Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello members,

Disclaimer - I'm a newbie and not very mechanically knowledgable.
I bought my first and current car (the Accord) 1 1/2 years ago with 171xxx miles on it.
The clutch had been replaced 7 months before my purchase. But clearly, the pilot bearing was not replaced.

I have now driven the car for around 18k miles since my purchase and the throw out bearing has been whining on it since at least 12k miles.
Granted, I learned to drive with this car. But I haven't been very rough with the clutch.

The whine has increased significantly and my ex-mechanic friend recommends that I have it replaced - or risk being stranded with a more expensive repair.
I can upload/link to a video of the cringe-worthy bearing whine if needed.

1. What does honda call the "pilot bearing" and the other listed parts officially?
I went to the recommended websites for honda parts but couldnt find all the parts.

2. Since I moved to Houston, I haven't managed to find a decent mechanic/transmission shop. Can y'all recommend a reliable shop for the repair?

Your input is much appreciated!

· Roll Tide!
7,684 Posts
But clearly, the pilot bearing was not replaced.
How do you know the pilot bearing was not replaced two years ago?

Recommend you spend the extra couple hundred bucks and have a dealer do it. Shop around for prices as each dealer will likely charge a different price for the same exact job.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How do you know the pilot bearing was not replaced two years ago?

Recommend you spend the extra couple hundred bucks and have a dealer do it. Shop around for prices as each dealer will likely charge a different price for the same exact job.
I don't know for sure that the pilot bearing wasn't replaced.
But I am assuming the life of the bearing is more than 18k miles...

The closest dealer is charging around $500+$300 (5 hours labor+parts).
Problem is, I don't know which dealer/mechanic in Houston is trustworthy and wont charge me excessively for labor, or for parts I don't need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.