Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i need some help. We have a 89 Honda. The thing ran and drove great since we got it. It used to not like starting in the cold but that was years ago. Now the car sat for a couple years. And i need to start driving it as a commuter. problem is that when your start it (you have to jump it because the battery is dead) but it'll run awesome for about 30 second. Then it'll slowly start to idle down and then you have to practically keep it floored to keep it running. It did have a problem the last couple times we drove it of wanting to die when you pull up to a stop sign or light. You'd have to pop it in neutral or power brake it to keep it running. I have two thoughts after doing some research. One the fuel filter is full of stuff and when you start it after sitting it'll slowly pull all the gunk into the filter. Or, there's a vacuum line problem. Let me know guys. Id appreciate it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can you give more details on the car? Like prior maintenance and the trim if I'm not mistaken that generation came with either carburetor or fuel injected.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Can you give more details on the car? Like prior maintenance and the trim if I'm not mistaken that generation came with either carburetor or fuel injected.
1987 was the last year of the carb, only on the DX model. I know, I had one lol. Sounds like a fuel issue. Check your filter, pump, injectors. If it's been sitting so long, a full tune up would be advantageous.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
so did i lol mines was an 86 LX-i had the Fuel injector; miss that lil thing was a great beater.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to remember to get a little better info tomorrow. Where would you guys say i should start? Fuel filter?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'll try to remember to get a little better info tomorrow. Where would you guys say i should start? Fuel filter?
Id try a fuel filter but also a fuel dryer. Water could have gotten in the tank from sitting so long. Id try to run the tank dry, fill it up with some evaporator you buy at Advance. Fuel filter should be pretty easily accessible by the firewall.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
514 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts