Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Without going underneath the car.
I dont' know much about mechanics but I can handle a screwdriver and step by step directions okay.
I think I can handle changing the air filter, cabin filter, transmission filter, lights, wiper blades...
Anything else? and at what mileage interval?
My 2006 Accord 2-Dr is approaching 30,000 miles and i don't want to spend $450 at the dealer.
Do I need to flush fluids or can i just top off? I was reading flushing is a waste this early in the car's life..

What about the mythical fuel filter that always costs $100. I can't seem to buy one of these anywhere...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Outside of tire pressure, you've about covered what you can do without going under your car. If you've got some wrenches, a socket set, filter wrench, & drain pan you can easily change your oil and trans fluid without jacking the car up if you're willing to go partly under the front of the car and are not very large. If you have an auto trans don't flush it. Just drain and refill. 7th gen autos are kind of a weak point. Though not required, it's not a bad idea to drain and refill @ 30,000. Forget about the fuel filter- there's a reason you can't buy one. If I recall (feel free to correct me anyone) it's inside the gas tank and not accessible.

·
Forum Insomniac
388 Posts
Forget about the fuel filter- there's a reason you can't buy one. If I recall (feel free to correct me anyone) it's inside the gas tank and not accessible.
Being a smart a$$, you're right about the fuel filter, but anything's accessible lol. It's just a pain in the butt accessing it.

·
4,637 Posts
Probably the best thing you can do is keep an eye on ALL the fluid levels and top them off when needed. Oil, atf, Coolant, psf and brake fluid checked every 2 weeks. If going on a long trip check before and after trip. Refill with the same fluid thats currently in the car.

Replace air and cabin filter when needed. Do these simple things and you can save ALOT of money on future repairs.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Definitely windshield wiper blades... The only thing is to be careful to get the right replacement blades - if you do, they'll perform better and install easier. If you don't, they'll be harder to install and may not work correctly (too long, too short, wrong attachment that binds, etc.). If you use the application guides in the store or online, you'll be good-to-go.

Best of luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Definitely windshield wiper blades... The only thing is to be careful to get the right replacement blades - if you do, they'll perform better and install easier. If you don't, they'll be harder to install and may not work correctly (too long, too short, wrong attachment that binds, etc.). If you use the application guides in the store or online, you'll be good-to-go.

Best of luck,
Jeff
It is a good suggestion that you can do your own wiper blades, but you might want to stick with OEM insert replacements. Many aftermarket blades don't work properly on the driver's side, due mostly to the u-shaped bracket on the bottom of the wiper arm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts