I don’t necessarily need a kit, I’m sure we could fabricate some piping if necessary. I more so just need some info on the best size turbo for a j35 and if I’m going to need a custom exhaust manifold. I’m not going to be pushing too much boost so I’m leaving the internals alone for now. I have the 6spd MT so I’m not stressing the trans too much. Just outta curiosity, what turbo are you running. But you have a K24 so it’s not something I could run anyway.

·
Turbo lag
1,513 Posts
I do turn the wrenches myself with a buddy of mine that works for a shop. My cars pretty much prepped to be turbocharged. Fully straight piped minus a tune and some injectors. The tunes inevitable with the turbo but I may get one just to maximize the car’s potential with full bolt ons but I’m loooing to turbo it so I’m holding off a bit. So I don’t necessarily need a kit, I’m sure we could fabricate some piping if necessary. I more so just need some info on the best size turbo for a j35 and if I’m going to need a custom exhaust manifold. I’m not going to be pushing too much boost so I’m leaving the internals alone for now. I have the 6spd MT so I’m not stressing the trans too much. Just outta curiosity, what turbo are you running. But you have a K24 so it’s not something I could run anyway.
Garrett GT3076R. I ran the MHI TD04L-14T initially, I think that would be a good turbo (two of them) for the V6 because it's readily availability and low cost. Or you can run a single large turbo. The GT3076R is actually big enough for the V6, you can expect a very quick spool with a fairly low rpm powerband. If you want to shift the power band to the upper rpms, something like a GTX3576R Gen II or G35-900 would work wonderfully.

Reactions: Moe_V6

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garrett GT3076R. I ran the MHI TD04L-14T initially, I think that would be a good turbo (two of them) for the V6 because it's readily availability and low cost. Or you can run a single large turbo. The GT3076R is actually big enough for the V6, you can expect a very quick spool with a fairly low rpm powerband. If you want to shift the power band to the upper rpms, something like a GTX3576R Gen II or G35-900 would work wonderfully.
Did you have to get a custom exhaust manifold made for the cars engine to turbo it?

·
Turbo lag
1,513 Posts
Did you have to get a custom exhaust manifold made for the cars engine to turbo it?
Yup. It's more of a manifold adapter since these motors has the manifold built into the head.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You may want to get on FB and join some of the "J" pages.... Lots of knowledge there! There's all kinda of turbo people ready to help......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts