Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuation of the Seafoam and MAF cleaning, here is a step by step for the throttle body. If it is real bad, I suggest removing the entire assembly for cleaning. I believe Princess posted a pdf on this in the 7th gen instructions. If you do this every 15K, then you'll never need to remove it for cleaning.

Note: This is what a 62K throttle body looks like, the cleaning was not even necessary, but I did it for the DIY. Here is what I use, same brand as the MAF cleaner, CRC. Can be found at any auto part store.

First, loosen the 5.5mm bolt securing the intake tube to the t.b.

Second, disconnect the wire loom from the intake tube

Third, pull the intake tube towards you, it should come off pretty easy. Move it out of the way to expose the t.b.

You will see to the right of the t.b. where the cable attaches. There is a tab which you can press and it opens the throttle butterfly.

Press -> Open

Put a shop towel under the t.b to collect any run-off.

Attach the straw to the spray tip and spray a few squirts in the t.b. while moving the butterfly open and closed. You don't need much, just three or four good squirts as per the instructions on the can.

Button it back up in reverse order

Now start it up. It may hesitate or be difficult to start at first, but it should smooth out quickly. Repeat ever 15-20K miles along with a MAF cleaning. Good luck! :thmsup:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice write up.

Looks pretty much the same for the V6... :thumbsup:

PS. Are those the microfiber towels from Target? (I just got a 12 pack for 3.49 on sale)

·
Go Bills!
266 Posts
Thank you for the pics!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
For DBW I don't recommend spraying a lot into TB as you don't want spray to get into the motor/TPS assembly.
Instead damp a rag with cleaner and clean TB plate and walls . this way nothing gets drenched but still gets cleaned . You might need to repeat few times with rag but it will remove deposits .

·
Registered
399 Posts
Another thing to add is use a microfiber or some soft cloth so you don't scratch the teflon coating on the throttle body. BTW how do you do this with drive by wire throttle system.

·
Go Bills!
266 Posts
Do you still have to wipe dry the TB after spraying 3-4 squirts? Or, does it dry up fairly quickly?

·
Go Bills!
266 Posts
Anybody?

I really want to do this soon...I can start feeling some loss of torque..

·
Registered
104 Posts
IS it the same for a 6 cyl..just noticed service throttle plenum is a recommended service at some shops...but i've never had it done... are you under your car on your back? i hope the jack i buy lifts the car up high enough for me to see what i'm doing.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
From the pics I've seen of the 3.0's engine bay, I'd bet it's very similar. And I'm pretty sure he's doing this from on top of the engine. The first pics do look like he's under the engine, but I don't think he is.

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the pics I've seen of the 3.0's engine bay, I'd bet it's very similar. And I'm pretty sure he's doing this from on top of the engine. The first pics do look like he's under the engine, but I don't think he is.
Correct, I am not under the engine, on top. And it is very similar for the V6.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You have to be careful not to spray any on the sensor right?

·
Registered
149 Posts
kabayang bryan, the answer is no. You dont have to tamper or touch the ecu. No need to reset it either. I believe the idle should be surging high because its gonna run rich the first time you turn on the car. I havent done this but on my other car, i usually do the seafoam (like what op said on post #1) first with engine running @ 1500 rpms till i emptied the whole can. Since our hondas came with a maf sensor, I would clean it up first then i do seafoam (i think seafoam is not maf friendly, so i wouldnt use that to clean up the MAF) Then if i see the TB is still dirty then i do this method to finally clean up the throttle body. You'll be expecting a lot of smoke coming out of your exhaust but no worries its safe and its not gonna affect your O2 sensors (seafoam claims its 02 sensor friendly). I would also suggest to do this right before you change your oil :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the post. It makes me much more confident doing this on my car.
Just a small note. If you get rough or high idle after cleaning throttle body you might nee to do "idle learn procedure". Details about this procedure http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53712

I've also got check engine light after cleaning. Unfortunately I have no tool to reset ECU. Hopefully error will go away after some time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1 i have an 06 with the drive by wire system, any way I can still clean this?
Have a friend sit in the drivers seat and press the accelerator all the way down and hold with his right foot. Now, you can clean the inside of the throttle with a rag and CRC.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does cleaning the TB REALLY make a difference? The YouTube videos I just watched basically just get a rag dirty, they don't remove any significant quantity. There's not like a mountain of gunk blocking the entrance or anything...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts