Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to buy either an 06 or an 07 Accord coupe.I'd like to hear some differing opinions on which has the least motor/overall problems. Anybody out there currently own both? Or have you had both in the past? I have been driving a civic EX for the past few years,so gas mileage is somewhat important to me but NOT the overall deciding factor.I'm ready for a little nicer ride than the civic,I'm going to test drive the 4 and 6 cyl. cars this week probably,and both will have manual tranny's. I look forward to hearing some of your advice.
Bob

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
07 sedan, V6, manual here. Great car. Pretty fast. Smooth engine with adequate low end torque. Excellent highway mileage. Hard to find good one used. May be pricey. Some 6-speed manuals have a 3rd gear synchro problem with a TSB. Some feel the slave cylinder contributes to an inaccurate clutch feel. I totally love the car. If you have the extra bucks, buy it.

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
Drive my friends V6 all the time. Definitely makes me jealous performance wise. I will never to able to keep up with him, the power on that thing compared to the I4 is just ohhh soooo niiiiicceeee!

IMO this is where I beat him though, I get around 35+ MPG on my 4 banger compared to his 23-25 MPG. I get the nod there, I also beat him in maintenance (like I said this is just my opinion) but I feel it's a lot easier to maintain the I4 than the V6 (I mean, not having to change the timing belt because we a timing chain is fun, easier access to change spark plugs, taking apart the motor and putting it back together.... ect. all that good stuff)

The choice is yours, can't go wrong either way! the I4 has plenty enough power to get your around, and there are guys on here with their V6s and getting like 28-30mpg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 15-25% in fuel you save isn't worth it. You will save (depending on how much you drive) $20-$40 per month and lose 80hp. It really is a personal choice. Gas or Horsepower? I just bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 for dirt cheap with a bad transmission and just had it fixed. Love the car and is a blast to drive! I personally don't like the low power of a 4cy. but my advice is go with the V6.

·
out of control
2,302 Posts
I have owned both a 4cyl automatic and now a v6 manual and it's day and night. Nightmarcher made a good point. The 4cyl gets great gas mileage while the v6 will pull you back in your seat at the cost of MPG. In my 4cyl, I averaged 30-32 and now in my v6 manual I average 26-28.

Since you are getting a manual, I would recommend getting the 4cyl since it's a little quicker than it's auto counterpart and it's better on gas as well. The maintenance is easier and cheaper on the 4cyl. The v6 manual is a rare car on the other hand so it is all on your preference.

Either way, both are upgrades to your EX civic. Good luck and let us know what you get!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
This next statement has been made by others before. If you're not flooring the 6-6, the I4 5-spd manual is actually more entertaining to drive. First, with noticeably less weight over the front wheels, I think the I4-5spd manual steers and handles better than the 6-6. Second, around town in my 6-6 I'm usually limited to driving with just 1/3 throttle and 3,000 rpm shift points. To be candid, that gets a little boring. I've driven several I4-5spd manuals and found that I need to use more rpm for daily driving. That extra rpm makes the I4 more engaging which in turn makes daily driving more enjoyable. And by the way, the I4 5-spd only needs about 7.5 seconds to reach 60 mph. Although it is not in the sub six-second range to 60 mph like the 6-6, it is far from slow.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It really is a personal choice. the I4 is the easier car to maintain, mainly because there is no timing belt to replace. Depending on the mileage though, you could get one that's just had its TB/water pump service and get away with another 100k of driving before having to worry about that again.

I don't know about the I4, but the V6 6-speed also had the 3rd gear synchro issue. Many people have found using GM synchromesh fluid to be an adequate band-aid with no problems.

I4 is obviously slower and easier on gas. You won't get a big jerk in your back when you step on the gas. But IMO it's more than adequate for around-town driving, and still fun to rev.

Have you found the cars you're going to test drive? V6 6-speeds are pretty hard to find. Actually manual Accords in general are pretty rare.

The V6 6-speed coupe has some neat upgrades though. It's got a front strut bar, stiffer springs, and I think more aggressive seats.

Good luck with your decision!

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
This question has come up before. Probably comes up once every other month :) Do a search too, you'll get similar opinions :)

IMHO test drive both. If you are use to driving a V6's then get the 6, but if you are coming from a 4 get the I4. Honda makes one of the best 4 bangers in the game!

Oh there are more Honda branded mods for the V6 like the HFP suspension and such.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Which car is best for you, ultimately, is up to your personal preferences and wallet.
Having owned a 7th gen I4 for going on 5 and a half years or so, I can tell you that the car is perfectly competent and excellent. The 4 is all the acceleration you really need and delivers great fuel economy. As an enthusiast who has owned a few cars with more power, I'm never truly disappointed by my Honda I4. That said, there are times when I wish I had chosen to get the V6. Having never owned a Honda before, I wasn't sure if I would care that much - the truth is, I'm VERY satisfied by the 4 because it does have a lot of punch and the car is very balanced and responsive. Looking back, I'd have probably enjoyed the extra muscle of the V6 and might have chosen to get that car if the price was right. The 6 is definitely sportier and quicker, but there is always a price - decreased fuel economy. That said, the V6 is a remarkably efficient vehicle with a smooth powertrain.
No one can tell you what you'd like better, but if you are anything like me, you should be sure to test drive a V6 model AND an I4. I only test drove the I4 models and found them to be just fine - not as quick as what I was getting out of, but not underpowered or lazy feeling.
Drive them both and see what you think. Both engines are remarkably good and whatever the choice, you are sure to be very happy with the Accord. This is my first Honda and I tell people all the time that I'm a believer now. They drive great, look great, get good mileage, and have a high resale value. The truth is, you really can't go wrong. A properly driven I4 can be as much fun as the 6, but it'll never be as quick.
Good luck and let us know what you've chosen.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Like everybody else said:

V6 you will be surprised how darn quick they are, a modern V6 like this with a 6-speed hauls as much as a V8 used to not that long ago. Good mpg too

4-cyl 5-speed is more than decent power, great mpg, and should last forever

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
When your Dad sees the insurance difference it may be four cylinder only :deal:. It will cost less to maintain than the V-6 in the long run.

EDIT: This reply was meant for another thread! I apologize for being stupid and for being so good at it :yes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
When your Dad sees the insurance difference it may be four cylinder only :deal:. It will cost less to maintain than the V-6 in the long run.
Average price different when I was getting my car insured yesterday...(Geico, Progressive, State Farm and All State) was about a $3.00 a month difference...going from a 4cy to a 6cy isn't going to skyrocket your rates.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Average price different when I was getting my car insured yesterday...(Geico, Progressive, State Farm and All State) was about a $3.00 a month difference...going from a 4cy to a 6cy isn't going to skyrocket your rates.
Is the age group a factor in this minimal pricing difference?

·
Banned
294 Posts
I am currently looking to buy either an 06 or an 07 Accord coupe.I'd like to hear some differing opinions on which has the least motor/overall problems. Anybody out there currently own both? Or have you had both in the past? I have been driving a civic EX for the past few years,so gas mileage is somewhat important to me but NOT the overall deciding factor.I'm ready for a little nicer ride than the civic,I'm going to test drive the 4 and 6 cyl. cars this week probably,and both will have manual tranny's. I look forward to hearing some of your advice.
Bob
With Honda, you win with either 4cyl and V6 because it is a Honda. I just want to say that quite frankly, if you are really concerned about gas mileage, you should actually consider a Toyota Camry because it is a frugal 4cyl and if you are looking for power then a Nissan specializes in that. Honda is somewhere in the middle of those extremes although the 4cyl can challenge a Toyota Camry, I do not think it would get better gas mileage due to vtec but anything is possible if you over-maintain it.

I will tell you that I bought a 4 cyl but found the combo of lower gas mileage(7.5 gen) and road noise and engine noise was too much and I traded it in a week later for a V6. With the V6, you do hear the engine but it's not as overly obtrusive as the engine noise the 4 cyl produces. The 4 cyl, atleast for the 7th gen, was powerful enough for me coming out of a 96 non vtec integra (140 hp?) but I bought the V6 for its potential and it delivered once I got the right fluids in it. Hope I help the best.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting an Accord if you're concerned about fuel economy. I don't know the exact numbers, but I bet you a 4-cyl Accord and 4-cyl Camry get about the same gas mileage. I find my Accord a little bit more fun to drive though. Fuel economy doesn't mean sacrificing other things.

You realize that the K24 in our cars have i-VTEC, which is actually THE reason for it's good fuel economy, not the other way around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the age group a factor in this minimal pricing difference?
Age always dramtically effects prices...but 80hp isnt going to make your rates skyrocket like someone was saying...im 19, had my license for a year so far and I pay $125 per month with progressive (car and policy all under my name). $100,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 property/car, comprehensive and theft etc...basically full coverage with a $500 deductable and $0 on comp. Get a plan that fits the car and you...lol if it is a 2003 Honda you don't need crazy coverage on a $8500 car...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
O.K. guys I test drove an 07 4 cyl. 5 speed today and thought it had plenty of pep.I plan on driving a 6 cyl. 6 speed later on this week.I really liked the I-4, had more pick -up than I expected. As for buying a Camry,I won't but a 4 door car,thus Nissan is pretty much out too,unless it would be a 2 door Altima ,which will be more Jack than I'm willing to pay.I currently have 2 Honda civics and 2 Toyota's ALL 2 doors.2004 Solara-wifes car,94 2-door Camry-sons car,01 civic-daughters car,which used to be my car.has 195,000 miles and doesn't leak a drop of oil or burn ANY either.On the other hand my current ride an 06 civic EX with 49,000 miles,uses a quart of oil every 1,000 miles,currently has a bad motor mount,had an oil sensor/solenoid go bad 3 months ago,rear tires wear unevenly,and am already on the 3rd set of brake pads for both front and rear.I'm fixing the motor mount and getting rid of it.Worst Honda I've ever owned.I had a 1990 accord years ago,sold it with 150,000 miles to a guy I know ,he's still driving it today with well over 200,000 on it now.So.... I'm going back to an Accord.Which one I haven't decided yet,but will soon.Thanks for all the comments,based upon some of your comments,I like the least amount of maintenance/trouble and most of you have recommended the I-4 for that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Test drove both 4 and 6 cyl '07 automatics about a month ago. I thought both drove nicely. Obviously, the 6 is a more powerful car and drove with confidence. The 4, though, is no slouch, but doesn't have that low-end torque like the 6 has and it's is more economical. We ended up going with an '08 4 cyl. accord, because we got a great deal on that model at the end of the year and with gas prices expected to rise, we decided that the 4 would be best for my wife's long daily commute. We have an '08 Odyssey as our family vehicle and the 3.5 is a pretty awesome powerplant. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong and good that you are testing them to find out what works for you.

Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Age always dramtically effects prices...but 80hp isnt going to make your rates skyrocket like someone was saying...im 19, had my license for a year so far and I pay $125 per month with progressive (car and policy all under my name). $100,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 property/car, comprehensive and theft etc...basically full coverage with a $500 deductable and $0 on comp. Get a plan that fits the car and you...lol if it is a 2003 Honda you don't need crazy coverage on a $8500 car...
$100,000 for bodily injury coverage? That seems really really low... especially for the states and the horror stories I hear about people getting sued down in the states.. I think up here in Canada 1 mill is the minimum you can get, some offer 500k but honestly, I don't think 100,000 is enough?

As everyone said it is up to you and your wallet. Both cars have trade offs. The only thing which I would consider for myself, if I was to buy another accord would be the tuning options. I am pretty sure there are more cost effective tuning options available for the i4. The v6 you are pretty much stuck with a NA motor. Custom applications will set you back at least 5-10k for FI. I guess its another thing you can consider.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
^ That is assuming he plans to go FI on his DD Accord, haha... but overall I think you're right, there are more modifications available for the I4

1 - 20 of 69 Posts