Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 EX-L Coupe with the 6 cd changer in the dash (radio code 7BY0) that I bought (used) almost 2 years ago. When I picked it up, I put 2 newly burned cds in and the 2nd one started playing and I drove away. After a while I figured out that this one cd will play in any of the 6 slots, but no other cd (burned or brand new) will play in any slot. I know there are a lot of issues with the cd changers, but this sounds a little weirder than what I've read in the forums. I just bought an mp3 player hookup, but I would like the cd changer to work. What are the options for fixing it cheaply? I saw something on eBay where you take the radio out and send it to someone and they fix it and send it back, but I'm a little skeptical about that. Can I take the changer out and take it to an electronics/repair place? Try and find a junkyard unit? Has anyone done any of these or know someone who can repair it? I live on Long Island and work in Manhattan.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
I have a 2003 EX-L Coupe with the 6 cd changer in the dash (radio code 7BY0) that I bought (used) almost 2 years ago. When I picked it up, I put 2 newly burned cds in and the 2nd one started playing and I drove away. After a while I figured out that this one cd will play in any of the 6 slots, but no other cd (burned or brand new) will play in any slot. I know there are a lot of issues with the cd changers, but this sounds a little weirder than what I've read in the forums. I just bought an mp3 player hookup, but I would like the cd changer to work. What are the options for fixing it cheaply? I saw something on eBay where you take the radio out and send it to someone and they fix it and send it back, but I'm a little skeptical about that. Can I take the changer out and take it to an electronics/repair place? Try and find a junkyard unit? Has anyone done any of these or know someone who can repair it? I live on Long Island and work in Manhattan.
Did you buy the car used two years ago, or the stereo used two years ago? What do you mean any other CD won't play? Do you get an error message, does it sound like the mechanism won't load the disc? Your best solution is to contact OEMCarAudio on eBay. They sell the CD/Tuner cores for about $250 and you can swap it with yours. They sometimes offer cash on returning your old core. I have purchased from them before and they are reliable. The stacker changers are notorious for failing, by any manufacturer. In my case, I got the 8-CD External Changer brand-new on eBay for $49 (I got very lucky!). It uses the magazine changer, which is far more reliable than the stackers.

·
4,574 Posts
I believe there's a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the 03 CD changers. The dealership should fix this, although I am not sure if there's a time frame on when you can take it in. I would hope not, maybe others can chime in.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1292&d=1106847777
The TSB mentions out of warranty repairs would require goodwill approval. Since the '03 is now 7 years old, that looks very unlikely. But you never know, every dealer is different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the car two years ago. The cd player will accept the cds, try and read them and spit them back out. Except the one cd that plays fine. I've had no luck with the dealer. My brother works closely with one and he said the parts guy would keep an eye out if they get one they can swap for me, but no luck yet.

·
4,574 Posts
I bought the car two years ago. The cd player will accept the cds, try and read them and spit them back out. Except the one cd that plays fine. I've had no luck with the dealer. My brother works closely with one and he said the parts guy would keep an eye out if they get one they can swap for me, but no luck yet.
Store purchased CDs don't play either? Have you tried a few of them? Wonder if the lens is dirty. So the track number never appears and the disc is ejected before an error message appears on the display?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts