Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Have you looked at the dipstick if it has one?
Thanks. Yes, I just looked at the dipstick and the engine is cold (has not been run for 16 hours) and on the cold side of the stick the fluid level is almost an inch higher than the upper hole.
Turning the dipstick over and looking at the “Hot” side (even though the engine is cold), the fluid is almost a half inch above the upper hole mark. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
30k is the most I'd use Honda ATF for. IMO the MM is not that great. I pretty much only use it for oil changes, none of the other stuff. You will find some "Maintenance Minder nazis" on this forum that insist on following the MM religiously, but I'm not one of them.
I don't follow Honda engineers recommendations religiously, but since they are professional engineers and know the product better than any one on this august forum...

The MM algorithm (for oil) looks at 5 parameters: air intake temperature, air intake volume, engine coolant temperature, vehicle speed and RPM. That is a pretty good set of data to determine the "strain" on the engine and the oil.

Not sure what the MM algo is for the trans., there may be more/different inputs. But it comes to the same thing: the wear on the trans fluid is determined by how the car is run and in what conditions.

... to that note on my prior Accord I went at least 100,000 km before changing. Not a recommendation mind you. I've vowed to treat this Accord better. After all the prior one only went 300K+ km and 16 years - have to do better this time.

And a quibble on English: I don't get how you got from "Maintenance Minder nazis" to "following the MM religiously" but I'm willing to entertain your reasoning. :geek:

Reactions: longhornaccord

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Okay, I just siphoned off almost 8 ounces and oddly enough the dipstick shows the same level. Oh well, I have some extra brand new fluid if I ever need to add any.

I seem to recall one checks the tran level with the engine running. Is that the case with Hondas? Is that how you did it?\\

If you over siphoned the car will feel "slippy" on taking off from a low speed.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
983 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks AlanBeast and mtts60. I checked it with engine cold, but according to my calculations I overfilled it by 8 ounces so I removed that amount. I do have extra new fluid that I can add if needed. Tomorrow after I drive it I’ll check it with engine warm/hot.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts