Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
301 - 316 of 316 Posts

· Blinded by the light
1,758 Posts
Hi guys,
Hopefully this isn't stealing thread, but if I do, I am sorry. I will create new one
I recently bought the acura tl 4g projector off of ebay and the rest of the kits including the clear lens from TRS, but I am running into questions. The tick marks on the tsx clear lens isn't line up, but it will fit fine. The cutoff without spacer is out of focus comparing the the original lens.

Based on the pictures I included, I am not sure which side is left or right, and how come my cutoff is so blurry with the tsx clear lens? If i space it out around 3-4 spacers, the cutoff line become sharper. Did I bought the wrong part? The bottom left picture, the top cutoff line is the tsx lens with 3-4 spacers, and next to it is the original lens.
I think there should be a LH and RH on the shield. Remember that when the light goes through the lens it's flipped upside down. I'm guessing the idea of the extra large portion of the shield is to throw light to the left and right of the car. So in your first picture I think the one on the left would go in your right headlight. Try to place it closer to a wall to get a better idea of what that extra portion of the cutoff shield does.

· mobiless2
2,201 Posts
Hi guys,
Hopefully this isn't stealing thread, but if I do, I am sorry. I will create new one
I recently bought the acura tl 4g projector off of ebay and the rest of the kits including the clear lens from TRS, but I am running into questions. The tick marks on the tsx clear lens isn't line up, but it will fit fine. The cutoff without spacer is out of focus comparing the the original lens.

Based on the pictures I included, I am not sure which side is left or right, and how come my cutoff is so blurry with the tsx clear lens? If i space it out around 3-4 spacers, the cutoff line become sharper. Did I bought the wrong part? The bottom left picture, the top cutoff line is the tsx lens with 3-4 spacers, and next to it is the original lens.
If I remember correctly, I added 2 or 3 small washer to space it & I curved shield in slightly toward bulb to get color and sharpness

· Registered
38 Posts
But why this clear lense require to space it out to get a clean cut? Comparing to the stock lens, I have to add 3-4 washer to get a better cut. This lead to a gap from the lens holder and the bowl/housing?, would this be safe in the long run? I tried to turn the the lens just a bit, no help at all. The clear lens have two tick marks on the opposite ends, should this be install at certain angle? Or did I got a bad lens?
Nayr14, you mentioned the left projector should go to the right side. On the second picture, I noticed both of the cutoff step (?) are the same angle, and they are set up the same as the first picture you see (hopefully that makes some sense, engrish isnt my best lol). I can't seem to see the different =(

I will try to play around with the spacers and get some more better pictures. I just need to figure out how to use a computer psu to power up the ballast lol. Would it be safe to use a computer psu to power up these hid?

· Blinded by the light
1,758 Posts
But why this clear lense require to space it out to get a clean cut? Comparing to the stock lens, I have to add 3-4 washer to get a better cut. This lead to a gap from the lens holder and the bowl/housing?, would this be safe in the long run? I tried to turn the the lens just a bit, no help at all. The clear lens have two tick marks on the opposite ends, should this be install at certain angle? Or did I got a bad lens?
Nayr14, you mentioned the left projector should go to the right side. On the second picture, I noticed both of the cutoff step (?) are the same angle, and they are set up the same as the first picture you see (hopefully that makes some sense, engrish isnt my best lol). I can't seem to see the different =(

I will try to play around with the spacers and get some more better pictures. I just need to figure out how to use a computer psu to power up the ballast lol. Would it be safe to use a computer psu to power up these hid?
Yes they are both the same step, but there might be a difference between the light below the cutoff due to how the shield is shaped.

· Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Nayr14. I looked carefully again and I do see the shield have labeled LH RH. I cannot snap some pictures with me playing around with the spacing, but I do notice with the clear lens, I have to space the shield further out, maybe half an inch to get a better focus step, but still have a blurry rainbow to the left. With the original lens, I can just add 2-3 washer and leave the shield alone, I get a cleaner step with some blue flicker. Not sure now if I just leave the original lens in and forget the clear lens :/

Mobiless2, when you curve the shield, do you curve both the top and bottom of the gap or the whole shield in toward the bulb?

· Registered
287 Posts
No...

Real OEM 4G TL projectors are very hard to find now. Think about how many non-Jewel Eye 4G TL have been on the street and how many have totaled.

TRS used to sell them but they have become bi-xenon TL-R now. Replica of which only the mount points are preserved. Nothing else resemble a TL projector. However, I think, OEM is still better.

· Just here for the food
1,876 Posts
TSX-R clear lens:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=135

Unless you meant something different by the "tsxr reflectors".

In my experience, TRS shipped everything separately. I'm sure if you asked them they would oblige to install the clear lens for you before shipping, but I would suggest calling them to specifically request that because email requests tend to be "forgotten". Even still, installing them on yourself is incredibly easy and pretty self explanatory if need be.

For me, I shipped all my pieces to greenkouki unassembled, in one box. The effort required to perform the custom shield mod would have him disassemble your projector to get to the shield anyway, so it would be just as easy for him to slip the TSX-R lens right in before putting it all back together. He's a nice guy and does great work, so definitely reach out to him. :thmsup:
dumb question tho, if i buy the TL projectors and the TSX-R lens, would i still be good? based on the photos of the stock TL projector and the TL projector with the TSX-R lens, i definitely want to do the lens upgrade but i don't "need" custom cutoff shields, do i?

· Registered
379 Posts
dumb question tho, if i buy the TL projectors and the TSX-R lens, would i still be good? based on the photos of the stock TL projector and the TL projector with the TSX-R lens, i definitely want to do the lens upgrade but i don't "need" custom cutoff shields, do i?
Nope, you are good as it stands. I sent my projectors out to someone who did some custom work for me, to allow the the projectors to do both low and high beams (bi-xenon), which is why the cutoff shield had to be modified. The stock 4th gen TL projector is normally low beam only. But this was over 5 years ago.

Since then, TRS has released a Retro-Quik kit for the 9th gen Accord that already allows bi-xenon functionality (with their TL replica projector), right out of the box - and for less money too:

Just add whatever you need (ballast, bulbs, wires, etc.), plus the TSX-R clean lens separately, and you should be all set.

Reactions: teezythakidd

· Just here for the food
1,876 Posts
Nope, you are good as it stands. I sent my projectors out to someone who did some custom work for me, to allow the the projectors to do both low and high beams (bi-xenon), which is why the cutoff shield had to be modified. The stock 4th gen TL projector is normally low beam only. But this was over 5 years ago.

Since then, TRS has released a Retro-Quik kit for the 9th gen Accord that already allows bi-xenon functionality (with their TL replica projector), right out of the box - and for less money too:

Just add whatever you need (ballast, bulbs, wires, etc.), plus the TSX-R clean lens separately, and you should be all set.
Well, I’ll be darned. Thanks! I did see the retro-quik on there but had no idea they were bixenon as I was under the assumption they weren’t since only the 3rd gens are(?). Good to know tho, I may request a late birthday present to the Mrs... LOL

· Registered
379 Posts
Well, I’ll be darned. Thanks! I did see the retro-quik on there but had no idea they were bixenon as I was under the assumption they weren’t since only the 3rd gens are(?). Good to know tho, I may request a late birthday present to the Mrs... LOL
Yeah, at first their Retro-Quik kit had OEM 4th gen TL projectors, but I'm sure supply dried up pretty quickly, so they had to do their own replica version to meet the demand. I'd like to think my mod may have inspired their decision to make them bi-xenon... ;) but who knows. Just let the Mrs know you're doing it for her night-time safety. :)

Reactions: teezythakidd

· Registered
1,860 Posts
i believe that the TL-R comes with a clear lens already installed, so you won't need the TSX-R's.

From what I understand, the 4G TL-R outperforms the OEM 4G TL (even tuned with a clear lens) but the trade-off is that the OEM 4G TL projector is bit easier to retrofit. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

· Registered
23 Posts
i am wondering if anyone here has bought OEM accord headlights to open up and retro instead of opening up their factory lights? are the projectors inside the OEM lights the same as factory? id rather not mod my stock lights if i could help it. 15 EXL for reference, thanks!

· Just here for the food
1,876 Posts
i am wondering if anyone here has bought OEM accord headlights to open up and retro instead of opening up their factory lights? are the projectors inside the OEM lights the same as factory? id rather not mod my stock lights if i could help it. 15 EXL for reference, thanks!
I did a retro on stock lights and bought a new pair to redo it all over again and threw my stock ones out. Totally worth it.

All 2013+ Accords at least have halogen projectors. So unless you want a backup set, just mod your current lights.

· Registered
23 Posts
I did a retro on stock lights and bought a new pair to redo it all over again and threw my stock ones out. Totally worth it.

All 2013+ Accords at least have halogen projectors. So unless you want a backup set, just mod your current lights.
i want to be able to just throw the stock honda ones back in for when i sell/trade the car. some people like knowing its a completely stock/factory car when its being traded or bought.

but you say the aftermarket lights you got were the same bolt-in projector for the retrofit?

thanks

P.S. there's always a chance ill mess something up too lol

301 - 316 of 316 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.