Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 316 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
No that's fine. I PM'ed the link because I didn't want to spam the OP with my own thread.
Ah very true. I edited my post in hopes that Gearhead doesn't mind as well. I can remove it if anything.

· Registered
15 Posts
Nice! Looks like you beat me to the punch, lol. :thmsup: I'll be interested to see your results with the MDX projectors. If they turn out to be the same, I may just end up cancelling my TRS order instead and opting for an alternative like those MDX's. My order got pushed back yet another week, and I am growing really impatient at this point. :nuts:
I just picked up my Accord and have been e-mailing with TRS about their kit and was about to place my order. If you don't mind me asking, what has the wait time been? Not in a huge rush, but I'm going to be off work for the holidays and was looking to do this before I have to go back.

· Registered
379 Posts
I just picked up my Accord and have been e-mailing with TRS about their kit and was about to place my order. If you don't mind me asking, what has the wait time been? Not in a huge rush, but I'm going to be off work for the holidays and was looking to do this before I have to go back.
I placed my order on Black Friday, and the last email I have received from them said that they are hoping the projectors will be in to ship out some time mid or late this week. With the snow storm that has swept across this country, I'm not sure if this will incur further delays. I have the same holiday time off as you do, and it is getting awfully close to not making it in time. :(

My suggestion would be to call them and ask to see how many TL projectors they have coming in; and that they are not all going to be used to fill special orders. If there is a small surplus, then you should be good to go.

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I placed my order on Black Friday, and the last email I have received from them said that they are hoping the projectors will be in to ship out some time mid or late this week. With the snow storm that has swept across this country, I'm not sure if this will incur further delays. I have the same holiday time off as you do, and it is getting awfully close to not making it in time. :(

My suggestion would be to call them and ask to see how many TL projectors they have coming in; and that they are not all going to be used to fill special orders. If there is a small surplus, then you should be good to go.
This was the response I got from TRS last Friday, which is why I decided to pull the trigger on the ebay ones.

"You're correct, we're currently back ordered on those projectors unfortunately we don't have a timeline on those are OEM parts are hit or miss."

· Registered
15 Posts
This was the response I got from TRS last Friday, which is why I decided to pull the trigger on the ebay ones.

"You're correct, we're currently back ordered on those projectors unfortunately we don't have a timeline on those are OEM parts are hit or miss."
I just gave them a call as well and got pretty much them same response. Estimated time frame would be a little longer for me as TRS has a backorder list for them. I'm probably still going to order them and wait. While I wait I can look to see if I can find the TL projectors somewhere for a good deal.

· Registered
379 Posts
I just gave them a call as well and got pretty much them same response. Estimated time frame would be a little longer for me as TRS has a backorder list for them. I'm probably still going to order them and wait. While I wait I can look to see if I can find the TL projectors somewhere for a good deal.
That's really the best move you can make now. And LatinCT is right, the HID Planet forum is a good place to get decent discounts as well, although, it has been a little sparse as of late.

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
New Toys!

FlexFire LED strips came in today. http://www.flexfireleds.com/bright-white-high-intensity-ultrabright-led-flex-strip-light/

Cheap Amazon strip:

FlexFire strip:

It's tough to get accurate pics of the light output but needless to say the Flexfire ones are much brighter. Look at the light they cast on the towel. They are probably twice as bright as the cheap ones, which aren't exactly dim themselves. Flexfire is very close to pure white too. More good news, they seem to run cooler than the cheap ones too! Neither of them radiate a lot of heat so I'm not concerned about them being in an enclosed space. But the back of the strip gets pretty warm. After about 30 minutes the cheap ones read about 140F and the Flexfire ones are about 130F. I think these are probably about the best out there right now and probably what I'll use for DRL.

I also received my ebay DRL harness here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360394234323?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I tested it out real quick and it works! The light I connected it to came on immediately after starting the car and shut off about 2 seconds after I turned the car off. For those who don't know, these have a relay that's triggered at a specific voltage. A running car puts out a couple more volts than a non-running car because of the alternator output. These are designed to turn on with the higher voltage and turn back off when the voltage drops (shutting off the car).

· Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Gearhead82 for doing this project and posting up the pics. Going to be a help when it's time to do mine.

Also, I personally like the FlexFire strip better than the Amazon one.

· ?????
241 Posts
looks like i will be ordering those flex fire strips today! thanks for the pics.

I notice you said you placed 2 strips of the cheap amazon strips on the headlights, on the flex fire its only 1 strip correct?

and if at all possible, can you get a picture of the flex fire leds out in direct sunlight?

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
looks like i will be ordering those flex fire strips today! thanks for the pics.

I notice you said you placed 2 strips of the cheap amazon strips on the headlights, on the flex fire its only 1 strip correct?

and if at all possible, can you get a picture of the flex fire leds out in direct sunlight?
In those comparison pics there is only 1 strip inside for both the Amazon and Flexfire strips.

It's dark when I get home from work and a sunny day is pretty rare this time of year. If there's sun this weekend I'll try to get a pic.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I liked the TL projectors so much I got a pair. In a 2010 TL Tech package. :)

The wife's TL, my EX next to it.
Nice, don't forget that grill doubles as a can opener if you get stranded on your way back from walmart :)

· ?????
241 Posts
In those comparison pics there is only 1 strip inside for both the Amazon and Flexfire strips.

It's dark when I get home from work and a sunny day is pretty rare this time of year. If there's sun this weekend I'll try to get a pic.
Good looking out, take your time.
From your experience, do you think the strips will fit through the socket without cutting / baking open the headlights to insert? if the strips are too wide i may purchase these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-thin-...x-SMD-LED-STRIP-Ribbon-Flexible-/370792475822

only 5mm in width compared to 10mm of the flex fire. I'm not planning on baking open my headlights and also would like to avoid cutting anything if possible. What do you think?

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Both of the ones I used fit easily through the socket hole. Once through the hole there's quite a bit of space for them to move around though, so be warned they might want to move around in there and not sit at exactly the right spot. You won't have much control over where they sit unless you do what one of the other members did and adhere them to a metal strip that gives them some rigidity.

· ?????
241 Posts
Both of the ones I used fit easily through the socket hole. Once through the hole there's quite a bit of space for them to move around though, so be warned they might want to move around in there and not sit at exactly the right spot. You won't have much control over where they sit unless you do what one of the other members did and adhere them to a metal strip that gives them some rigidity.
yeah.. that was my main concern,, I'm not sure how I'm gonna get them to sit in the middle of the strip.. its gonna be a mission.

· loving the V6 growl :D
567 Posts
better late than never.. :D

yeah the 4G TL doesn't come often in TRS readily available projectors. I remember the same thing (long WAIIIITTTTTT) happened to me when I did my ODyssey..

Anyhow, I got my TL projector off ebay.. What I did was I kept on watching some of the damages headlight of the TL. Once the bidding is almost expire I e-mailed the seller that I only want the projectors.. LOL.. this actually saved me money..

OP, MDX is totally different projector.. BUt it has nice(r) bluer cut-off when replaced the lenses with 'black series lens'.. (if you are into colorful cut-off)

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
OP, MDX is totally different projector.. BUt it has nice(r) bluer cut-off when replaced the lenses with 'black series lens'.. (if you are into colorful cut-off)

The ebay seller must have listed them wrong then because these look the same as the TL ones. Or maybe the 2014 MDX uses these? I don't know, but here they are.

Accord Halogen on left. TL/MDX (?) middle and right.

The lens holders and lenses seem identical to the Accord Halogen projector. The bowls are shaped different. They've got those funky L/R specific cutoff shields too. I'm actually trying to see if I can find someone to make me some custom cutoff shields for them. I'm waiting for some D2S adapters in the mail so I can test the output.

· loving the V6 growl :D
567 Posts
2nd pic, left side is a halogen projector.

yes! those looks like a TL and yeah its side specific projector! thats why it will look wider (output) compared to other projector

yes again, make a customs shield so its even better!!

· Registered
379 Posts
Yeah, those are identical to the 4th gen TL's. The 2014 MDX is now using LED's same as the RLX, so these belong to the 2nd gen (2007-2013) MDX.

This is great news, as it does open up the searchable possibilities on eBay, including the Toyota Avalon, which also has similar projectors as well, if memory serves me right.

21 - 40 of 316 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.