Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!

pardon my ignorance and feel free to correct me.... i have a 2015 accord sport, looking to get the windows tinted...

i believe the rear windows have a factory 70% tint. I think i've read that somewhere, also it says "70" in the bottom corner. Im assuming this isn't an added tint film but built into the actual glass.

so lets say the rear windows are in fact 70%, and i get aftermarket tint applied by a tint shop, what is the accumulative tint ?

Meaning, if the factory glass is 70%, then lets say i got 50% tint, would that equal a 20% tint? just trying to make sure im exactly legal here in california.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you wanna be legal in CA you pretty much can't tint your front windows. CA tint laws are awful. If you tinted your front windows 70% no one would even know, it looks invisible. The funny thing is, more than half the cars here in Los Angeles have dark tints on their front windows. As long as you don't drive like a jerk, no cop will care.

I got pulled over for going 70 in a 55 zone (usually it's 65 but it's 55 now because of construction) recently. Just my luck. The cop realized 70 is hardly fast in what is usually a 65 zone, so he didn't give me a speeding ticket. He just gave me a fix it ticket for the tinted windows. I have 35% on my front windows. Had my tints for years. The only reason I have to remove them now is because I was speeding. Welp, shit happens. $25 for the ticket.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you wanna be legal in CA you pretty much can't tint your front windows. CA tint laws are awful. If you tinted your front windows 70% no one would even know, it looks invisible. The funny thing is, more than half the cars here in Los Angeles have dark tints on their front windows. As long as you don't drive like a jerk, no cop will care.

I got pulled over for going 70 in a 55 zone (usually it's 65 but it's 55 now because of construction) recently. Just my luck. The cop realized 70 is hardly fast in what is usually a 65 zone, so he didn't give me a speeding ticket. He just gave me a fix it ticket for the tinted windows. I have 35% on my front windows. Had my tints for years. The only reason I have to remove them now is because I was speeding. Welp, shit happens. $25 for the ticket.
Only $25 for the ticket? That's nothing...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Here in Ohio i got pulled over for tint and got a ticket but you have the option to remove the tint and take the car to the police station for inspection and they'll waive the ticket. If you don't remove the tint you have to pay the fine and each time you get pulled over for tint the fine increases. Can't remember what the 1st fine costs but i didn't have to pay because i removed the tint :( didn't want the hassle.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Adding anything less than 35% hardly be worth the trouble and is functionally legal most places. My personal preference is for 20%. Don't know the cumulative, just experience what works "best". My truck is 11% front to match the factory rear and rear doors. A bit on the dark side but quite livable.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's what I thought at first. Honestly, it's more of a hassle than anything. Most shops charge about $20 to remove the tint, then $20 for the inspection, then $25 for the fix it ticket, then you have to pay to re-tint the windows (I'm not driving without front tints in SoCal, especially in the summer). I'd rather just pay a huge fine and not have to deal with the annoyance. Time is money, I don't want to go to a tint shop, then an inspection area, then the court house.

Actually, savagexx1 brings up an interesting question. Is it possible to receive a fix it ticket... and plead "guilty" and just pay a larger fine, but keep my tints? Rather than paying $20 + $20 + $25 + re-tinting cost... I'd rather just pay a $200-$300 fine and be done with it. As long as it doesn't put a point on my license. The ticket itself only mentions paying $25 and removing the tints. Same thing when I try to pay online. :(

Anyone receive a fix-it ticket before and just pay without removing tints? What's the process?

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's what I thought at first. Honestly, it's more of a hassle than anything. Most shops charge about $20 to remove the tint, then $20 for the inspection, then $25 for the fix it ticket, then you have to pay to re-tint the windows (I'm not driving without front tints in SoCal, especially in the summer). I'd rather just pay a huge fine and not have to deal with the annoyance. Time is money, I don't want to go to a tint shop, then an inspection area, then the court house.

Actually, savagexx1 brings up an interesting question. Is it possible to receive a fix it ticket... and plead "guilty" and just pay a larger fine, but keep my tints? Rather than paying $20 + $20 + $25 + re-tinting cost... I'd rather just pay a $200-$300 fine and be done with it. As long as it doesn't put a point on my license. The ticket itself only mentions paying $25 and removing the tints. Same thing when I try to pay online. :(

Anyone receive a fix-it ticket before and just pay without removing tints? What's the process?
A coworker of mine has 10% tint. He's been ticketed and fined multiple times at $120 a pop for having tint too dark. He hasn't been court ordered to remove the tint.

Probably depends on the state.

·
Registered
382 Posts
A coworker of mine has 10% tint. He's been ticketed and fined multiple times at $120 a pop for having tint too dark. He hasn't been court ordered to remove the tint.

Probably depends on the state.
That would have been perfect. After much Googling, all I can find are people who received non-correctable tickets, and are upset because the tickets are expensive. My situation is ass backwards lol. I have a correctable ticket, but I wish it wasn't. I just wanna pay a huge fine and keep my tints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts