Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’ve been driving 4 cylinder Accords for 20 years. My current one is an ’04 sedan and I love this car but I’m starting the get the itch to trade it for something newer and a coupe. I won’t drive an auto, and therein lies the problem. The 2008-2010s are in my price range but I’m having a VERY hard time finding any 4 cylinder ones with a manual transmission.
This is causing me to start to consider a 6 cylinder as it seems there are more of those with the 6 speed manual available used. The long term reliability of the 4 CYL is outstanding…the 6 CYL is an unknown for me and I’m hesitant to make the switch.

Any words of advice / wisdom for me?
Thank you.
Regards,
Mark.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well I have never driven a 4 cylinder Accord, but I have driven 4 cylinder cars in the past. That being said I just purchased an 2012 Coupe V6, and it is a FUN car to drive. I am sure you would seriously enjoy it.

In terms of reliability hopefully someone else can chime in as this is my first Honda, and it only has 20k miles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Although I am not speaking from experience as I have a 4 cylinder but I would assume the reliability would be the same for the v6 . At the end of the day it is still a Honda and it really just comes down to how you treat your car. Keep us posted

·
08 Accord 5spd
37 Posts
I've test driven both and have a 4cyl...In short, get the V6.

Why? Because the gas mileage isn't that much of a difference between the two. I was set on buying a v6 a few months ago but wasn't able to find a good one at the time price and mileage wise. I only bought my 4cyl because it was a good price, low miles, was certified pre-owned and had everything i wanted but the 6cyl engine. I've noticed that my gas mileage isn't great in the city, but it seems to do really well on the highway.

Just my thoughts. My next car will at least be a v6 lol. With that being said, I still love my car especially since it's a 5 speed. if you can get the v6 then go for it!

·
@milmast
957 Posts
I have a 4 cylinder coupe that is stick and I love the car. The one thing I sometimes wish i had, was the v6 because not only does it have more power, but it has a 6 speed transmission, along with the little extras; chrome door handles, dual exhaust, fog lights, bigger 18" rims with lower profile tires, and a drop in suspension. I've spent some money on my 4 cylinder on things like the chrome door handles, H&R lowering springs, and fog lights to simply equip it with the same stuff the v6 has.
If you have the opportunity to get the V6, you should jump on it. You won't be disappointed

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
I love my V6 coupe... Best car I've ever owned (though my '89 Acura Legend 5 speed is a close second)! V6 6-speeds are a little hard to find but they don't cost all that much more than comparable I4 versions, and you do get quite a few other features standard.

Judging by the mpg posts on these forums the gas mileage is about the same or in some cases even better for some reason. I get about 22mpg combined with a pretty heavy foot. Even 9 months after I bought mine it's still a blast to drive!

·
Banned
438 Posts
V6 brand new is overpriced.
With that amount of money you can purchase a used acura tl all day long.

Used V6 makes more sense.
Stick anything is always more fun.

Check out autotrader.com and test drive a few to compare.
Don't settle for auto.

My personal opinion.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
V6 brand new is overpriced.
With that amount of money you can purchase a used acura tl all day long.

Used V6 makes more sense.
Stick anything is always more fun.

Check out autotrader.com and test drive a few to compare.
Don't settle for auto.

My personal opinion.
I agree with this personal opinion - although to me, the comparison vehicles to the new Accord V6-6 price are Certified pre-owned BMW 335i, new Genesis Coupe 3.8, or new 5.0 Mustang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much everyeon for the great replies.
Pretty well overwhelmingly in favor of the V6...and I don't hear of any reliability issues with the V6. I'll do some more snooping.

I'm in Canada but certainly don't mind buying accross the border to save some $$ if anyone has any leads on a V6 6 speed for sale. (Under $20k)

Regards,
Mark.

·
Banned
438 Posts
I agree with this personal opinion - although to me, the comparison vehicles to the new Accord V6-6 price are Certified pre-owned BMW 335i, new Genesis Coupe 3.8, or new 5.0 Mustang.
Agree.
The only non Honda or acura car I would even consider , is the mustang with the new body style plus the engine, I think is a good deal.
Ford is actually one of the few car makers that will ship you a complete engine swap from factory at different performance levels. Nice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a i4, and I love it. I mainly do city driving, and I am getting 22mpg. It is what i needed. Don't buy something you don't need. If you just want to get to point a to point b, get the i4. It will do that, and it is cheaper. If you want power, get another car. You will be disappointed with the power and how little mod the Accord has. If you want something different, get a hyundai genesis coupe 2.0t. Get a SFR 1.5 tune, and you will easily push more power than the v6 accord coupe.

·
2008 Accord Coupe EX
999 Posts
Im also thinking of trading my 08 coupe, i tested the 13' V6 coupe auto, if i decide to trade V6 is a must for me coming from an i4, i have only owned i4 cars in the past.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I never test drove a V6, but from the auto I4 (which is less powerful at the wheels than the MT I4) it really gets the job done. I'd only consider the V6 if I lived in a place with aggressive/crowded drivers (more power can make navigating aggressive traffic easier) or if I did a lot of 2 lane highway driving where the i4 runs lacks high speed go juice needed for passing.

·
Automagic V6 Coupe
17 Posts
I bought my car not too long ago and searched within couple hundred miles. I test drove a couple i4 and was very pleased with them. I was getting ready to purchase the i4 model but decided to check out a V6 two hours away from my place. After driving the V6 I could not go back to the i4. ECO mode on the V6 makes you feel less guilty about gas too. :thmsup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
i test drove an i4 at first as that's what i was looking at, but once i drove it, i couldnt ever see myself buying it. I drove a V6 and was sold instantly...

·
2012 Coupe V6 with Navi
193 Posts
I just came from a vacation and put up more than 2000 miles of road trip and some of them are very hilly...i'm glad that I have a V6...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 6-6...love it...drove the wifee's tsx (2007, auto) yesterday and it felt slow...very slow.

I also just installed the SRI by Takeda....wow. Nice and chill when I want to be...and pure awesomeness when I jump on the gas. Now I'm already looking to do more...probably because the Takeda was a huge success.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The I4 sedan auto has been a great family car for me but it's boring. It's my daily driver and I appreciate the fuel savings but its boring. I like it's reliability but its boring. It has a nice and exciting engine sound but its boring. I could keep on going praising the I4 engine but in the end it's boring.

If I was in the market for a coupe (practicality be damn) I would get the V6. You don't want a boring coupe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts