Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having my 2013 Accord Sport for almost 5 months now and I was wondering why everytime I hit 3000 rpm the car suddenly gets louder, I know some of you may say "because you're at a higher Rpm" or something but I want to know why it does it.

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
So I've been having my 2013 Accord Sport for almost 5 months now and I was wondering why everytime I hit 3000 rpm the car suddenly gets louder, I know some of you may say "because you're at a higher Rpm" or something but I want to know why it does it.
VTEC doesn't kick in til 5200 RPM.....even with my exhaust mods i don't notice a particular change over outside of higher revs ......i could give you a bs convoluted answer but i am not sure what you're hearing, outside higher revs :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
VTec kicking in? Although not usually at that low RPMs.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Because your engine is spinning faster

·
Banned
72 Posts
Does it sound like a 'hack hack hack' as it ratchets up and goes thru 3000- 5000 rpm? That's the sound of the I4 engine. It's all over the cabin and why people supposedly step up to a V6 although quite frankly, I hear a hushed and more subdued version but mines goes vrooooooom and not hack hack hack as well but it's not as loud and doesn't pierce my ear drum all-encompassingly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Im wondering too...the engine becomes considerably louder at 3500 rpm.. so its not the vtec. I also feel a surge in power. Our 8th gen does the same thing.

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
My 09 i4 Accord did the same thing if I stepped on it, and so does my '13 V6. Keeping the car between 3-5000 RPM doesn't net those results, but the second you step on it, it happens. I find it far more prominent in my V6 due to the extra power though. If I'm in 2nd gear and begin accelerating hard, nothing dramatic happens until I hit 5000 RPM and the VTEC kicks in. If I step on it over 3000 RPM in second though, the engine roars immediately and it's time for 3rd before you even know it. Same applies in 3rd too, in the V6 :wink:.
I'm not sure what it is, either. It acts just the way the VTEC kick does, but it doesn't make much sense for it to be that. It even gives you that great cold air intake resonance that you only ever get when the VTEC kicks in.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
3000-4000 rpm: evil growl
5000: takeoff

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think after 3k RPM the fuel saving thing turns off, which makes your engine sound louder...did you try with green mode and then with out?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If you have a CVT, it is the transmission.
If you have a manual, it is something that I don't know.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
What's wrong with the answer you guessed? Higher RPM! Every engine that I have ever had in a car, lawn mower, airplane (piston or turbine) gets louder when you increase the RPM. Inside each cylinder gasoline is being exploded to extract the energy that produces the force of motion at the front wheels. As the RPM increases there are mechanical increase of volume of the sounds from the valve train, crank shaft and the transmission. Also, the exhaust note will increase as the speed and volume of exhaust gas is forced through the muffler. If you think there is something wrong with your car, then take it to the dealer and have them drive it and diagnose the sound.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I know what the OP is talking about. I have heard it myself since day one and I don't think it's anything bad. I think that Honda engineers tuned the car to be uber quiet under 3,000 rpm for NHV but over 3,000 that all goes by the wayside. It's not bad, Honda makes some of the best sounding 4cyls going. Something definitely changes at around 3,000 when it comes to sound.

Our Pacifica had a tonal shift around 3800 RPM but that was because it shifted the intake from the Long tube runners for low end torque to short tube intake runners for high RPM HP.

I don't think our 2.4Ls do that.

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts