Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum here. I'm currently thinking about buying a new 2014 accord sedan (lx) and am really getting hung up on the transmission options. My local dealer has a 6 speed for just over 20k and a CVT for 21k. My MAIN goal here would be getting better gas mileage as I'm currently getting 18mpg in my 4runner and driving almost 30k miles a year for work. I do 95% highway driving with absolutely zero traffic (Central NH) so I'm not worried about 30 miles of bumper to bumper.

I see the CVT is rated 36 on the highway while the MT is rated for 34. I drove both and can see why. On a level cruise @ 70 the cvt is at about 2k rpm and the MT is closer to 2500. This may not be true though on the uphill. I have read tons of reviews on both cars and it seems that if one tries, getting closer to 40 is possible. My question is whether anyone thinks it's possible to match or exceed the CVT's mileage with the 6 speed even though the CVT can ride a little lower in RPM. I haven't been able to find any articles on this specific topic but if anyone is aware of them please let me know.

Another issue I have is with reliability of the CVT. I see that his been covered in much detail already and am not that concerned as not much shifting will be happening at 65mph+. Still, any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all of your input.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hi, and Welcome to the forum! You are asking a question that is a hot topic here. We have members who would not buy any kind of automatic transmission and they love to stir the gearbox. They will tell you that there is nothing like a manual transmission. Then there are the CVT owners who have had some issues with their transmissions and they will throw rocks at any mention of the CVT. They are a small but vocal minority. I along with many others love the CVT transmission and have had no problems. The reason for the better gas milage is that the CVT finds the best engine RPM for the best economy and performance among an infinite number of gear ratios. When operated in the Sport mode the CVT imitates a seven speed transmission. The Coupe version and the Sport version has paddle shifters that allow you to manually shift the sudo gears as the transmission imitates having seven speeds. My personal opinion is that Honda has a lot riding on the CVT and they will and have made it right for owners who have brought the car to the dealer exhibiting problems. As for longevity, no one really knows for sure and if you are concerned you can buy Honda's extended warrantee. I didn't because I am betting that if major defects appear Honda will stand behind their product as they did by replacing my 2000 Accord transmission for free at 93,000 miles and four years beyond the normal warrantee expiration date.

Manual transmissions are not without their own issues. I have owned two Hondas with manual transmissions and everyone has had issues with synchronizing rings on second gear down shifts. Of course clutches wear out and have to be replaced depending on how you drive the car. No one can decide for you which to buy. Good luck!

·
Registered
535 Posts
It's all about how you drive it. I can beat the EPA figures for the cvt in my 6mt. I also can go fast when I want to.

·
Banned
784 Posts
I have a new 2014 accord sport 6mt, and I love it! I can surpass the hwy mpg rating in city driving, so dont worry about 2 mpgs on the sticker. I never even considered a cvt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
CVT is very smooth. I heard CVIC CVT is even better than Accord's CVT. Honda 5 speed MT was not all that great either when I had 97 Cvic Si. 2nd and 3rd synchros can bite you regardless how you drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the info everyone. Does anyone have any definitive Highway figures for their 13/14 accords that I could use for comparison?

One of the other reasons and might decide this, albeit small, is the color of the MT. It's a lighter exterior and darker interior. The CVT is just the opposite and, while not bad, I prefer the Manual Transmissions colors.

On another note, anyone running snow tires currently? I had a set on my 99 accord and they did wonders. I'm assuming it will be the same for the new ones.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
480 Posts
On a straight highway drive the cvt will outperform the mt by a couple mpg. I would say if mpg is your main motivation, go with the cvt. If fun to drive, reliability, initial cost, and a little better performance also factor into your equation, go with the mt. I love mine.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info everyone. Does anyone have any definitive Highway figures for their 13/14 accords that I could use for comparison?

One of the other reasons and might decide this, albeit small, is the color of the MT. It's a lighter exterior and darker interior. The CVT is just the opposite and, while not bad, I prefer the Manual Transmissions colors.

On another note, anyone running snow tires currently? I had a set on my 99 accord and they did wonders. I'm assuming it will be the same for the new ones.

Thanks again!
There is no difference between the 2013 and 2014 cars.

If the color of the car makes a difference because you like the manual more than the CVT then why bother to worry about the slight difference in gas mileage.

·
Registered
514 Posts
No complaints with the CVT here. Not like a manual, but a very smooth, efficient transmission. It truly makes the 2.4 4 feel like a V6.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Of you want MPGs the CVT is the way to go. If you want a car that is hella fun to drive you have to get the stick. I can't get the smile off my face when I drive this car with the stick. I pull down 36 mpg with no issue running at 70mph.

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the advice everyone. Maybe this weekend I'll head down to the dealer and take another look at the twp in question.

I forgot to ask about the MPG gauge earlier. I heard it is normally reports lower than actual. Is this true?

·
Registered
514 Posts
2.4 feels like V6.. haha

OP, get the manual
Comparing the power band of the 4 cyl to one's of the past is no comparison. It's no rocket, but holds it's own better than any other midsize, naturally aspirated, family sedan. Nothing replaces cubic inches and more cylinders but it is a more than respectable engine/tranny combo.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I appreciate all the advice everyone. Maybe this weekend I'll head down to the dealer and take another look at the twp in question.

I forgot to ask about the MPG gauge earlier. I heard it is normally reports lower than actual. Is this true?
On my car the computer shows a mile or two per gallon more than what I compute by dividing the miles pumped by the miles driven when I fill the tank.

Reactions: lji

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I can't drive a stick and I'd chance the manual transmission vs. the CVT. Honda manuals are like butter to drive.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just like rowing gears :) I somehow feel I have a bit more control of how I drive in any conditions that may warrant it.

However the CVT is supposed to get better mileage. I can see it. I am ok with a 2 MPG hit for the fun factor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With most of your driving being highway manual is the way to go, live a little. As people have said the manual tranny is one of the smoothest out there and you will be smiling while driving it!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts