Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm currently at 30% oil level, I haven't changed my oil yet and I'm at 5,700 miles. I'm going to make a road trip next weekend to Reno, NV from San Francisco, CA. Do you think I should change my oil level before or after? It's going to be about a total of 500 miles total round trip.

Thank you !

2013 Honda Accord V6 Sedan

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
IF your car just hit 30% at 5700mi then in theory you should not hit 0% until 8,142mi.

15% should come on near 6,921mi. The call is yours.

Jay

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it be bad to change the oil now? I know that most people are saying wait until 10-15% because the initial oil you're given is important. I don't mind an oil change before but want to make sure I'm not risking that benefit in the oil when I first got the car.

Thanks for the quick reply :D !

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Absolutely not. If it just changed to 30%, it will probably still be at that percentage when you get back to SF. More than likely though, it will be at 20% when you get home. Leave the break-in oil in and let it do its job.

·
4,339 Posts
Would it be bad to change the oil now? I know that most people are saying wait until 10-15% because the initial oil you're given is important. I don't mind an oil change before but want to make sure I'm not risking that benefit in the oil when I first got the car.

Thanks for the quick reply :D !
IMO you would just be wasting oil to change it now. Highway mileage is very easy on an engine and oil. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jay

·
Registered
884 Posts
You're good. Just wait :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I was in somewhat the same situation before my 3,000+ round trip to CO in September. Didn't want to go past 0% and didn't want to have it changed on the road. I did the math and figured I'd be good to wait until I got back. When I did get back it wasn't even at 15% but did change to it shortly thereafter. Just do the math.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the reply! I hit 30% maybe a week ago however, I'm assuming that if my indicator goes down to 20% during the drive to Reno I should still be ok (this does include some local driving in Reno as well going from hotel to snow resorts)? Thanks again, you all are extremely helpful !! :thmsup:

·
4,339 Posts
Thanks for all the reply! I hit 30% maybe a week ago however, I'm assuming that if my indicator goes down to 20% during the drive to Reno I should still be ok (this does include some local driving in Reno as well going from hotel to snow resorts)? Thanks again, you all are extremely helpful !! :thmsup:
You will be more than fine. I'm driving on oil that's been at 10% for 3 days. Lol

Jay

·
Registered
190 Posts
Road trips mean lots of highway miles. You will be fine. I bet your MM isn't even at 20% when you're back home.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Please be rational, the engine is not going to explode or anything if you go past 15% or even 0% (I know, I tried that one unintentionally) on the MM. The oil (you are due for service "A" so no filter change) won't abruptly break down exactly at 15%. You can wait until you get back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A few hundred miles, even on "spent" oil will not do much harm. Highway miles are the least demanding of the engine and its oil.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Your MM can even get to 0% and nothing will happen. Wait until you return home unless you just like throwing money away. :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm at 80% with 1,000 miles on the clock. Car is new, but it's starting to get cold out in the Philly area. I've heard regardless of mileage on the oil you should at least change it seasonally...you guys think once we get in the steady 30's/40's F that I should change the oil regardless?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My oil changes are included till 3y or 36000 and after my first oilchange at 5700miles 15% I just keep bringing it every 3000-3500 after the dealer called me to remind me days later of my 6000 or 6month oil change!!

·
4,339 Posts
I'm at 80% with 1,000 miles on the clock. Car is new, but it's starting to get cold out in the Philly area. I've heard regardless of mileage on the oil you should at least change it seasonally...you guys think once we get in the steady 30's/40's F that I should change the oil regardless?
Do not change it. Drive until at least 15%.

Jay

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm sure that your accord can make it ;)

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I turned 15% at 6800 miles you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts