Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2007 Accord EX-L 3L 6spd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two months when driving and running low rpm's there seems to be a rattling around 2200 rpms say in 3rd or 4th gear. It goes away as the rpm's increase and unless the car drops to that 2200ish rps, when I really should be in a lower gear there is no issue. Any ideas?

Heat Shields?

Thx!

2007 Accord Ex-L V6 6Spd

·
Registered
167 Posts
Let the exhaust cool and check to see. I have found the heat shields around the cat. tend to break loose. I use a hose clamp to fix them. Cheap and easy if you dont have access to a welder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, I would notice that when i start my car the heat shield would rattle..replace the heat shield below the cat for $170 Honda part

·
Registered
104 Posts
heat shield is far less than $170
18181-RAA-A01 COVER (LOWER) USA 1 $23.79 *
6 18182-RAA-A01 COVER (UPPER) USA 1 $25.36
hondapartsnow.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
i guess i can buy those 2 sheilds and the bolts that go with them if i need and i can cover the converter with it.

·
1,927 Posts
Hose clamp. It's happened later on my Hondas, but has happened on almost every car I've owned.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i think my shields fell off..either that or i ran over someone else's.
Hose clamp. It's happened later on my Hondas, but has happened on almost every car I've owned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called my local Honda dealers service department today about the rattle cause it started to drive me insane. i looked on the forums before and they said to use hose clamps and thats what i did and the rattle went away for a bit and then came back but not as bad but it was back so i called and i asked them how much it'll be to replace and they told me that they usually just clamp it or remove it and i asked if it'll cause any problems from the heat and they said it wont they don't replace it they either remove or clamp so i took mine off the one that was rattling and it'll all good now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Are you guys talking about the heat shields around the headers/primary catalytic converters, or the one around the 3rd cat?

My 2007 has a wicked rattle that happens only when the car is in gear and around 2000rpm. I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out. if all I have to do it take these shields off, I would be a happy camper! I looked under the hood and they look really hard to get to. What is the trick to get them out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heat Shields on a Honda Accord

How many heat shields are on the accord? I took my 2003 EX 3.0 liter to the dealer & they replaced the ones around the cat converter, however the noise still continued. So I took it back & was told there were at least 6 different shields & that to check them all they'd have to remove the converter, & check each & everyone which could cost me upwards to $1,000.00! So I'd like to know exactly how many there are & where are they located?

·
Registered
674 Posts
One shield (2 pieces) around each cat.

You have two cats under the hood (exhaust manifold), and another cat under the car.

i would just remove the heat shield on the cat under the car; but I would replace the shields of the cats under the hood. One of their function is to deflect heat, and it is pretty crowded under the hood. I think those are useful under the hood.

·
O-H-I-O
219 Posts
One shield (2 pieces) around each cat.

You have two cats under the hood (exhaust manifold), and another cat under the car.

i would just remove the heat shield on the cat under the car; but I would replace the shields of the cats under the hood. One of their function is to deflect heat, and it is pretty crowded under the hood. I think those are useful under the hood.
I am ECSTATIC that I found this thread...I have had a noise at 2000rpms under load for over a year now...going to have to take a look at the heat shields this weekend!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
There are 2 more heat shields on the V6's. There is one above each rear muffler. Both of them are loose on my 2003, but so far they are relatively quiet. Since they can also rattle so you might want to check them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For anyone still having the rattling problem at low RPM. My final fix was a stainless steel clamp around the cat on the front header. It was pretty easy to get to from under the car and the problem was resolved. I would imagine if the same problem happened on the rear header, it may be a little more difficult to get to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts