Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tryin to bring out my factory 17" wheels on my '04 6-6, the car is lowered with Tein S. Techs on Tokico Blues. I know prolly everyone else on here has done it and was just wondering what size spacers you used. I asked a friend and he said prolly 20mm all around but the back looks like its set in deeper than the front. Let me know what you other 7th Geners have used.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
20mm front and 25mm rear! (dont use it but heard about this setup often)

·
i-VTEC, do you?
284 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
20mm front and 25mm rear! (dont use it but heard about this setup often)
I have it the exact opposite, I couldn't run 25 in the rear, because it was literally a paper's width from the fender wall, of course not rolled. I am conservative and don't like messing with the car's metal.

·
i-VTEC, do you?
284 Posts
/\ /\ /\ Mmmmmmm, perfect!

You have to roll the fenders?
Nope, no need with the Pro-Kit, but if you go lower with some coilovers then you will probably have to roll them.

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K cool, No coilovers here. I'm runnin Tein S. Techs with Tokico Blues.

I've been lookin at em and one thing I'm not sure of is the center bore, theres like 3 or 4 diff sizes...does it matter?

·
i-VTEC, do you?
284 Posts
Yeah, you need the 64.1 Center Bore spacers with the Thread size of 12X1.5 and Bolt Pattern of 5X114.3 or else you will have some serious vibrations on the highway.

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just figured Id update, yesterday I took the plunge and slapped on my spacers 20mm Fr, 25mm Re. Love the way they look! Def helps the look of the car. *Thought the 20s look a bit big for the front, but took it out and she ain't rubbin at all. :) *Here's some before and after shots.

Front

Rear

·
Fails at Internets
91 Posts
That looks sick man! What brand are they? I can't wait to ditch my sportlines and install my co's, then adjust the ride height in the back so i can fit some spacers in there. Hopefully the spacers are as safe as people say they are (ie., don't add too much stress on the hub)!

peace.

·
Fails at Internets
91 Posts
Hopefully the spacers are as safe as people say they are (ie., don't add too much stress on the hub)!
Well I just spent a few hours researching this, and it definitely becomes as complicated of a matter as one wants it to be. I DON'T think there are any horrendous safety issues, but just performance related ones. My takeaway is actually NON-EXISTENT at this point because my brain has melted from information overload. :wave: It seems there's no straight answer because it depends on your suspension geometry and wheel offset/backspacing.

The three things I for sure learned are:
  1. Decreasing offset increases Track Width
  2. Decreasing offset increases Scrub Radius
  3. Decreasing offset decreases Wheel Rate (suspension rate)
Each of these has an affect on your car's handling, steering, and traction, as well as the lifespan of suspension components.

An article on eHow.com simply says:

"The effects of wheel offset have mainly to do with the forces that are exerted on wheel-bearings. Most manufactured vehicles come with a wheel offset that is designed to minimize the load on the wheel-bearings."
A more detailed article in Honda Tuning Mag titled, Wheel Offset: Why It Matters (Look Cool Without Being A Dummy), says this about track width:

"Reduced offsets result in larger track widths. This can improve cornering speeds by reducing lateral load transfer from the inside tires to the outside tires. By keeping the tire loads uniform, tires can generate increased lateral grip. This is why most race car tires are as far outboard as possible. On the other hand, changing the wheel width does not change the track.

Another way to increase track without having to purchase new wheels is to install wheel spacers. Spacers are available in different thicknesses, from about 5mm to 30mm or more, depending on the application. Eibach manufactures one of the nicest sets of spacers on the market. Their spacers are precision machined with tight tolerances, which helps ensure that wheels stay securely attached to their hubs."
The article also says this about scrub radius:

"Altering wheel offsets also affects the scrub radius. Recall that the scrub radius is the ground-level measurement between the kingpin inclination axis (KIA) and the tire contact patch's center.

A negative scrub radius is preferred for front-wheel-drive cars since it gives a stabilizing effect when traction between the left and right wheels varies.

Spacing wheels out by means of smaller offsets or spacers increases the scrub radius. This makes a negative scrub radius less negative, maybe even positive. This could lead to unequal front-wheel traction depending upon the difference between the old and new offsets."
And it goes on to mention spring/wheel rates:

"Offset also affects suspension stiffness through the suspension's motion ratio. With less offset, the wheel's leverage about the inboard lower control arm pivot increases while the suspension spring leverage remains constant. The net effect is a reduction in the effective wheel spring rate. For example, a stock DC2 Integra fitted with wheels with 10mm less offset will have a 5 percent lower wheel rate. Therefore, to recover the lost suspension stiffness, a 5 percent stiffer spring is needed."
I was able to confirm all of this (and more) by reading other forums. For example, this maxima.org thread has similar information:

"Wider stance actually does make a slight difference. In the front it will decrease wheel rates and roll rates (softer feeling suspension), but not by a significant amount. In the rear it won't decrease roll rates but it will decrease individual wheel rates, so if you hit a bump on one side it will soak it up a bit better.

None of this is anything you will notice though.

Spacers will increase scrub radius, which means that your steering wheel will recenter itself more and will be harder to turn (especially if you're stopped and on the brakes). This is something I definitely noticed going from stock wheels to +35s. Depends on the offset of the wheels and size of the spacer.

They will also increase wear on wheel bearings, something like a 5mm will be unnoticeable but try a 25mm and you may notice a difference. With the A33 wheel bearing issues I've heard about this may be a setback, but wheel bearings go out so infrequently as it is I wouldn't worry about it with an A32.

Finally there are safety issues, which are the main concern. Some shops will flat out turn you away if you have spacers. Extended lugs, lug pattern converting spacers etc are all rather risky, some people argue that it's negligible and some argue otherwise. I personally have never heard of a story of something happening because of a spacer but that's not to say that it won't."
I'll probably just throw some 10mm in the rear and call it good. :D

-duck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts