Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got 30,000 miles on my 2015 V6 and the maintenance minder has not come on to remind of transmission fluid change. Should I wait for it or go ahead and drain and refill the fluid? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
I’ve got 30,000 miles on my 2015 V6 and the maintenance minder has not come on to remind of transmission fluid change. Should I wait for it or go ahead and drain and refill the fluid? Thanks.
It won't come on at 30K.

It's your choice..but I change mine every 30K.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,647 Posts
I don't use MM, for this and other reasons. Like 2Accords I change at 30k intervals.

Reactions: longhornaccord

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
993 Posts
30k is the most I'd use Honda ATF for. IMO the MM is not that great. I pretty much only use it for oil changes, none of the other stuff. You will find some "Maintenance Minder nazis" on this forum that insist on following the MM religiously, but I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maintaince minder for transmission service goes by milage only, becasue when you drive in severe conditions you have to change it every 25k. Severe driving conditions normally shortan service intervals by 50%

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought of one more question. I looked this up in my owner’s manual but can’t find it under maintenance, capacities or transmission. What is the quantity of ATF fluid I should buy at the Honda dealer? Thanks

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Thought of one more question. I looked this up in my owner’s manual but can’t find it under maintenance, capacities or transmission. What is the quantity of ATF fluid I should buy at the Honda dealer? Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Before I had my cvt fluid changed at 50k Miles and 2 years old, I stuck a plain chopstick down the fill hole and the fluid looked like yellow fluid and very clean. The new stuff looked the same so if it looks anything diffrent than clean and new it tells me it's really old or worn out with abuse like high revs all the time.
Just my experience with my 17 LX

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Sorry, one more question. Should the car be driven a bit so the transmission fluid is hot or warm before draining it or should I drain/change it cold? Thanks!
Can depend on the outside temp. Some here warm up the trans. a little as the fluid drains out more easily. Others drain it out cold (outside temp. is warm), measure how much came out then replace that amount.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can depend on the outside temp. Some here warm up the trans. a little as the fluid drains out more easily. Others drain it out cold (outside temp. is warm), measure how much came out then replace that amount.
Thanks. I’m in the south so the temps are already very warm. But I may drive the car just a mile or two right before changing the fluid to get it slightly warm.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay I just did my first trans fluid change. Did find a few black shavings on the magnetic part of the drain plug. Mine took a refill of 3 full quarts and 16 ounces of the fourth quart bottle. So I have a little left over if I need to add any more. Don’t have a torque wrench so I put the bolt and new washer on it and tightened it pretty tight with the ratchet. After I clean up I’m going to drive the car to see how it does. I’ll report back then.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KW2004Accord. I drove the car after changing the fluid and it drives fine. But I think I added about 8 ounces too much of the fluid. The specified capacity is 3.3 quarts and I made a mistake and put the extra 8 ounces in. Will this hurt the transmission? Do I need to remove the extra 8 ounces? If so, can I just loosen the drain bolt a little to let a small bit of the fluid trickle out? Thanks for any advice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts