Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accord peeps!

This is my first post on this forum, I hope some of you OG's are able to drop a little knowledge on me! Thanks!

I recently bought Tein S-Tech Drop springs. I currently have 120k on my stock struts. My original plan was to just change out the springs and use the same struts. But someone insisted that I also change out the struts. (Is it necessary?)

I was also wondering if any of you have had camber/alignment issues when doing this, because where I'm from (Honolulu), they're really strict on things like this.

Any answers would be helpful!
Thank you!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Putting lowering springs on already tired struts is most certainly a bad idea. Not only should you buy new struts you should buy struts that are made for a lowered vehicle. A bit stiffer with more dampening.

You will need an alignment if that's what you are asking. I believe the teins are too aggressive but you made some camber adjustment in the rear to correct the negative camber.

·
Super Moderator
6,396 Posts
It's not necessary, but your car will be bouncing like a lowrider soon because lowering springs have higher spring rates and will blow your stock struts sooner. You will spend on labor a second time by skipping putting in performance struts the first time.

You ALWAYS have to do an alignment when you lower a car because toe will move out and camber will turn more negative.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ntoober, your question is as old as time itself because it's a good one! There are probably caveman dwellings with illustrations of guys asking this same question about their Fred Flintstone cars. "Should I use the big rock or the small rock for height? Thatch leaves or grass bushings ...?"

Don't ruin the ride buy mismatching parts for the sake of the look. I used Koni Specials (aka Reds) with S-Techs on my '94 and it was wonderful. Have no idea what works well on a 7th gen.

Consider also, there will come a day when you want to sell the car. I know, sounds weird, right?

1) With new struts you assemble everything off the car and then do the swap at once.
2) When you sell the car, perform the opposite. You'll be glad you not only kept the OEM parts, but kept them assembled. And so will your buyer, which translates into $$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Right now i'm looking at Tokico Blues or KYB for my struts/shocks. Has anyone had experience with lowering their car, then getting alignment and was still able to stay "in spec"?

I'll most definitely keep the stock struts/shocks and springs assembled in case I want to sell the car later.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I would recommend you just save, and go for coilovers. You will be much happier with them. Not only will you achieve the look you are going for, they are designed for handling.

I use Megan Street EZ series coilovers, and they have both height adjustment and ride dampening so you can adjust (very easily) how soft/hard the car rides.

Doing it right the first time is the way to go.

If you DON'T want to go that route, then +1 for not using the stock struts. Very bad idea.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Koni adjustables struts only. No KYB or Tokico.
I have the yellows they r great paired with my h techs. These will be great paired w any spring due to the rebound dampening adjustibility.

Depending on what your goals are the "best" suspension setup for you will be different. I think most ppl with coils don't adjust them enough to justify having "adjustibility in height".

The konis have adjustable perches and a lifetime warranty, they aren't cheap though and you could buy coils for the same price.

Decide what your goals r then search past posts and educate yourself, you will gain more insight from doing that than from asking us bc everyone will say somthing r different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts