Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TL A-Specs RUBY------CURB
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have been wondering a lot these days abotu converting my 2006 to a fully electric car with a electric motor in it. I also want to have a solar panel hood, roof and trunk lid which will also charge the batteries on the go. From what research I have done it is also possible to inset dynamos in the axle and transmission in order to generate electricity as the car moves. With this, the car gets about 150 miles to a single charge. Have any of you heard about anyone who did a complete car conversion from a gasoline based engine to an electric motor? If so, kindly share information!
Any input will be appreciated. and if you are wondering on how much money and coal generated electricity will be used to charge the car then let me inform you, when my father got the house built he put solar panels on our roof and I am 100% energy self sufficient, in fact, the solar panels contribute a little bit, a tiny little bit to the grid after satisfying the energy requirements for the house! so no burning of fossil fuels!
Kindly provide your input!

·
Banned
3,071 Posts
I haven't heard anyone doing this conversion, but this sounds like a freaking fun idea!! Please go for it! Save the earth! ^^

·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vixen I have been looking at all the details. I have contacted Chip Foose designs and have had a chance to talk to chip foose about the project (not making up sh*t) He told me that he has done a conversion like that for one car before. We also discussed the possibility of the dynamo system. He has said he will look into it and call back. The estimated conversion cost for the last one he did was 7000 usd but that did not include the solar panels and the dynamo. I am also in the process of inquiring about solar panels from companies that make it. I really want to do this conversion. The best part is that all these parts which are used carry a lifetime warranty! Atleast thats what chip said! So lets see where this lands us. If i decide to go ahed with this mod it is going to cost some serious money and it will be expensive to insure it as well. As for contacting chip foose, I had sent an email to him through his website chipfoose.com on monday last week using other inquiries as my question and heard back saturday afternoon. i just didnt want to post this on DA.net yet because people would think I am faking it. I am hoping to get some backing from TV channels so that the build can be done for free! yay! hehehe

·
Banned
3,071 Posts
Vixen I have been looking at all the details. I have contacted Chip Foose designs and have had a chance to talk to chip foose about the project (not making up sh*t) He told me that he has done a conversion like that for one car before. We also discussed the possibility of the dynamo system. He has said he will look into it and call back. The estimated conversion cost for the last one he did was 7000 usd but that did not include the solar panels and the dynamo. I am also in the process of inquiring about solar panels from companies that make it. I really want to do this conversion. The best part is that all these parts which are used carry a lifetime warranty! Atleast thats what chip said! So lets see where this lands us. If i decide to go ahed with this mod it is going to cost some serious money and it will be expensive to insure it as well. As for contacting chip foose, I had sent an email to him through his website chipfoose.com on monday last week using other inquiries as my question and heard back saturday afternoon. i just didnt want to post this on DA.net yet because people would think I am faking it. I am hoping to get some backing from TV channels so that the build can be done for free! yay! hehehe
Whos' gonna think you're faking it? I've heard of conversions like these gone successful! I hope this works well...I would really prefer a car that doesn't eat away at the gas economy all the time. Batteries will be an awesome backup when the sun doesn't come out as well..^^

·
All VTEC. All the time.
377 Posts
Next time you talk to Foose, ask him how much it would cost to convert my '07 sedan to a pro-street job; rear wheel drive / V8 with a blower ;)

Seriously though- all-electric sounds like an interesting project; keep us up to date with pix if it moves forward.

·
VTAKKKK
1,154 Posts
Sounds crazy but you're going to need to protect the panels on the roof, reducing the efficiency. You might as well go buy a fully electric car, much easier and less time consuming!

·
resident pessimist
103 Posts
Sounds crazy but you're going to need to protect the panels on the roof, reducing the efficiency. You might as well go buy a fully electric car, much easier and less time consuming!
Plus he will need to move to somewhere that gets more sun. I'm thinking Seattle. :dunno: :lmao:

·
O do u know the buffinman
3,441 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wow i would love to see this

·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
allright guys, so i have decided to go forth with the project, as suggested by inspector 1, i have contacted the amp motor works company by using their address to find their phone number, i told them, i was interested in a complete conversion! Their response was that they will do it. Now they are going to try and figure out what parts they need and how they are going to work with my dynamo idea! they also suggested not putting solar panels on the car since it would make it too costly and the price would run about 10K with solar panels. According to them, if i select to do the conversion, i am looking at a minimum of 5K and 0 maintainence costand a maximum range of 120 miles/ charge, They also said that their conversion would come with a 5 year warranty and a 10 year battery warranty. Now, The question is this, I have also contacted chip foose regarding this build and want him to be a part of it. especially remmodeling the car if he chooses to plunge into this! I was wondering if there is any way to get hold of the media investors to help in this project, this would be a great opportunity to shed light into the world of EV's also, tell people about driveaccord.net and, i wouldnt have to pay for it! hehehe! any suggestions are welcome!

·
Atif
2 Posts
EV Conversion

Hey just curious how the conversion went? Been investigating the same concept. Looks like a lot of people are reusing old fork lift motors to replace the stock engine. Then using lithium ion batteries for the juice. I'm not clear on what they do for the air conditioning, and the power steering and ABS. I know at least the AC compressor is powered by the engine, so I figure either another motor to turn the AC compressor.. or a new compressor all together?

Anyway, would love to know how your conversion went.

Thanks
-Atif

allright guys, so i have decided to go forth with the project, as suggested by inspector 1, i have contacted the amp motor works company by using their address to find their phone number, i told them, i was interested in a complete conversion! Their response was that they will do it. Now they are going to try and figure out what parts they need and how they are going to work with my dynamo idea! they also suggested not putting solar panels on the car since it would make it too costly and the price would run about 10K with solar panels. According to them, if i select to do the conversion, i am looking at a minimum of 5K and 0 maintainence costand a maximum range of 120 miles/ charge, They also said that their conversion would come with a 5 year warranty and a 10 year battery warranty. Now, The question is this, I have also contacted chip foose regarding this build and want him to be a part of it. especially remmodeling the car if he chooses to plunge into this! I was wondering if there is any way to get hold of the media investors to help in this project, this would be a great opportunity to shed light into the world of EV's also, tell people about driveaccord.net and, i wouldnt have to pay for it! hehehe! any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know people who have used forklift motors in geo's and people that have integrated them to run the last gear on their honda transmissions so when they drive highway they can run full electric. The geo's get like 400-500 miles a charge and 180 mpg on hybrid setups and the honda hybrids get normal city mileage when ran on last gear hybrid but upwards of 200 miles off a charge for highway. Just keep in mind that the batteries are VERY heavy and will affect your power from both your gas and electric motors. The more batteries, the longer you can go, but your efficiency will suffer. Now if you could set up a small gas motor (Like a miniature lawnmower motor) to run an oversized alternator that could keep up with the electric usage, then I would love to see what kind of mpg you could achieve. I've wanted to do this, but it will have to wait until after my wagon and stroked 593 v10 mopar project.

I would like to know if he ever went through with this, but seeing how old the thread is, without updates, I doubt it came together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.