Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am about to bring my car in for service in the upcoming weeks. My car currently has close to 57k miles, which is not far from 60k. So I am wondering, what are some of the important items that I should look for at such service interval? I have listed a few things that I plan to have done, please chime in if you have any additional thoughts/suggestions on this. :)

Oil/oil filter change

P/S fluid change/flush (depending on price)

Wheel balance (for suspension issues)

engine mount

rear brake shoes (replace or clean/adjustment?)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
c'mon nobody has anything to add/suggestions?!

Surely some of us here have done some kind of 60k service right?

Any input is appreciated guys! :thmsup:

·
6,322 Posts
So, I am about to bring my car in for service in the upcoming weeks. My car currently has close to 57k miles, which is not far from 60k. So I am wondering, what are some of the important items that I should look for at such service interval? I have listed a few things that I plan to have done, please chime in if you have any additional thoughts/suggestions on this. :)

Oil/oil filter change

engine mount

I'd leave the ps fluid alone. If you want to freshen it up use a turkey baster to draw some out. Replace with new Honda oem fluid. Done.

Clean, lube and adjust rear brakes. Around $40.

Air and cabin filters.

Pcv valve. Replace with an oem one. Usually the spring breaks around 60k.

Brake fluid should be done every 36 mos.

ATF: very important getting this service done. 2-3 drain and fills with Honda atf.

Use quality engine oil instead of generic bulk oil from dealer. Unless they can firmly tell you what brand they use.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
...generic bulk oil from dealer. Unless they can firmly tell you what brand they use.
There is no such thing as "generic bulk oil". If you have your vehicle serviced by Honda, the paperwork tells you exactly what brand of oil used. My local dealer uses Chevron Supreme oil.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Any input is appreciated guys!

Per OM: LOF ($27.50); cabin air ($20)/install yourself in 3 minutes; engine air filter ($28): buy from dealer - free install. Under $100: not too major........

Rotaccion n/c (Tire outfit where four new Mich Primacy MXV4 tars purchased)

$$$ for my V-6 awaits at 105,000 mile service - - -your four has a chain: good call. Consider having a Crown Royal to celebrate your good fortune.

Agree with SS: Check the power steering fluid level (no need to change)

ez

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the helpful response guys.

I'd leave the ps fluid alone. If you want to freshen it up use a turkey baster to draw some out. Replace with new Honda oem fluid. Done.

Clean, lube and adjust rear brakes. Around $40.

Air and cabin filters.

Pcv valve. Replace with an oem one. Usuall spring breaks around 60k.

Brake fluid should be done every 36 mos.

ATF: very important getting this service done. 2-3 drain and fills with Honda atf.

Use quality engine oil instead of generic bulk oil from dealer. Unless they can firmly tell you what brand they use.
I had the brake fluid and ATF replaced not too long ago so they shouldn't be a problem.
Clean rear brakes for $40? I think that's a little low for that but definitely will do it for that kind of price.
I can do air and cabin filters myself so that's not a problem.

As for pcv valve... is this something difficult to do yourself? If so, any idea on the typical cost of replacement on this item (labor + parts)?

Go straight to the correct source. Set up your free account online and you can view all the correct service maintenance needed at each interval:

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/
Thanks man. I had an account, but dealerships tend to recommend a bunch of unnecessary stuff so I'd rather ask for the opinion/advice of the DA community here.

Any input is appreciated guys!

Per OM: LOF ($27.50); cabin air ($20)/install yourself in 3 minutes; engine air filter ($28): buy from dealer - free install. Under $100: not too major........

Rotaccion n/c (Tire outfit where four new Mich Primacy MXV4 tars purchased)

$$$ for my V-6 awaits at 105,000 mile service - - -your four has a chain: good call. Consider having a Crown Royal to celebrate your good fortune.

Agree with SS: Check the power steering fluid level (no need to change)

ez
Thanks. I don't really drink though. Maybe a diet coke will do. :thmsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
IMO, PCV valves last many more miles than they used to.

60K seems premature for preventive maintenance (i.e. with no related symptoms). Maybe 80-100K. JMO.

There is a simple pinch test cited in the service manual for checking them.

Not long ago, I took a factory PCV valve out of a Honda with 50K. It rattled fine and passed the pinch test, so replacement wasn't indicated.

Replacing fluids is important. Often the suspension components are ignored. Have a tech put the car on a lift and check for leaks, damage, torn boots, etc. Or inspect the undercarriage yourself.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Oil/oil filter change

engine mount

I'm new to Honda's...

First off, it you are able to do it your self, do it & save yourself a few bucks, and that way you know it was done right.

To me it sounds like you are on the right track.

As a few other mentioned, add the engine air filer & cabin filter.

On your list there add tranny fluid change & coolant change, I would do the PCV, its is easy & cheap enough.

I don't know the interval Honda recomends for timing belts (if the engine uses a belt instead of chain).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Oh...I forgot to mention, fuel system service, fuel filter change (again check interval for this) & injectors flushed...

·
4,574 Posts
Thanks man. I had an account, but dealerships tend to recommend a bunch of unnecessary stuff so I'd rather ask for the opinion/advice of the DA community here.
Honda OwnerLink is NOT the dealer. It is the recommended service from Honda. So if you know what the recommended service is, you can decline any additional service that your dealer might try to recommend, or determine what service you can do on your own (like changing engine and cabin filters yourself). However, my local dealer never does that. Every dealer is different.

Maintenance opinions/advice from the DA community? Please don't rely on that for maintaining your car. You will find posts here from people that will replace a bunch of crap on their car because of the check engine light, without ever realizing that they are supposed to obtain a diagnostic code first. Or, they will drive around for 3 months with the check engine light on and wonder why the rest of the car is falling apart. Many of the teenagers here think "maintaining their car" means lowering it, adding a fart-can, and ugly-ass wheels.

·
4,574 Posts
Here is the recommended maintenance for 60,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. This is for an EX-V6. Your 4-banger might have slightly different recommendations:

Replace engine oil.
Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 330).
Replace engine oil filter.
Inspect front and rear brakes.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect drive shaft boots.
Check parking brake adjustment.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.
Inspect exhaust system. (See information on maintenance and emmisions warrenty, last column, page 271.)
Inspect fuel lines and connections. (See information on maintenance and emmisions warranty, last column, page 271.)
Replace air cleaner element (independant of time).
Inspect drive belt.
Replace dust pollen filter.

Most is general inspection of the entire vehicle to check for any accelerated wear and tear. Change oil, filter, rotate tires, air filters. You can decide what else you want to have inspected.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone know what someone usually charges just to inspect that stuff?
not including the brakes...
Some of it gets done during your yearly state inspection right? Why pay again?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is the recommended maintenance for 60,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. This is for an EX-V6. Your 4-banger might have slightly different recommendations:

Replace engine oil.
Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 330).
Replace engine oil filter.
Inspect front and rear brakes.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect drive shaft boots.
Check parking brake adjustment.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.
Inspect exhaust system. (See information on maintenance and emmisions warrenty, last column, page 271.)
Inspect fuel lines and connections. (See information on maintenance and emmisions warranty, last column, page 271.)
Replace air cleaner element (independant of time).
Inspect drive belt.
Replace dust pollen filter.

Most is general inspection of the entire vehicle to check for any accelerated wear and tear. Change oil, filter, rotate tires, air filters. You can decide what else you want to have inspected.
That looks like a B1 maintenance. I just got that done last week @ stealership with brake fluid replacement and wiper blade replacement. 313$CDN with taxes.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO, PCV valves last many more miles than they used to.

60K seems premature for preventive maintenance (i.e. with no related symptoms). Maybe 80-100K. JMO.

There is a simple pinch test cited in the service manual for checking them.

Not long ago, I took a factory PCV valve out of a Honda with 50K. It rattled fine and passed the pinch test, so replacement wasn't indicated.

Replacing fluids is important. Often the suspension components are ignored. Have a tech put the car on a lift and check for leaks, damage, torn boots, etc. Or inspect the undercarriage yourself.
Thanks. And yes I agree, it seems premature to do a major service on a Honda. But since I usually don't do those itemized services ( A, B, C, D...), and I only do oil changes and what I consider necessary, I thought it's about time, especially since I really do think something is wrong with my suspension but I just can't say what exactly (mainly because I'm not an expert) and no one has been able to find the problems thus far (I kinda doubt they really looked into it though). Maybe this is what it takes to solve my problems? :dunno:
I'm new to Honda's...

First off, it you are able to do it your self, do it & save yourself a few bucks, and that way you know it was done right.

To me it sounds like you are on the right track.

As a few other mentioned, add the engine air filer & cabin filter.

On your list there add tranny fluid change & coolant change, I would do the PCV, its is easy & cheap enough.

I don't know the interval Honda recomends for timing belts (if the engine uses a belt instead of chain).
Thanks... I have a timing chain so I don't have to worry about that... I just had dealer changed my tranny fluid not too long ago so that shouldn't be a problem. I thought coolant should be changed at around 100k on a 7th g?! Can anyone confirm this with me?
Also, what would be the typical cost to replace the pcv? I would do it myself if I could, but I doubt it.

Maintenance opinions/advice from the DA community? Please don't rely on that for maintaining your car. You will find posts here from people that will replace a bunch of crap on their car because of the check engine light, without ever realizing that they are supposed to obtain a diagnostic code first. Or, they will drive around for 3 months with the check engine light on and wonder why the rest of the car is falling apart. Many of the teenagers here think "maintaining their car" means lowering it, adding a fart-can, and ugly-ass wheels.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate all the feedback but I do realize that I need to use my discretion sometimes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was 2 years in NJ, but now they mail out stickers extending it to 3 years as a way to save the state some money (NJ has state-run inspection stations). They used to check tires, lights, brakes, horn, emissions, wipers, everything. Now I understand it is only emissions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts