Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok y'all, so I've been doing a lot of research into the new '14 EX-L V6 coupe w/ Navi. I've always loved the design, engineering and features of our 7G coupes since they came out - 7.5G being my favorite (obviously...I bought one lol) In fact, even though I could've bought a brand new '12 coupe at the time, I did not like the 8G at all and preferred the 7.5G way more. My thoughts on the new '14 9G are teetering between liking it and not liking it...what are your thoughts?

PROS:

Many new OEM tech features standard on ALL trims: Rearview camera, Bluetooth, AUX/MP3, USB, 12V Power, Dual-Zone Climate, SMS Text Message function, Audio Touch Screen system, Audio/Cruise Steering wheel controls, etc.

Intelligent key fob w/ push button start (EX+ trim)

New Earth Dreams i4 and V-6 engines with Econ mode (more environmental-friendly++) equipped on all trims

MANY new safety enhancements: state-of-the-art ACE II body structure, 4-wheel disc brakes w/ ABS, FCW (frontal crash warning) system, LDW (lane-departure warning) system, side curtain airbags on all trims...

Dimming / Heated exterior mirrors with integrated LED turn signals

Upgraded / more modern interior design

Exterior design got updated as well (IMHO looks much better than the 8G)

MacPherson front strut assemblies for better handling and new independent, multi-link rear suspension

Active noise cancellation system

New 6AT or CVT transmissions w/ paddle shifters. Of course, the beautiful 6MT remains!

New VCM (variable cylinder management) for the V-6. Allows for much fuel economy savings by only using 6-cyl when needed, otherwise, performs on 3 cylinders. :thmsup:

CONS:

LED DRL offered on EX-L trim only and no LED projector headlamps except for Touring Sedan trim - to me, this is a huge set back on Honda's part. C'mon, HID has been around for years now, and yet you're still only offering halogen projectors on all trims in 2014 except for the Touring Sedan?? :thumbsdow

I hate the new blue illumination interior. This is a bad decision design wise IMO as they should've followed the same rule as HID lighting - your eyes strain and have to work harder the further up the kelvin scale and away from natural white light you go (blues to purple). It has been scientifically proven that the eyes adjust easiest to the lower spectrum (natural white --> yellow -> orange --> red) and that blues/purples happen to be more calming/relaxing to humans and puts you more at risk to falling asleep while driving. This is exactly why OEM HID headlamps use 4,300K-5,000K bulbs and not 8,000-12,000K bulbs. It also reminds me of the inside of a Hyundai. I love our 7G interior illumation/dash colors.

The 18" wheels on the EX-L V6 are UGLY. I guess if I ever do buy one, it'll be immediately upgraded to the HFP package with 19" wheels (of course, at the cost of thousands more).

Once again, no LED tail lamps offered for the coupe, but are offered for the Sedan. Honda... :dunno: you did it right for the 7.5G coupe... why are you going back in time instead of forward??

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Reactions: Midnight Mystery

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
If I had the means, I'd get a 2014 EX-L coupe with a 6 speed manual IN A HEART BEAT. It's funny but I was literally looking at Honda's new line up yesturday because my wife wants to trade her '07 CRV for a 2014 Pilot. I figured what could be the harm in trading up my ride too ? btw - a '14 EX-L coupe is available in more colour options in Canada (go figure)...

I would easily cheat on Betty with Veronica ... and have no regrets ... I'd even buy her breakfast in the morning ...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I do like the look of the new accord sedan in sport trim. but the lower level of trim looks to cheap with their plastic wheel covers or the ugly design of the lower level aluminum wheels. One thing I think the new sedan should have is the rub strip on the door. The car looks really plain down the side without it. Now onto the coupe. I think your coupe looks far better inside and out than the 9th gen. Although I think the new gauges are an improvement over our 7th gen, I feel that our center stack is still a better design.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
9g is so far ahead of 7g in terms of performance, comfort, features and looks. the coupe i dont like too much though but you can only get 6 speed v6 in the coupe version. v6 sedan only comes with 6 speed auto

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It's really nice to see this picture comparisons. Thanks, Ben!

I prefer the interior to the 7.5G excluding the Odometer area. I like the new one. I also like the back end of the 9G a little better then the 7.5G. But.. At certain angles, the 7.5G can't be beat. From the head on pictures I much prefer the 7.5G. To me, it doesn't look quite as aggressive.

There's something that looks a little more "comfortable" about the looser leather seats that we have I'm the 7.5G instead of the 9G.

Under the hood looks a little better on the 9G although it's so similar. I think it's just the black engine cover that covers more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
287 Posts
Honda did do it all right with the 7.5 gen. And it seems that since then, they have taken steps backward with regard to ergonomics and aesthetic design. They must have had significant changes in staff.

The 7.5 gen design has definitely aged well and I think it's still relevant today. Your car looks much better from every angle. The interior controls are easier to use and easier to see. And the 7.5 gen is still quite economical and safe. I say run your car into the ground. That will give Honda some more time to try and come with something presentable.

If I was in the market for a new car I would be looking at the new Mazda 6.

·
Legitimate hack
1,417 Posts
I say stick with your 7.5 Ben. You have a good thing going. No sense in changing it up for something that lacks what you currently have.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone but believe me, I am in no way, no how, getting rid of my baby! :D I love her and have it exactly how i want her - I was just doing a lot of research into the 9G to see what all Honda has "upgraded" / improved...and asked myself "Would it even be worth it?" For my answer, I came up with "No way, Jose!"

I am just curious as to what other 7G owners are thinking about it. I definitely agree that the new instrument cluster is a nice upgrade, especially with the Eco Assist (white/green bars) on the sides of the speedometer - but again, I think they completely ruin it by choosing blue illumination! Especially being that they chose to continue the red, racing/sport inspired cluster for the coupe - so let me get this straight...they paid top end designers tons of money and actually listened to them when they suggested "Let's do white numbers, red background, and blue illumination! It'll look grrrreat!" :dunno: I know Honda is primarily sold in the USA...but that's stretching it a little too far hahaha

This is the hot mess I'm referring to: :puke:

The 7.5 gen design has definitely aged well and I think it's still relevant today. Your car looks much better from every angle. The interior controls are easier to use and easier to see.
I do agree with this 100% - I thought that even when comparing our panels to the 8G. I think the 9G looks wayyy too busy, and the dual screens have actually received some negative feedback by many car reviewers. Ours are nice, clean, simple.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ok y'all, so I've been doing a lot of research into the new '14 EX-L V6 coupe w/ Navi. I've always loved the design, engineering and features of our 7G coupes since they came out - 7.5G being my favorite (obviously...I bought one lol) In fact, even though I could've bought a brand new '12 coupe at the time, I did not like the 8G at all and preferred the 7.5G way more. My thoughts on the new '14 9G are teetering between liking it and not liking it...what are your thoughts?

PROS:
MacPherson front strut assemblies for better handling and new independent, multi-link rear suspension
MacPherson struts are technically inferior compared to the double wishbones used in Accords up to the 7G. A MacPherson strut cannot maintain constant camber as the suspension travels up and down like a double wishbone setup can. They're used because of lower cost and the fact that they take up less space in the engine bay.

In addition, the strut in a MacPherson strut setup is an integral part of the suspension, so whenever you remove the strut (e.g. to replace a spring or strut) you need to get an alignment done. This isn't always necessary with a double wishbone setup because the shock absorber doesn't control suspension geometry.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ Great info, thanks for contributing :) I mentioned that as a PRO only because of Honda's advertising. I, personally, never run a stock suspension lol I <3 my Teins - in fact, I had already started looking up coilovers for the 9G because if I ever did buy one, the HFP isn't low enough for my taste and I like being able to adjust my own rebound/dampening

"MacPherson Strut Front Suspension

Upgrade the suspension, upgrade the performance. The MacPherson strut front suspension utilizes a rebound spring in the shock tube that helps the Accord stay connected to the road, so you can corner with greater confidence. The MacPherson strut’s compact design also helps reduce road noise and vibration.

Independent Multi-Link Rear Suspension

The independent multi-link rear suspension provides high lateral rigidity for improved handling. We added a rebound spring to the shock tubes, and that helps the Accord stay tightly connected to the road when cornering." - American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (c) 2013

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
My favorite Accords are 7.5 and 5.5 gen...I didn't have a choice on my 5th gen, it was a hand-me-down but I still miss the "race car" (any of you who have driven and F22 4AT Accord know what I'm talking about). I know I'm a little lame but my dream car graduating high school in 2006 was a 2006 Accord Sedan 6-6. I got most of the way there with this car and it is everything I dreamed it would be and more. Excellent mileage, reliability, safety, etc. so I am totally comfortable with my 7 month old daughter in the car. I just got the added benefit of a peppy 4 cylinder, excellent 5 speed and unexpected tossability (especially with the A-spec wheels w/ summer tires)... I drove a 9th gen Sport 6MT while looking for this Accord, and while I did thoroughly enjoy it and hate the coupe I drove, I don't see $12k making it worth getting the Sport over my 7.5. I like the 6-6, but am thoroughly disappointed Honda didn't see fit to offer standard HID, LED taillights, LSD, etc. on the 6-6 9th gen coupes...Even more disappointed Honda can't bring back a 6-6 Sedan...

Regarding the quote you provided, Ben; do you ever feel like you are in need of a "rebound spring" while enjoying your 7.5? What does a "rebound spring" do that your spring already installed on your car doesn't do, move the wheel back down even faster?

Getting to some comments, you still need an alignment any time you mess with a double wishbone suspension, there is always a chance you knock it slightly out of alignment and I've experienced how quickly tires can wear due to bad camber...Also, camber is not constant in a double wishbone, just cycle a wheel and watch it change. The advantage is that the camber change is not as dramatic as the wheel cycles in a double wishbone suspension because of your flex points. Youtube some videos if you are interested, the different suspension designs are very interesting to learn about...

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Regarding the quote you provided, Ben; do you ever feel like you are in need of a "rebound spring" while enjoying your 7.5? What does a "rebound spring" do that your spring already installed on your car doesn't do, move the wheel back down even faster?
Now I know during all my research, I watched a video that Honda made explaining the benefits of the rebound springs - and now I can't find it for the life of me lol

Personally, I'm on coilovers so I definitely don't have a rebound spring ;) Apparently they are supposed to return the wheel back to the ground faster and more smoothly, eliminating "bumps in the road" and providing a much more quiet, smooth ride. I'll continue looking for that video

·
Banned
47 Posts
I've always loved the design, engineering and features of our 7G coupes since they came out - 7.5G being my favorite (obviously...I bought one lol) In fact, even though I could've bought a brand new '12 coupe at the time, I did not like the 8G at all and preferred the 7.5G way more.
7th gen is DA CREME DE LA CREME! :notworthy

Fewer trips to the dealer is worth the PRICE of ADMISSION!(very few defects and reliability/performance issues) When it comes to cars, its never about the latest blockbuster but more about historical infotainment and the 7th gen has it down pat in terms of legendary bullet proof reliability which the 9th just can't deliver on and match up with like a game of basketball where you can't guard your opponent and can't score on them either- a devastating one-two punch knockout win for the 7th gen that hits its target of gut and ribs everytime. Less tech equals more robust reliability and who needs CVT and DI when you got major fun factor VTEC (V6) DYNAMICS in the oldie but still classic vintage goodie 7th gen which I might add most people have not even reached half-life on and the 7th has delivered a very satisfying product but further solace can be taken in the fewer trips to dealer which I cannot iterate enough. The 7th gen is like a prodigious board still in the moment legend baller that is relentless in 2014 and has car god status. We can only speculate on the future of the 9th being brand new tech engine and a step back in suspension with the strut setup versus the double wishbone and defer reevaluation based on the next major engine update to the 9th gen so defer final judgement on 9th gen until the 9.5 gen engine revisions. soldier on and fight the good (waiting) fight until then...over and out! :yes:

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL I must say, I got a good chuckle at the way you wrote that. Well play out, my friend. :yes:

7G vs 9G Reliability: I've been reading around the 9G section and already it appears to be full of complaints. Vibrations at 1200RPM, most want to shut off the FCW system b/c they hate it, etc. smh I don't know if I even have one thing to complain about my 7.5G yet...she's been nothing but good to me the last 30k miles :D

·
24th Gear
1,233 Posts
LOL I must say, I got a good chuckle at the way you wrote that. Well play out, my friend. :yes:

7G vs 9G Reliability: I've been reading around the 9G section and already it appears to be full of complaints. Vibrations at 1200RPM, most want to shut off the FCW system b/c they hate it, etc. smh I don't know if I even have one thing to complain about my 7.5G yet...she's been nothing but good to me the last 30k miles :D
No complaints about my 9G Sport sedan here, goin 15k strong. :)

I do miss the power of my 7th Gen 6-6 sometimes, but the Sport keeps me happy enough and I needed somethin with better mileage and more reliable. Not sayin my 7th gen was unreliable at all but it had 110k on the ticker and I was tired of replacing motor mounts and axles (my fault for beating on it and modding it lol).

So far the 9G has been everything I wanted, I love the mileage and the styling. I really liked the coupes at first but the more I see them Im glad I chose the sedan.

I went with a sedan over a coupe mainly because of price, the sedan I was happy with an I-4 6MT, if I got the coupe I would have wanted another V6 6MT and it was just a bit too far out of my price range.

Only issue Ive had so far was the side skirt coming loose. Apparently they didnt use the right part (j hook) when installing it... idk. But warranty took care of it and it only cost me a day at the dealership. Maybe I should have tried to get them to loan me a 6-6 Coupe for the day... damn. Oh well. Haha

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
I keep asking my self if the 9th gen is worth $20k more than my car, to me. No, especially since I don't want most of the new tech features. Do any of the 9th gens have memory seats? Or even better, adjustable pedals? To be worth the price difference, I'm going to have to get what I want.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the EX-L trim does come with a two setting memory seat. Adjustable pedals are N/A, though.

@ AccordGuy: lol yea you should've! :yes: ;) Idk...for the car being 7 years NEWER than mine - I would've expected them to increase the MPG ratings for the V6 with better (scientific) technology. Instead, they increase the size of the engine (HP, Ft-lb Tq, and went to a 3.5L) and the numbers are barely greater, if not worse than what my V6 gets. On long highway trips like out to my sister's in DE, I can easily pull off an avg of 32-33mpg!) This was one of those trips, only 1/2 way there and the avg kept climbing (look at that range! over 500 miles per tank :thmsup:)

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
283 Posts
imo the only thing that i like is the gauge display on the dash on the new accord. everything else, i actually dont like and like our 7g's more =X

1 - 20 of 69 Posts