Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing tran maintenance on my 6th gen v6.
-already gonna do a 2x drain and refill (with 500 miles of driving between the 2 per some ppl's recommendation)

Here's my question:
Would it be advisable to look into an additional inline cooler or filter for the trans? Also, does a replaceable trans filter even exist? And would installing an inline one be pointless if the internal pain-in-the-ass to replace filter is not replaced as well?

-I'm fairly sure my original tranny was either rebuilt or replaced by honda VIA factory recall many many years ago when my mother owned the car.

Anyway, please direct me to any useful info, as my research is wholly inconclusive. Thanks! BTW my fluid is pretty gross, not sure when it was last changed.. could just be hella old.

·
Registered
419 Posts
At this point it may not make that much of a difference. If you had a filter on it when it was new and changed them out routinely along with the fluid then it probably would help extend the life of the tranny.

Routine maintenance is key. Fluid drain and fill every 15k is ideal, even though the manual says 30k.

In your case, you might want to do 2 additional drain and fills to see if you can get some more burnt fluid and clutch material out. Or you can do a flush by unhooking the cooling line to the tranny, attaching 6 feet of hose draining into a 5 gal bucket, turn the car on and pour fluid in until the fluid coming out into the bucket is clear.

·
Fugacity...
4 Posts
I do not know much about the transmission filter, but I can recommend a helpful "upgrade" that is supposed to extend the life of your transmission. When Honda was having massive problems with transmissions flunking out far too early, they quietly released a slightly modified version of the "transmission pressure switch," which (assuming I can remember this correctly) narrowed the band of acceptable transmission fluid pressure to complete a shift. Part of the rationale was that a wider band allowed for smoother shifting that in conjunction with the lower-quality transmissions led to premature failure.

I cannot say whether or not your transmission has had this upgrade, but it is something to look into while your working in that area. I did mine nearly four years ago, so I don't know if I can be much help there.

The drain and refills will help keep things happy. You can flush if you can spend the extra dough. I don't know if it will make that much of a difference. It's completely up to you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is no internal filter on the 6th gen V6. The 7th gen V6 do however have a internal filter. I would do a 3x drain & refill with only Honda fluid. If you use anything else you will create more issues. Draining and refill every 15,000 miles is good advice. I have followed that service schedule with my 2002 V6 as well as my 2005 V6.

·
Super Moderator
5,580 Posts
Do the inline filter and use synthetic ATF such as Honda's new DW-1, or if aftermarket ATF, use Mobil 1, AmsOil, Royal Purple, and RedLine D4 just to name a few.

Reactions: Bruce Hawkins

·
AC6DN
1,521 Posts
It is extremely important that you know the ATF flow direction for you engine, before you add anything...

I placed my in-line magnifine filter before the auxiliary cooler, that I placed before the radiators built in cooler. I placed the filter to protect debris getting into the cooler that has small passages. I place the cooler ahead of the radiator cooler because, this would regulate the minimum temperature and set the max temp to ~180F because this is the bottom of the radiator the coolest place, that should be 40-50 degrees cooler than the coolant going in from the engine (240F, -60, = 180F)...
The ATF I use was D4. I still change it every 15K miles (every other engine oil change).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts