Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from German cars of late Im used to servicing being expensive. I was in the pressure cooker that is the finance guy you see after you strike the deal with the sales guy. He offered me 3 years 36 miles servicing for $795. I said no and then he dropped to $595 pretty quickly. As I sat in the hot seat with only 30 seconds to decide, and no internet connection to research, I went for, Yes.

Let me guess, I got screwed and a V6 cost no where near that to service over 3 years?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes you got screwed major!
Why did i ask that question :mad:

How much out of pocket am I. I am not mechanically minded so I would do no work myself. The super quick calc i did in my head was 5-6 oil changes at about $50ish is $250-300 plus some filters plus some other random fluids and then just said yeah go on then.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,625 Posts
what does the service plan cover?

please give us more details, so that we can help you better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I have read people are getting oil changes twice a year and not 5-6 you refer to.
Twice a year for 3 years = 6 ???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Erm I assumed there was only plan. Oh god I really didnt do this well did I.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Found the document and it says:
  • Coverage for 3 years 36k miles
  • Provides routine maintenance
  • Oil and Filter changes
  • Tire Rotations
  • Multi-point Inspection
  • Air intake and cabin air filters
  • Automatic Transmission Fluid
  • Brake Fluid

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why did i ask that question :mad:

How much out of pocket am I. I am not mechanically minded so I would do no work myself. The super quick calc i did in my head was 5-6 oil changes at about $50ish is $250-300 plus some filters plus some other random fluids and then just said yeah go on then.
Honestly, as a rule of thumb for everything and not just car related things, if someone is rushing you to make a decision, they are trying to rip you off. They know if you actually had time to think and research, they would be screwed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Found the document and it says:
  • Coverage for 3 years 36k miles
  • Provides routine maintenance
  • Oil and Filter changes
  • Tire Rotations
  • Multi-point Inspection
  • Air intake and cabin air filters
  • Automatic Transmission Fluid
  • Brake Fluid
For reference, at least for us in CA, we can buy extended warranties and maintenance plans from Saccucci Honda. My email I got from them includes a price quote for the same plan for $715. If you bought an extended warranty from them, they knock off 200$. So for stand alone, its not bad at 595$

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Let's break it down:

- Coverage for 3 years 36k miles
Honda Warranty already covers bumper to bumper 3 years/36K miles

- Provides routine maintenance
Routine maintenance within the covered time period (3 years/36K miles) involve oil change, air filter change, and tire rotations, which are all listed below

- Oil and Filter changes
It takes 7.5K miles until I needed to change oil. So looks like you can take advantage of this 5-6 times max. Dealership usually charge 25-30 for a regular oil change. 6 x 30 = $180

- Tire Rotations
Every 5K miles. Not sure how much dealership charge, but Firestone has lifetime balance/rotation for 60 bux for 4 tires. $60

- Multi-point Inspection
Yeah ok. $0

- Air intake and cabin air filters
Every 15-20K miles. Cabin air filter cost 15-20. Same for air intake filter. 40 x 2 = $80

- Automatic Transmission Fluid
Depends on whether they will do 1x or 3x drain-and-refill. Absolutely NO FLUSH with Honda transmission. They will probably perform this at 30K. $80-100

- Brake Fluid
Need a flush with new fluid every 2-3 years. $80-100

180 + 60 + 80 + 100+ 100 = $520. So really, you still overpaid as this is a high estimate but at least you can have the peace of mind for the next 3 years. OP, you can save a lot of money if you can learn to do these services yourself. These are very simple procedures.

Cheers

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
If you consider everything, you probably didn't get screwed that bad. For whatever it's worth, the first service ("A") cost me $88 and the second service ("B") cost $110. Includes tire rotation, which they rape you on at my dealer. So, at MSRP, $200 per year. Maybe it's a lot cheaper elsewhere - I don't know. Then air filter, transmission fluid, etc on top of that. FWIW.

You can always ask to cancel the contract and get a refund. You should get every penny back, unless the dealer is only required to issue a prorated refund (but you should get close to 100% back either way). Look at the contract - might be silent on this point in a "contract' made up by a dealer though. Argue loudly and make a scene on the showroom floor if you must. :)

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
is this car a lease?!? that would determine if you got screwed or not because you don't need any fluid change or flush or whatever in 3 years and even if you do its a lease

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I always decline anything but the car itself, because oil changes and whatnot cost them pretty much nothing to do.

Just call Honda customer service and say that you weren't happy with your experience because of the pressure to buy a service contract afterwards. Next day you'll get a call from the dealer refunding it.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
OP if you don't want to keep the maintenance plan on the vehicle, I'm sure you can cancel it within 30 days. Read the fine print.

Oil changes are $35 each at the 3 local area Honda dealers in my area. Even Firestone charges $30 now for oil changes. Brake and trans flushes are $100-150 each, the filters are $20 each but this doesn't include any labor (the OP said he's not mechanically inclined and therefore would probably want someone to install these filters).

All in all, he didn't get that bad of a deal IMO.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Coming from German cars of late Im used to servicing being expensive. I was in the pressure cooker that is the finance guy you see after you strike the deal with the sales guy. He offered me 3 years 36 miles servicing for $795. I said no and then he dropped to $595 pretty quickly. As I sat in the hot seat with only 30 seconds to decide, and no internet connection to research, I went for, Yes.

Let me guess, I got screwed and a V6 cost no where near that to service over 3 years?
I know this is a really hot topic with people here. There's one camp that says do everything yourself and save a lot of money. I get that and I'm not against anyone who does it that way. But there's the other camp of people (like me) who go to the same dealership for 10 years for all of their service and are okay with paying the extra money that entails.

I actually think there's a bit more that happens every 5K miles than an oil change (especially at the 15K and 30K mile services) so I bought a similar contract myself for $618 and it covers a total of six services (one every 5K miles up to and including the 30K mile service). If you price these six services out at the dealer, it's well over $618 (the 30K service alone is over $400).

Again, I know I pay probably double or more when compared to what it would cost me to do it myself but one of the concerns I have is if there's ever a warranty issue (and I did buy an 8 yr/120K mile extended warranty) and you do all the maintenance yourself, you have to be very certain that you document exactly what you did. You also have to keep receipts for what you did. Otherwise, Honda can just say you didn't do the required maintenance on the car and that's why it broke down...so we're not fixing it for you under the warranty because you didn't hold up your side of the bargain.

I think for anyone who goes to the same dealer 100% of the time for service, these maintenance plans make sense. You've already decided in your mind that you're going to pay the dealer to service the car, so why not buy the plan and save some money? But I completely understand and respect people who want to pay less money and do the maintenance themselves. Just make sure that you save all of your receipts and document exactly what you did on the car and when you did it in the event there's a warranty issue down the road and you have to produce records of your maintenance. :thmsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know this is a really hot topic with people here. There's one camp that says do everything yourself and save a lot of money. I get that and I'm not against anyone who does it that way. But there's the other camp of people (like me) who go to the same dealership for 10 years for all of their service and are okay with paying the extra money that entails.

I actually think there's a bit more that happens every 5K miles than an oil change (especially at the 15K and 30K mile services) so I bought a similar contract myself for $618 and it covers a total of six services (one every 5K miles up to and including the 30K mile service). If you price these six services out at the dealer, it's well over $618 (the 30K service alone is over $400).

Again, I know I pay probably double or more when compared to what it would cost me to do it myself but one of the concerns I have is if there's ever a warranty issue (and I did buy an 8 yr/120K mile extended warranty) and you do all the maintenance yourself, you have to be very certain that you document exactly what you did. You also have to keep receipts for what you did. Otherwise, Honda can just say you didn't do the required maintenance on the car and that's why it broke down...so we're not fixing it for you under the warranty because you didn't hold up your side of the bargain.

I think for anyone who goes to the same dealer 100% of the time for service, these maintenance plans make sense. You've already decided in your mind that you're going to pay the dealer to service the car, so why not buy the plan and save some money? But I completely understand and respect people who want to pay less money and do the maintenance themselves. Just make sure that you save all of your receipts and document exactly what you did on the car and when you did it in the event there's a warranty issue down the road and you have to produce records of your maintenance. :thmsup:
Good advice Steve...but the dealership made a lot of money on the OP, if he doesn't drive the car 12-15,000 miles a year. I have about 6,000 miles after almost a year, did the first oil change in August (lots of short trips) and I now have about 80% oil life. Other than the oil change, nothing else has been done to the car. In my deal, got 2 years oil changes and other "Inspections" free, plus for being such a good customer of the service dept, they gave me a free tire rotation when I need it. So maybe I pay for 1-2 air and cabin filters, and a oil change in the 3rd year ($30 while-u-wait), doesn't add up to $595 for me....

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Good advice Steve...but the dealership made a lot of money on the OP, if he doesn't drive the car 12-15,000 miles a year. I have about 6,000 miles after almost a year, did the first oil change in August (lots of short trips) and I now have about 80% oil life. Other than the oil change, nothing else has been done to the car. In my deal, got 2 years oil changes and other "Inspections" free, plus for being such a good customer of the service dept, they gave me a free tire rotation when I need it. So maybe I pay for 1-2 air and cabin filters, and a oil change in the 3rd year ($30 while-u-wait), doesn't add up to $595 for me....
True, true...everyone's situation is different in terms of how much they drive. In my case, I drive about 11K-12K miles every year and I don't actually have to bring it in every 5,000 miles. I purchased 6 "services" so if the first service isn't until 7,000, for example, it's still covered by the plan. It's whenever the car's maintenance minder says it's time for service is when I bring it in and it's covered (up to 6 services).

I'm okay paying what I did for my plan because I'm going to take it to the dealer for service anyway. And the plan doesn't end at 30K miles...it ends at the 6th service.

It sounds like you got a great deal from your dealer. I got free safety and emissions inspections for life from my dealer but no car washes or free oil changes. :dunno:

·
Banned
308 Posts
True dat......very true

My wife and I probably drive our cars 5000-7000 miles per YEAR. So we wouldn't even get up into all that "30,000 mile service is expensive" stuff. To me you are LOCKING INTO doing the work at one specific dealer, you are LOCKING INTO not being able to do the work yourself when you, like me, get adventurous one spring day and decide to try changing the oil yourself and figure out that it is easy as pie. And you are PREPAYING for all this without a real substantial savings potential on the upside. It's kinda like buying stuff solely because you get a $10 rebate. The dealer is banking on 1) the $575 or whatever will totally cover any conceivable service cost you'd call under this mileage time period, so there is no risk of loss to them 2) some percentage of the buyers will drive MUCH LESS than they think, so they will end up getting 2 or 3 oil changes and pay $575 for the privilege 3) some percentage of the buyers will move to a different city or town, and therefore will not be coming back to collect on those promises.

Every single person on this forum can and should be able to change their own engine air filter AND cabin air filter. I'm sorry but there is nobody I know that is so mechanically inept that they can't do that. It really takes like 3-5 minutes, and the filters are easily purchased at Amazon, WalMart, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc etc. As to the oil and ATF changes, I totally get it that only a smaller subset of people want to do this. Still, when you can get an oil change done at the dealer for you for $20-30 when you look for coupons, it's hard to get the numbers to add up to $575. And even if they DID ADD UP TO AROUND $575, then what BENEFIT did you get? You took a lot of risk that you wouldn't use it, and in the end maybe you collect back all the money you prepaid. In the meantime you locked yourself into a single dealer for service even if you think the dealer isn't doing a good job, you risked the things above that you wouldn't end up using it all, etc. There should be an UPSIDE for you for making this bet. The true value of reasonable use of the benefits by a normal person should be at least $800 for one to even CONSIDER prepaying $600.......if I told you let's make a bet and there is a chance you'll lose $400 and a chance you'll gain $200.....would you be all over that bet?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts