Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2006 accord with a 3.0L It shut off while driving. It didn't overheat. Replaced fuel pump but it didn't work. It's been sitting now for a couple weeks and I can still go out and turn the lights on. And it sounds normal when I try to start it. It just doesn't turn over. Any ideas?

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,686 Posts
So I have a 2006 accord with a 3.0L It shut off while driving. It didn't overheat. Replaced fuel pump but it didn't work. It's been sitting now for a couple weeks and I can still go out and turn the lights on. And it sounds normal when I try to start it. It just doesn't turn over. Any ideas?
When was the timing belt last done? How long ago/how old?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yal

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
494 Posts
If it is a timing belt, maybe don't continue to try and crank it...don't want to make any damage worse.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Are you the original owner ? Mileage on the car ? To your knowledge has the timing belt ever been replaced ? When the car shut off while driving, were you able to restart it or did you need to have it towed ? At some point your car battery will die since it isn't getting charged up unless you have it connected to a charger. Have you thought of having it taken to a repair shop to find out the cause. The belt tensioner may of failed causing the timing belt to jump off the sprocket. Get it into a shop before causing more damage by trying to start it.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
494 Posts
if it happened while driving it's probably too late
Too late to have a chance of surviving with a new belt, yes, but the less damage caused the better to have any chance of repairing the engine being worth it.

Interestingly, a quick Google search says that Honda 3.0L engines are non-interference, which doesn't seem right to me.

·
07 Sdn
384 Posts
I have NO experience with the engine, from what I can gather from internet it is non-interference :unsure: when the belt breaks, BUT the problem is when the belt goes the first thing anybody tries is to attempt to restart the engine, like the OP, and that's when the valves get bent. Im taking this internet info with a grain of salt though, the internet can lie to you :D It would be awesome to have this confirmed by someone with actual knowledge (preferably with pictures lol).

·
14,686 Posts
I have NO experience with the engine, from what I can gather from internet it is non-interference :unsure: when the belt breaks, BUT the problem is when the belt goes the first thing anybody tries is to attempt to restart the engine, like the OP, and that's when the valves get bent. Im taking this internet info with a grain of salt though, the internet can lie to you :D It would be awesome to have this confirmed by someone with actual knowledge (preferably with pictures lol).
Most of the members here are knowledgeable. We as a forum understand what happens when a timing belt/chain breaks.

Honda engines are interference. Not sure where you got your info...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
ziptie princess
1,833 Posts
if you'd searched before posting you'd have found accounts of v6 belt failures causing bent valves but go off i guess

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
494 Posts
I can see where they're coming from. Online there seems to be conflicting info. Several places say that all Honda engines except the 3.0 and 3.2 liter are interference.

·
one wheel drive
802 Posts
Another tidbit to support the interference argument- folks who have the same engine with a 6 speed who have missed a shift may have caused over revving, valve float, and piston contact. A huge thing to know when looking to buy a 6 speed if it has even the slightest miss

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nobody else is confused by these 2 sentences?

·
14,686 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts