Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Brand new to the site and pretty new to the Accord family, but long time Honda brother =). About a month ago I picked up an 03 accord EX v6. Everything looked fine when I got it, but progressivly I was hearing a bearing noise from somewhere. Long story short, the ac bearings are shot and so is the compressor. Im not currently in a situation to buy a new compressor at the moment, they are pretty pricey, so about 4 days ago, went to Advanced auto, tried out like a million belts and thought I had found one that was a perfect fit that also bypasses the AC, Its just a temp fix until I can get a compressor. But about 2 days ago, I lost power steering, pulled over and found the belt was half way off on top of the power steering pulley. Luckily I had tools with me and was able to push the tensioner back(Also new), and put the belt back in place. but today, boom, driving down the road and I hear it start to go and it rips and the battery light comes on, so I just rip it out and limp the car home.

So, sorry for the huge run on paragraph but I was wondering if anyone here had a for sure answer on the size of an AC bypass belt if there is one? Its for the J30a4. Thanks ahead of time everyone! Look forward to good news, I hope!:notworthy

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
The factory belt on yours is a 38920-RCA-A03 which is a 2135MM long belt or approximately 84.1 inches. What you need to figure out is how long a belt you need by threading a string along the new path bypassing the A/C compressor. The Bando part # 6PK2135 but the inch # 841K6, this tells you the belt is 84.1 inches long with 6 ribs. They have lots of shorter versions of the same belt as long as you know how many inches of belt you need.

As far as the A/C compressor goes the issue is must likely just the clutch and that can be replaced without replacing the whole compressor. You did not list the year of your car but I think it is the same part # for all 7th gen V6 engines.
You can get the part for about $165 and a few hours of labor, the hardest part is getting the old one off and the shaft may be gouged so bad that you can not replace the clutch assembly.

Clutch set Honda part # 38900-RCA-A01

You can buy a cheap compressor with a clutch on it and ready to go on Ebay for $249. I purchased a similar one for my Moms 1997 Honda Civic and it fit perfectly and cools great, and for hundreds less than anything else.

Link to Ebay compressor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-COMP...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a6a64e71&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Just looked on www.rockauto.com and they have a compressor even cheaper with the clutch installed for $199.79, that is cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts