Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I had some friends in the car, and someone asked me how old my Accord was. They were quite surprised when I told them it was almost 11 years old. I guess part of it is that the 7th gen Accord had a pretty high level of features in the higher trim levels (dual zone auto climate, heated seats, steering wheel controls, etc). Thinking about it a bit more, it also seems to me that the 7th gen Accord's interior design was ahead of its time when it came out in 2003. The Accords after the 7th gen started to become more and more plasticky, and the 8th gen Accord's interior also has some button overload going on.

The 2002 Accord's interior:

7th gen interior:

There is a huge difference between the 6th and 7th gen Accords' interiors. Having had a 6th gen myself, I can attest to the fact that the 6th gen interior looks quite dated now, but not so with the 7th gen.

What do you guys think about the 7th gen's interior in terms of how "dated" it looks today?

2003 Camry Interior, for comparison:

·
Registered
840 Posts
There is a huge difference between the 6th and 7th gen Accords' interiors. Having had a 6th gen myself, I can attest to the fact that the 6th gen interior looks quite dated now, but not so with the 7th gen.

What do you guys think about the 7th gen's interior in terms of how "dated" it looks today?
I agree with the 6G's interior now looking dated. That trapezoid section in the middle is an eyesore

The 7G was a much improved car, inside and out. I always give credit to Honda for manufacturing good looking vehicles in recent years with loads of options

The Camry's interior doesnt look bad. I almost bought a 05 SE not too long ago

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I've heard the "button overload" bit about the 8G, but at least with the LX every button that's there makes sense. I was in a friend's '11 Odyssey that was a high trim level and it had WAY too many buttons going on. I should be able to look at it and figure out how to turn on / off the AC in 5 seconds and not feel like grabbing the manual.

I like the '02's interior. Simple...some knobs for the stereo and buttons for the HVAC. All you really need.

The Camry there looks like a truck's interior...pretty bleh.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I too owned both a 6th gen and a 7th gen Accord. I rather like the 6th gen's interior and don't think it looks dated. It's not as fancy as some of the other interiors now but replace the old radio with a double din touchscreen and it looks fine. We also used to own a 2004 Camry with the same interior as pictured. I liked both the 8th gen Accord and the 04 Camry's interiors. They were simply stated and functional. I do think the 7th gen's interior was ahead of its' time. I think Honda hit the nail on the head back in 2003 in predicting what drivers would want in their cars for years to come.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
I love our interior, especially at night time with all the lights on, I just wish my instrument cluster was the same as the 06-07. That one looks way better.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I just wish my instrument cluster was the same as the 06-07. That one looks way better.
You wanna throw down?

It is a known and proven fact that the instrument cluster of the 2005 Accord Coupe EX-L (with graphite pearl exterior) was the best looking ever made- especially when they hit 100,000 miles, as mine recently has. :)

There are hundreds of threads about this fact....no need to discuss further.:paranoid:

In all seriousness, the "giveaway" is that we don't have stock USB ports (easily enhanced), as most cars now do. So many passengers are surprised that my car is a 2005 as the interior looks futuristic, but when they want to charge their Android phone, all heck breaks loose.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You wanna throw down?

It is a known and proven fact that the instrument cluster of the 2005 Accord Coupe EX-L (with graphite pearl exterior) was the best looking ever made- especially when they hit 100,000 miles, as mine recently has. :)

There are hundreds of threads about this fact....no need to discuss further.:paranoid:

In all seriousness, the "giveaway" is that we don't have stock USB ports (easily enhanced), as most cars now do. So many passengers are surprised that my car is a 2005 as the interior looks futuristic, but when they want to charge their Android phone, all heck breaks loose.
Haha you should buy one of those cig lighter chargers that output USB, stick it into the armrest storage socket and voila. 2014 :p

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
The interior is one of the things that attracted me to my Accord when i was looking to buy my first car a few years ago. In comparison to the Nissan Altima, no matter what year, I feel the 07 had a nice one.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Haha you should buy one of those cig lighter chargers that output USB, stick it into the armrest storage socket and voila. 2014 :p
lol, I put one of them in the console's electrical socket- next to the "not an ashtray". That fools most of them but every now and then, when they pull their cord out, the little charger comes out too and they say, "Hondas used to be well-made- sorry I broke it."

Then I pull over and tell them to get out. No one insults my Honda.

Reactions: mc-io

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, I put one of them in the console's electrical socket- next to the "not an ashtray". That fools most of them but every now and then, when they pull their cord out, the little charger comes out too and they say, "Hondas used to be well-made- sorry I broke it."

Then I pull over and tell them to get out. No one insults my Honda.
Nothing a little epoxy wouldn't fix :thmsup:

Though I do kinda agree with that last part. With every successive generation, Hondas get increasingly plasticky. The interior of a 5th-gen Accord is almost entirely covered in soft-padded material, whereas the 7th gen starts to make use of hard plastics in the dash and door panels, and the 8th gen continues that trend even more.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
You wanna throw down?

Man, that is sexy, any chance anyone has a product number of the manual versions instrument cluster? Is it also the same sexy red on white look? I'd be willing to sell my 2007 Cluster for it.

·
6th Gear
528 Posts
The 7th Gen was the single most appealing aspect of the car when I was searching for a new car in 2003. After all, the interior was where I was going to spend the majority of my time when owning the Accord. I ended up getting a taffeta white 2003 LX sedan.

I wanted a dash that was not only ergonomic and functional but also stylish and appealing to look at. The seats and driving position were very comfortable too, especially on the EX-L version I purchased the following year when I traded in the 2003 LX. If I could change one thing on the 7th generation, I would try to make the A-pillars a bit narrower. But then again, they hold the front side curtain airbags, things I hope never to see inflated!

Love the classy trapezoidal audio/HVAC unit surrounded by birds-eye maple simulated wood trim on the cubby and window switch panels. Visually stunning, despite the weak radio, and the way the dash contours flow into the doors.

I also test-drove the 2003 Camry and a pic of the dash is posted above. After getting out of the Accord and into a Camry, I felt the Camry's dash way too simplistic that it could have been designed by a third grader.

I also looked at the Jetta of that year. The black interior felt too stark and businesslike, and I did not like the radio position as you need to take your eyes off the road to change stations or adjust the volume. The radio was partially hidden by the stick shift too. I don't think I could ever get used to the blue dash illumination at night.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
The 7th Gen interior was a step ahead at the time, but other Honda models quickly made it outdated with Honda failing to bring the Accord up to parity until years too late. Not sure why Honda always leaves the Accord behind compared to other models. The new Accord dash looks awful, and the 8th Gen was never a big hit either.

I sold my Accord last July and switched to the '13 Civic EX-L with Navi. Love the high gas mileage. The analog tach, digital speedo, digital gauges, i-MID, and separate Navi unit is far better than the Accord.

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
283 Posts
lol button overload on 8g.. i agree ! thats why i opted for 7g even when the 8g's were out

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the 2005 ex without navigation and I like it. I don't know if to say it's futuristic but back in the day, I bet it was nice.

Just some of the other cars around that time period aren't as good. Nissan altima comes to mind.

The carry isn't that bad but it's just at akward positions. Where as in my 7th gen, everything is just where I want it to be.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree. The interior in these cars are very nice. Nothing that gets in the way, and nothing that you would never really use. The curves and design are just very well done.

·
2020 CBP Touring
682 Posts
The Accord has a decidedly sportier feel to the ****pit yet still is ergonomically excellent. The looks of the 6th gen interior was at times odd from certain angles but supremely ergonomically correct. The 7th gen improved on the looks a lot before it went to hell in the 8th gen IMHO...

Camry interiors were never in the same league IMO. I like to pretend im driving a sports car, probably why I bought a 6-6 sedan. Even the SE Camrys don't offer that feeling in my book.

That said my beater is a 98' Camry with 96k because it might be the most bulletproof car on the road. Horrible interior... I beat the living shit out of it and it's as tight as ever. No rust and almost rattle free. Granted my maintenance is by the book or better.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
^^ We found another word that is strangely on the censor list.

I had a bunch of ****s in my ****pit and boy they sure were acting like ****s.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The GenVII coupe - leather, 180-watt AM/FM 6 C/D with multiple speakers/balance/fader plus up/down + in/out steering wheel, 8-way adjustable driver's seat and snick-snick 6M - make the 750 miles to Seattle fun (in this sailor's view).

Add the range (600+ miles - 6th gear 2200 RPM), dual zone AC/heat climate control plus the low noise level (I-5 has been smoothed out as of late) and V-6 reserve power...................

It really belies the $23.4 I laid out prior to the drive off the showroom floor.

ez..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts