Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm looking at bringing my 16 year old daughter into the Accord family, as we have both an 04 EX sedan and an 09 EX-L sedan. I found a '96 LX sedan, I-4, with 150K. Body is in very good shape with none of the typical rust around the back wheel wells. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in this generation?

I took a short test drive in it and everything looked, sounded, and felt like it should. Also, I did notice that the temp gage and fuel gage were not working. Is that a common issue, and/or easy to fix? The forum's thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Check the auto transmission fluid and quality of shifts. They can get jerky on hard acceleration.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
We have a '95 EX (original owners) and it runs like new. But the A/C has always been "underpowered" for this car. Not sure which country or state you are in, but if it's southern Texas....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohio, here. I appreciate both your and Ex-Rrrr's thoughts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Original owner of a 95 EX coupe. Make sure timing belt has been changed. Get service records if possible. 200k mi on mine, no major issues. I've replaced radiator and some suspension parts (control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings). Also had the CPU go bad at around 160k mi (replaced with used one for $100) but I've heard that is a very rare problem. Agree with the AC issue, had to have the evap/dryer replaced a few years ago. I've replaced the lock actuator on the drivers door (pain to do but did it myself) and put new rotors on the front. Typical stuff for 18yrs and 200k mi of daily use (except maybe for the CPU issue). Also check for oil leaks. Distributor O-rings and V-tech solenoid gasket tend to go bad around this age (recently replaced both on mine). If all that stuff is good, you've got another 150k mi left in it easy. Keeping mine til the wheels stop turning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts